Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
In this one :

In this article : Michkov is ranked 2nd best prospect, Reinbacher is 38th

Michkov is at the same ranking in Wheeler's rankings and Reinbacher isnot in the top 32.

I mean I get all of what you guys said, but from what is presented to us, Michkov is in a tier with Demidov whereas Reinbacher is like 2 tiers below.

I'm under the impression that many people here will go to war to defend our guy. But the truth is Michkov is ranked WAY higher right now as a prospect. We all know it can change in the long run though.

What is valued by public lists like that are not valued the same way by NHL teams and NHL scouts who are trying to build a cup winning team.

Demidov is ranked 3rd and well above Levshunov.. yet Chicago faced with the same decision as us, did the same thing we did.. because NHL teams get the big rangy RDs when they have the chance.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
In this one :

Michkov is at the same ranking in Wheeler's rankings and Reinbacher isnot in the top 32.

I mean I get all of what you guys said, but from what is presented to us, Michkov is in a tier with Demidov whereas Reinbacher is like 2 tiers below.

I'm under the impression that many people here will go to war to defend our guy. But the truth is Michkov is ranked WAY higher right now as a prospect. We all know it can change in the long run though.

Michkov is in the same tier as Demidov in the same way that Reinbacher is in the same tiers as Nemec and Levshunov

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Pavel Bure, Connor McDavid, Patrick Kane and Guy Lafleur were some of the greatest player ever and are all cherry pickers.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your overall point but 2 of them haven't won anything and the other 2 played on two of the greatest dynasties in history

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
In this one :

He's an amateur scout, I'm not saying they're all terrible, but they always look at players in terms of fantasy upside. Dmen, especially big ones, and even more RDs, are consistently undervalued while small wingers and small puckmoving LDs are overvalued. Rarity plays a massive role as does roster construction and compatibility

Just look at this season, the small puckmoving LD that was rumoured to go as early as 3rd went 12th. I know it's somewhat of an appeal to authority, but the scouting services with the most ressources and time consistently favour something else than the online community's perception of what the BPA are past the ultra-consensus. Maybe it's the fans who are wrong

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
Michkov today would top our prospect list. He will play with the Flyers 1 year after being drafted. Probably will be contending for the Calder. He was compared to Bedard in terms of talent ffs.

Savoie was drafted a year before Michkov and has played 1 game so far. I believe he has stagnated as well IIRC. Not comparable at all.

I think he would have eventually become our best forward and Caufield would've been the one who's traded if need be. Caufield has a LOT more value than Savoie.
caufield would probably get you a top 10 pick like debrincat did, but no way you'd get a potential top pairing rhd with size like reinbacher or potential first line power forward like slafkovsky. for the most part, you have to draft those types of players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In this one :

So Bob Smith says...

If people watch Demidov and watch Michkov over the years, it's clear as day to tell them apart. Demidov though lacks physical tools (lower body strength, upper body strength) so projections are still hard to make until he gets more man strength. Michkov is clear much more advanced physically (366 days older) and his shot is f***ing lethal but that's about it imo.

I have a lot of concerns with Reinbacher, I'd say he likely looked the worst of any D+1 Habs 1st rounder I can think of off the top of my head. Just a brutal year for the most part, the scouting reports did not look close to what I saw and the mistakes I saw were eye opening. That said he's got so many NHL tools that he is a lock to be at worst a 5th/6th D. He's got NHL size, strength, with above average skating/mobility but needs more work. He's really aggressive with closing the gap or using his stick to break up plays but he also makes too many poor decisions in his own end and reads when he has to pivot. That said I liked the puck skills more then I thought I would.

Reinbacher if this season was more about him having to adjust to such a increase in weight in say a years time going from 185 to 209. So if he ends up more like the scouting reports, he could be the kind of D that you win in the playoffs with. This kid could be something really special for sure or he could end up more of a nothing burger. At 5th OA the offense better be pretty good.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
In this one :

guess who was #38 prospect on the athetic's list in 2018

NOAH DOBSON :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

those lists are joke. tolvanen #5, zadina #8, boqvist and connor timmins ahead of makar, quinn hughes at #26. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Hockey fascism boards.com
1722023355554.jpeg

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I was exagerating to illustrate my point. Stars are a more important part of winning than positions, and my personal opinion is that Michkov has better odds being the better player.

In the NFL, where they draft mostly 21, 22 and 23 years old players, drafting by need is a thing because the prospects are a lot less raw and a lot more projectable than 18 years old hockey prospects. A lot of them have immediate impact in the pro game in year 1. And even then it's a crapshoot!

I'll repeat, i believe micro planning specific roles for a future team multiple years down the line based on 17 years old kids seasons in junior hockey is a major fool's errand. I'd much rather hoard talent until at least a clear picture of a contending core can be drawn, then it's time for the adjustments, that are absolutely to be done OUTSIDE of the draft.
Toronto Maple leafs

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
So Bob Smith says...

If people watch Demidov and watch Michkov over the years, it's clear as day to tell them apart. Demidov though lacks physical tools (lower body strength, upper body strength) so projections are still hard to make until he gets more man strength. Michkov is clear much more advanced physically (366 days older) and his shot is f***ing lethal but that's about it imo.

I have a lot of concerns with Reinbacher, I'd say he likely looked the worst of any D+1 Habs 1st rounder I can think of off the top of my head. Just a brutal year for the most part, the scouting reports did not look close to what I saw and the mistakes I saw were eye opening. That said he's got so many NHL tools that he is a lock to be at worst a 5th/6th D. He's got NHL size, strength, with above average skating/mobility but needs more work. He's really aggressive with closing the gap or using his stick to break up plays but he also makes too many poor decisions in his own end and reads when he has to pivot. That said I liked the puck skills more then I thought I would.

Reinbacher if this season was more about him having to adjust to such a increase in weight in say a years time going from 185 to 209. So if he ends up more like the scouting reports, he could be the kind of D that you win in the playoffs with. This kid could be something really special for sure or he could end up more of a nothing burger. At 5th OA the offense better be pretty good.
How about adjusting to four coaches( with different systems and styles) and two leagues in one year? Give the kid a break. Still averaged almost .5 PPG through all of that. He’s going to be a stud for us.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
In this one :

Wheeler isn't reliable. He tends to like small skilled players and will keep his draft favorites high even when they have no business remaining at their spots. He had Seider 36th in his draft year, a completely ridiculous ranking even without hindsight. He had Seider only 11th after his strong SHL and AHL seasons. He had Slaf as the 10th prospect in 2022.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
In more than 95% of the draft in the history of the NHL, there was at least one defenseman picked top 5. Often picked before 5, and often two or more in the top 5.

So lets make it clear again if it wasnt obvious already.

Reinbacher at 5 is not a reach.

Even if in our own opinion he is nothing more than a 2nd pairing defensive dman and Michkov is already a perennial 100 points player.

By every objective metrics, Reinbacher was picked at his spot. I would even argue that a top RD like him is seldom available at 5 overall. (2021 no top RD available, 2022 Nemec 2nd OV, 2024 Levshunov 2nd OV, 2018-2019-2020 no top RD available in the top 5.)

***Notice how scarce the competent, top 4 RHD are relative to the LHD?****

It could be a blunder, if Michkov is a top 10 player in the NHL. There is an inherent risk with skipping a prospect like Michkov. But the fact remains that Reinbacher was picked at his spot at the draft.
This is a terrible justification for the pick and I don’t mind the pick.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don’t get the point of the M. posts… It keeps bumping the thread… Like hf posters never heard if him? That we turn on Reinbacher as though they were related somehow? That we share the hate for Hab management? It’s so lame.
It’s a discussion board to reflect on the choices Habs management has made. We don’t have to love/agree with every pick. It doesn’t mean we won’t root for the player.

I didn’t want Slaf and now I’m a huge fan. I think some of you take yourselves too seriously. If all we did was get Pom poms out for every managerial decision it would be a pretty boring place.

I don’t get the point of the M. posts… It keeps bumping the thread… Like hf posters never heard if him? That we turn on Reinbacher as though they were related somehow? That we share the hate for Hab management? It’s so lame.
It’s a discussion board to reflect on the choices Habs management has made. We don’t have to love/agree with every pick. It doesn’t mean we won’t root for the player.

I didn’t want Slaf and now I’m a huge fan. I think some of you take yourselves too seriously. If all we did was get Pom poms out for every managerial decision it would be a pretty boring place.
At this point, mentionning "Michkov" outside of the out of town thread should be a 1 month ban.
Nonsense.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
So Bob Smith says...

Reinbacher if this season was more about him having to adjust to such an increase in weight in say a years time going from 185 to 209. So if he ends up more like the scouting reports, he could be the kind of D that you win in the playoffs with. This kid could be something really special for sure or he could end up more of a nothing burger. At 5th OA the offense better be pretty good.
I don’t think there is much offense there, but I still think he’ll be a solid second pair dman. Him and Guhle together seems like a potential top 2nd pair in the league type pairing.

Hutson and Mallioux, Harris and Barron. I like the d a lot. Still lots of questions, but they will start being answered soon. I think jackeye has pretty good value around the league, I would move him.

Reactions: mdk

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Single most frustrating part is that we're all supposed to pretend Michkov was BPA and there's no discussion to be had. Lucky considering they then use his appointed BPA status has a cudgel for the entirety of the rest of the argument. "It's the MB years all over again reaching for need and not skill."
Whether or not Michkov was BPA, Reinbacher surely wasn't.

Toronto Maple leafs
Toronto would be a pretty amazing team if they had any heart in the playoffs.

Reactions: HabsQC

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
How about adjusting to four coaches( with different systems and styles) and two leagues in one year? Give the kid a break. Still averaged almost .5 PPG through all of that. He’s going to be a stud for us.
Pretty much every draft bust in history had people making excuses like these for their lack of development.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
caufield would probably get you a top 10 pick like debrincat did, but no way you'd get a potential top pairing rhd with size like reinbacher or potential first line power forward like slafkovsky. for the most part, you have to draft those types of players.
When did Reinbacher show he could be a top pairing RHD? Certainly not last season...

Michkov right now absolutely gets you Reinbacher. And the odds are in favor of it staying that way.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

there's no breaks, I just post what I see from one year to the next. Whatever he does next year I'll post about what I see good or bad.

Reactions: HabsQC and Gustave

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
When did Reinbacher show he could be a top pairing RHD? Certainly not last season...

He has shown it in spades in the last two season. The stretch of bad games he had in Kloten last year are less than his great training camp and his games in Laval where he displayed absolute top pair potential. Thats also ignoring his very strong DY.

Reactions: Andrei79

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No.

Fiala was not cheap. Its market price for those smallish winger.

They are the easiest to acquire, most available pieces.

Where as top pair RD are the most scarce, toughest to acquire along with the 1C.

Economics 101. Offer and demand.

Reinbacher and Michkov. Faber and Fiala. Nemec and Wright. Levshunov and Demidov. Etc.
So we should've picked Levshunov ahead of Demidov had he been there ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad