Prospect Info: David Reinbacher - Get Well Soon Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
A top pairing RHD is the hardest asset to find. On the opposite, if they are star-level forward, small winger holds marginal value and you can find them each and every year for fringe assets.

This general rule works, but is limited by the actual output of the player.

In other words, you'd have a hard time trying to trade for Stankoven by offering Barron.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
One of the overlooked silver linings to his injury is that he'll accrue less pro games and make him less likely to be eligible to the upcoming expansion drafts.

I'm not too worried about his development. More worried about his future health and durability.

Sometimes these surgeries end up being a blessing in disguise and it fixes something that isn't unhealthy with the knee but might not be structurally sound. Advances in medicine for things like this are pretty spectacular.

Missed game time sucks a lot but he's so young that I don't think it does anything but delay his arrival and put Mailloux in the drivers seat to graduate on the right side first and give Barron more runway.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Sometimes these surgeries end up being a blessing in disguise and it fixes something that isn't unhealthy with the knee but might not be structurally sound. Advances in medicine for things like this are pretty spectacular.

Missed game time sucks a lot but he's so young that I don't think it does anything but delay his arrival and put Mailloux in the drivers seat to graduate on the right side first and give Barron more runway.

It's still highly worrisome.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
This general rule works, but is limited by the actual output of the player.

In other words, you'd have a hard time trying to trade for Stankoven by offering Barron.

Yes because Barron is not a top pair RHD.

Stankoven would not bring anything close to a top pair RHD in a trade either.

I know you want to imply that Reinbacher has to become it. But useless semantics aside, like him being a 2D, Reinbacher has absolutely been drafted for his ability to play the top pair on the right side and constantly win his defensive assognment and defending the rush against other team top line night after night.

Reactions: Miller Time

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yes because Barron is not a top pair RHD.

Stankoven would not bring anything close to a top pair RHD in a trade either.

And the point is that many see Michkov as more likely to hit his ceiling and that ceiling being much higher than Reinbacher's. If a few years from now Michkov is a ppg+ first line winger and Reinbacher is a 2nd pairing D, any notion of Reinbacher having equal or higher value because of position will fly out the window. Reinbacher becoming a bonafide first pairing D is far from a sureshot.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
And the point is that many see Michkov as more likely to hit his ceiling and that ceiling being much higher than Reinbacher's. If a few years from now Michkov is a ppg+ first line winger and Reinbacher is a 2nd pairing D, any notion of Reinbacher having equal or higher value because of position will fly out the window. Reinbacher becoming a bonafide first pairing D is far from a sureshot.

100% agree, but it would also be intellectually honest from the people having this opinion to acknowledge the real value and scarcity of the top pairing archetype Reinbacher projects to be.

A friendly reminder that Toronto has no such type despite dangling Marner and Nylander on the trade market. Dallas top 3D are all LHD. Take a look at our prospect pool, ott traded chychrun for jensen to correct their imbalance and etc. Etc.

Reactions: Hinterland

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Reinbacher injury is much more crucial to Montreal than Laine. Reinbacher #5 pick, plays high end position, he's cornerstone piece to the team. This pushes rebuild back a year if not more. Might have to toss out '26 as the year.

Laine jury still out what we were going to get. He's hasn't played in almost a year, has lengthy injury history, missed half of last season on player assistant program. Most say 50/50 he scores 30 if injury never happened.

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 60M/yr scam artist, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Not being able to watch one of your top prospects play for an extended period of time blows especially when you hated the pick from the start and you're still looking for something concrete that could help you warm up to it. Won't happen this year I guess.

The uncertainty is so annoying, can't shake the feeling that this will not end well for us. Again. Really hope I'm wrong obviously.

And this is nothing personal, he's a great kid and I wish him well. I just have top pick bust PTSD. Get well soon DR.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Reinbacher injury is much more crucial to Montreal than Laine. Reinbacher #5 pick, plays high end position, he's cornerstone piece to the team. This pushes rebuild back a year if not more. Might have to toss out '26 as the year.

Laine jury still out what we were going to get. He's hasn't played in almost a year, has lengthy injury history, missed half of last season on player assistant program. Most say 50/50 he scores 30 if injury never happened.
Reinbacher wasn’t making the team, it not like he had some crazy progression either he is a high floor prospect which might play a important role but it will likely be a supporting role and he wasn’t going to make or break the rebuild next season, healthy Laine we had a lot more hope of having a impact would have done more because it help Dach which is very important to this rebuild and take some pressure off the 1st line. How many guy in the NHL score 30g in a season even if he would have had 25g pretty sure it a very successful season.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Noah Dobson showed sign of life 4 years after he been drafted. Can we be patient with Reinbacher please. Big players take more time to developp, especially Dman. He is gonna be a good one.

Seriously...
You'd think a fan base that has enjoyed the likes of Markov, PK & Weber would have at least some clue that many, many dmen take years before growing into elite top pairing players.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
That isn’t what happened. Go back and watch it in slow motion. If you look, he actually injures himself on the zone entry prior to any contact - he drags his left foot as he’s coming to a stop, bending his knee at an extremely awkward angle as he enters the zone. The hit, which was to his right side, was coincidental, and he falls because he was already injured.
No
The injury occurred when he fell *on* his left knee
Meniscus is a sort of cushioning for the bottom of the femur constantly landing *on* on the top of tibia

Tears vary, outside, inside, completely across
Unfortunately you're out for a while

Lets just hope next time we go with the BPA
I wish we went BPA at #26 overall in 2022 personally as well :)

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hugues in an interview mentionned that Reinbacher would stay around the Habs team (not Laval) during his rehab and they would keep him involved with the coaching staff / team (like Kirby last year)
smart, basically put him through NHL school with zero risk of him playing against competition that's over his head. It might lead to him starting in NHL immediately next year if he's fit.

Reinbacher will probably be the most controversial high pick of this era, but I think he was an excellent choice then and now.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Reinbacher wasn’t making the team, it not like he had some crazy progression either he is a high floor prospect which might play a important role but it will likely be a supporting role and he wasn’t going to make or break the rebuild next season, healthy Laine we had a lot more hope of having a impact would have done more because it help Dach which is very important to this rebuild and take some pressure off the 1st line. How many guy in the NHL score 30g in a season even if he would have had 25g pretty sure it a very successful season.
Reinbacher didn't have a good camp to what most were expecting. He would made team at some point this season. Likely trade deadline . Losing most this year going to push his development back. Be '26 before we get anything much out of him. Relative to 5th pick.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Reinbacher didn't have a good camp to what most were expecting. He would made team at some point this season. Likely trade deadline . Losing most this year going to push his development back. Be '26 before we get anything much out of him. Relative to 5th pick.
Maybe he just wasn’t having a good camp but he wasn’t blowing anyone away he was actually disappointing, he wasn’t even close to making the team, this isn’t career altering it is a set back and even if he make the team doesn’t mean he is having an impact. I’m still hoping to be wrong but maybe we also have to consider that he just wasn’t the best pick at 5 and will never live up to the potential that some people saw, I saw lot of attributes (speed, size, shot, poised) but to me he still lack puck handling skills, skating agility and creativity to create synergy with all is attributes. If Reinbacher doesn’t get injured and Laine season is over we still have a issue… Laine is ask to play a bigger role on the team he as the ability to have a bigger impact even if I only for the next 2 seasons and the better he does the more it help our core progress, Laine helping Dach who also had setbacks and need to take a step ( if he can’t be a top 6 C are rebuild is a failure regardless of Reinbacher), pushing everyone to a more appropriate chair as more impact than Reinbacher who isn’t stepping in to be a top 3 D being a marginally better player than Savard, Mailloux or Barron isn’t having a impact. Reinbacher injury is a personal setback but the team rebuild doesn’t hinge on Reinbacher being a elite top pairing D or being in the lineup, he was drafted because he a safe player making a lot of right/small plays realistically is up side is top 4 D and he isn’t driving the bus he is play a supporting role to Hutson or Matheson.
Laine injury is the bigger issue because it has the most immediate impact on the progression of our core and also any injury is reducing his potential impact.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I actually think he had a strong camp. He played really well with Matheson and is a perfect complement for a player like that. He's hard to beat because he uses his stick & reach so well to move players into areas they don't want to go.

He's already way better than Mailloux or Barron. I expect he'll finish the year out in Laval, but I think he makes the team next year.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I actually think he had a strong camp. He played really well with Matheson and is a perfect complement for a player like that. He's hard to beat because he uses his stick & reach so well to move players into areas they don't want to go.

He's already way better than Mailloux or Barron. I expect he'll finish the year out in Laval, but I think he makes the team next year.

Yeah, he had a good camp. He was going to go to Laval because we have the time to develop him slowly.

People just want Makar offense from a top 5 pick but that isn't what he is.. that doesn't stop people from looking for it and getting mad about it, I guess.

If you order vanilla ice cream, you can't be mad at it when there's no cookie dough in it.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, he had a good camp. He was going to go to Laval because we have the time to develop him slowly.

People just want Makar offense from a top 5 pick but that isn't what he is.. that doesn't stop people from looking for it and getting mad about it, I guess.

If you order vanilla ice cream, you can't be mad at it when there's no cookie dough in it.

He's the eventual partner to Hutson, imo. He's a smart, defensively strong player, who is about taking the best routes and closing guys off. He's strong on his stick, and makes solid outlets.

He's going to be really, really good. No, he's not going to be dynamic offensively, and wow you with offensive plays. He's going to lead our PK, be our shutdown guy, and play 25-30 minutes of worry-free hockey a night.

I still see him putting up 35-45 pts eventually.

Reactions: pepperMonkey

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Ya count me among those who think this injury doesn’t really change anything for Reinbacher. Obviously getting hurt sucks but it really won’t alter anything. Laine injury was the real concern and we got fortunate there thank the lord.

Reactions: Picaroon

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
He's the eventual partner to Hutson, imo. He's a smart, defensively strong player, who is about taking the best routes and closing guys off. He's strong on his stick, and makes solid outlets.

He's going to be really, really good. No, he's not going to be dynamic offensively, and wow you with offensive plays. He's going to lead our PK, be our shutdown guy, and play 25-30 minutes of worry-free hockey a night.

I still see him putting up 35-45 pts eventually.
I always thought he was gonna impress more in terms of offense once he gets to play in the NHL with better players. Remember the assist he got during one of the rookie game, on a give and go? It was nice to see.

He has it in him. Maybe with confidence it will come more often. Playing with Hutson too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad