Recalled/Assigned: David Reinbacher Assigned to the Laval Rocket

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's similar for me as well
Where as I've never been of the mind 'no, you're wrong, my guy is better than your guy'
It was always about 'wow, guys, can we give the kids more than , forget 80+ NHL games, can we give them more time than calling them busts while they're still teenagers...?'
I just can never get over that for real
And I say that as a self admitted Cooley/Leonard man to boot
Yep. This year I want Eiserman. I know a lot of people disagree and for good reason.

But if we get Catton or Demidov or Lidstrom or whoever… I’ll be happy. We’re getting a good player no matter what. Just let them develop and see where it goes.

Maybe Michkov will be the better player. But it will be a lot less painful if RB is helping us win games regardless. We owe him that chance.

I guarantee you though that if Mich comes to the NHL and lights it up, we will never hear the end of it regardless of how RB is playing.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Yep. This year I want Eiserman. I know a lot of people disagree and for good reason.

But if we get Catton or Demidov or Lidstrom or whoever… I’ll be happy. We’re getting a good player no matter what. Just let them develop and see where it goes.

Maybe Michkov will be the better player. But it will be a lot less painful if RB is helping us win games regardless. We owe him that chance.

I guarantee you though that if Mich comes to the NHL and lights it up, we will never hear the end of it regardless of how RB is playing.
That's fine, 6 other teams should hear about it too
Except, for them it would mean Mich is outperforming their own drafted F's, Which is a super bad optic
While we 'at least' opted for an otherwise HUGE core/team building piece in taking a stab at the forever elusive and hard to get RD1
And our safety net was, we already had a Mailloux as well should the worst happen

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

You got me thinking what would the Reinbacher pick have sounded like if it was live at the Bell Center. :help:

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
While we 'at least' opted for an otherwise HUGE core/team building piece in taking a stab at the forever elusive and hard to get RD1
And our safety net was, we already had a Mailloux as well should the worst happen
I hate how Hughes addressed the media after that pick, he absolutely fumbled it in my eyes.

He essentially came out saying he drafted by need and that he viewed Reinbacher as a future 2nd pair defenseman. I get you don't want to get expectations too high, but from a PR perspective those 2 quotes from him were terrible.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I hate how Hughes addressed the media after that pick, he absolutely fumbled it in my eyes.

He essentially came out saying he drafted by need and that he viewed Reinbacher as a future 2nd pair defenseman. I get you don't want to get expectations too high, but from a PR perspective those 2 quotes from him were terrible.
I actually kind of agree

As those comments of hughes keep getting spewed up as anti-arguments against the kid constantly by uninformed people

It would of just been best to say 'we got high hopes for the kid' and that's it
But I definitely 'get' what Hughes was trying to do

If David tops out as a #3D (as in 2nd pair), Hughes can be like 'well, I told you not to get too excited!'
But if David turns out to be the fabled RD1
Hughes can be like 'well... I was trying not to get everyone too excited.." lmao

It was lose lose really
It's all up to The Rein really

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I actually kind of agree

As those comments of hughes keep getting spewed up as anti-arguments against the kid constantly by uninformed people

It would of just been best to say 'we got high hopes for the kid' and that's it
But I definitely 'get' what Hughes was trying to do

If David tops out as a #3D (as in 2nd pair), Hughes can be like 'well, I told you not to get too excited!'
But if David turns out to be the fabled RD1
Hughes can be like 'well... I was trying not to get everyone too excited.." lmao

It was lose lose really
It's all up to The Rein really

They botched the whole draft media last year. We didn't get any info on most of their picks. Just a really bad job all around.

Hopefully this year they do a better job as they did during the Slaf draft year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
All I know is that after watching this game on AHL TV On Demand we should all be fired up about David Reinbacher. He is going to be a good one.
I only watched part of the game. How did he look in comparison to Mailloux, for example. It's way too early to draw conclusions, but I'm just curious.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I only watched part of the game. How did he look in comparison to Mailloux, for example. It's way too early to draw conclusions, but I'm just curious.
Mailloux still has a ways to go to round out his defensive game whereas it looked like Reinbacher appears more ready defensively. With that said maybe Houle had Mailloux playing against the top lines and maybe he sheltered Reinbacher a bit more. That is hard to tell because they rotated 5 D and I don't know the talent level of Belleville players.
Mailloux purposely plays a more high risk high reward game whereas Reinbacher plays a steady all around game.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Mailloux still has a ways to go to round out his defensive game whereas it looked like Reinbacher appears more ready defensively. With that said maybe Houle had Mailloux playing against the top lines and maybe he sheltered Reinbacher a bit more. That is hard to tell because they rotated 5 D and I don't know the talent level of Belleville players.
Mailloux purposely plays a more high risk high reward game whereas Reinbacher plays a steady all around game.
Mailloux has a very dominant 1st year in the AHL. It's very unlikely he wont become at least a 2nd pairing dman at the NHL level. It's too soon to call anything for Reinbacher but he had a strong 1st game. Defensively i think he's already a very good 1 on 1 checking dman. He made a few blunders mostly while trying to clear the zone in panic but he's quick to react and try to correct the mistake. He has good hands that's for sure. The tools are there absolutely no doubt and his AI looks better than Barron.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
By the way, why did they rotate 5 D? Who didn't play?

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Mailloux has a very dominant 1st year in the AHL. It's very unlikely he wont become at least a 2nd pairing dman at the NHL level. It's too soon to call anything for Reinbacher but he had a strong 1st game. Defensively i think he's already a very good 1 on 1 checking dman. He made a few blunders mostly while trying to clear the zone in panic but he's quick to react and try to correct the mistake. He has good hands that's for sure. The tools are there absolutely no doubt and his AI looks better than Barron.
I agree about Mailloux having a dominant 1st pro season. It's amazing to me that he has played about 150 games since being drafted and he is still this far along.
I have said it on a few occasions recently that while his defensive game still needs work, it has improved immensely from opening night. He is on a good trajectory.

By the way, why did they rotate 5 D? Who didn't play?
Trudeau got injured early on and didn't return

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal

He never said 2nd pair defenseman. He said he might not be a 1st D because he won't run a PP. Never said he won't be a first pair D (since it's quite evident to anyone with a little bit of hockeyIQ he will most probably a first pair D).

English isn't my first language but what he said was pretty clear...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

He didn't "essentially" do any such thing. Your use of the term "essentially" is a blatant tell that you are paraphrasing in order to conform to your narrative.

Mentioning the fact that the player plays a premium position does not automatically default the narrative to picking for need. That is a fallacious deduction which incorrectly and arbitrarily asserts that the position was the main attraction when the evidence clearly points to it being a factor that separates players that they similarly value.

Hughes and Gorton value players who they think will result in the greatest number of wins gained by acquiring them, thus is their BPA. You are following a narrow interpretation of BPA as the player who will score the most points.

Last edited:

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal

I chuckled at the AI lapsus

• Haha
Reactions: LaP

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I agree. Could’ve handled it better. Maybe he wanted to lower expectations but I don’t think that was the time to do it. He didn’t need to talk about pairings at all. It’s not a huge mistake or anything but I think he unnecessarily created controversy there.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

For the last time, Hughes NEVER said “2nd pair Dman”, he specifically said “D2” and in #2 on 1st pairing

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
The thing that bothers me most with fans is that they have ‘their guy’ and then dump all over the player we go with if it wasn’t who they wanted. Like… seriously man, give the player a chance. We saw that with Slaf and we’re seeing it with this guy.

I hate to keep repeating this but it’s a marathon, not a sprint. We should be welcoming this guy, not crapping all over him. If he doesn’t live up to where we got him… okay, but we won’t know that for years. In the meantime, just give him the time to develop.

I’ll fully admit, I wanted Michkov. Wanted Wright too… but that’s not who we got. Look at how Slaf is doing now. No reason RB can’t be successful as well. Had a rough year but was on a terrible club. Let’s see what he can do now.

I’m glad he’s finally in the AHL too. Hopefully they give him a full year there and he joins with Hutson in 25-26.

Because like much of society today, it's all about ME.

21st century society and social media have fostered narcissism in all generations, but especially the younger ones that have grown up with social media.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto

Hughes is learning on the fly, he’s smart he’ll keep getting better at communication. Ultimately though, so far we haven’t seen anything to suggest that he’s going to make decisions that will hurt the club for the sake of pleasing fans and the press and I’m all about it. Now he has my trust to lose.

If we had that kind of decision making 15 years ago we’d be taking Kreider at the draft and not Leblanc and that would have had a monumental impact on the future of that team, just like what Slaf is feeling like right now.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad