Recalled/Assigned: David Reinbacher Assigned to the Laval Rocket

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021
It will be fun to watch 3 young RD prospects in the same game. Belleville for some reason always owns Laval...it think it has to do with on ice intimidation.
I agree about the on ice intimidation.. I can see Laval getting more "gritty" along with talented over the next couple of years.. Florian Xhekaj will definitely help with that department.

I get annoyed watchin guys like Boko Memama and Kyle Clifford of the Marlies runnin' around.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I agree about the on ice intimidation.. I can see Laval getting more "gritty" along with talented over the next couple of years.. Florian Xhekaj will definitely help with that department.

I get annoyed watchin guys like Boko Memama and Kyle Clifford of the Marlies runnin' around.
Laval had Yaramenko and Legare and they helped with team toughness but somehow they trade one and demote the other. Of course the Xman is gone as well.

Reactions: HockeyJunkie87

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Many are definitely being labeled as a hater. You can like another prospect more than him but also still like Reinbacher.

It's not a style/player comparison, I should have made that clear. It was more the fact that Josi was producing similarly during their draft year, and the expectation was obviously that Reinbacher as a top 5 pick would explode this year. I mean we mostly say things like how "KK/Galchenyuk/Slaf should have gone back and dominate" and the fact that we finally did this with a top 5 pick, expectations were for him to be dominant similarly to how Josi was in his 2nd year.

How was their draft year similar? Josi's scoring wasn't anywhere close. Also, the NL is a much stronger league now compared to 15 years ago. Furthermore, Josi played on a completely loaded Bern team that dominated the regular season while Kloten only got promoted ahead of last season. Josi's draft season was the 2nd best ever played in the NL when Reinbacher got drafted but it still wasn't close. In fact I'd argue that Muggli's draft season is better than Josi's, too.

Reactions: Andrei79

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
On that play, he reminds me of Noah Dobson. If Habs have drafted a Dobson 2.0, it's a huge W for this team. No matter who have been selected after Reinbacher.

I think, we can expect that type of impact for Reinbacher. He have played a really great rookie year in Swiss league.
You can t prevent people from looking at whom they could have gotten. But if you get a top 2D you can t really complain even if you had a 50 goal scorer behind him.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
You can t prevent people from looking at whom they could have gotten. But if you get a top 2D you can t really complain even if you had a 50 goal scorer behind him.
We really need him to be a Top 2D, not just because Michkov was drafted after him (which in itself is a good enough reason), was also need another Top pairing D as the only one that we have that’s really in line with our window (probably 4-6 years from now) is Guhle. Hutson doesn’t project to be good enough defensively imo to be at that level and Mailloux either.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
How was their draft year similar? Josi's scoring wasn't anywhere close. Also, the NL is a much stronger league now compared to 15 years ago. Furthermore, Josi played on a completely loaded Bern team that dominated the regular season while Kloten only got promoted ahead of last season. Josi's draft season was the 2nd best ever played in the NL when Reinbacher got drafted but it still wasn't close. In fact I'd argue that Muggli's draft season is better than Josi's, too.
Lol I meant D+1 sorry my brain is fried today. There's a reason why Reinbacher went top 5 and Josi went 2nd round.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
We really need him to be a Top 2D, not just because Michkov was drafted after him (which in itself is a good enough reason), was also need another Top pairing D as the only one that we have that’s really in line with our window (probably 4-6 years from now) is Guhle. Hutson doesn’t project to be good enough defensively imo to be at that level and Mailloux either.
I think only time will tell if Guhle Reinbacher are top 2Ds or not. For me the best comp for Reinbacher is Pietrangelo, the kind of player you win cups with. He may bust like any prospect but if he does not, that s where the Habs D really becomes interesting.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I don't disagree with that in general. But its important to point out that Josi was almost a year younger in his draft year than Reinbacher. So if you adjust the comparison from draft to birth year their production is very much comparable in a vacuum. Also when Josi was only slightly older than Reinbacher is now he was already the best player in Berns championship run in the NLA that year. I remember that pretty well. Thats no knack on Reinbacher but I don't think he at 19 is as good a prospect as Josi was at that age. An that is factoring in team/league context.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't disagree with that in general. But its important to point out that Josi was almost a year younger in his draft year than Reinbacher. So if you adjust the comparison from draft to birth year their production is very much comparable in a vacuum. Also when Josi was only slightly older than Reinbacher is now he was already the best player in Berns championship run in the NLA that year. I remember that pretty well. Thats no knack on Reinbacher but I don't think he at 19 is as good a prospect as Josi was at that age. An that is factoring in team/league context.

That's true but I think they're difficult to compare. Firstly the NL was nowhere near as good back then as it is now. It's arguably the best league outside of the NHL today or pretty close from that at the very least whereas back then it wasn't as nearly as good as the KHL and also definitely significantly worse than the AHL or the Northern European leagues. NL was stronger during the lockouts but they were 04/05 and 12/13 so not when Josi played for Bern.

Also, Reinbacher was the best player on Kloten's team and with his playing style he depends on capable teammates more than Josi does because he's less of a puck hog and possession monster but more of a fast paced hockey and transition guy. Josi is also much better on the PP which of course did increase his point total. Reinbacher didn't get much PP-time and Kloten's PP was trash this season anyway. Also, Reinbacher does play heavy minutes but is best used and most efficient at even strength which means that he's scoring less but doesn't make him a worse player in my view. Also, on that loaded Bern team Josi was on, Reinbacher would have scored a ton as well.

So you definitely mentioned some very good points but I think they're really difficult to compare because their situations were entirely different and so is their playing style. We'll find out what Reinbacher is all about over the next two seasons I think. I'm not sure Reinbacher is gonna be as good as Josi who's of course an absolute superstar and franchise defenseman but I wouldn't bet against it either. It's certainly possible and I think the upside is there. His play this season is kinda difficult to assess so we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
On that play, he reminds me of Noah Dobson. If Habs have drafted a Dobson 2.0, it's a huge W for this team. No matter who have been selected after Reinbacher.

I think, we can expect that type of impact for Reinbacher. He have played a really great rookie year in Swiss league.

Dobson is a good comparison in terms of his potential style. Hopefully he is as good or better.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Escuse me, He's a failed pick if he doenst develop into Moritz Seider 2.0. In fact, everytime Michkov scores a point anywhere, Reinbacher has to score while landing a triple axle.
Is that what you and your like minded zany sidekicks are hoping for?

Oh and thanks for clearly demonstrating why glue sniffing is not a good idea, the slurred typing gave it away. It can make the most stable person and transform them into a stark raving lunatic as clearly demonstrated so effectively. lol

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think only time will tell if Guhle Reinbacher are top 2Ds or not. For me the best comp for Reinbacher is Pietrangelo, the kind of player you win cups with. He may bust like any prospect but if he does not, that s where the Habs D really becomes interesting.

I have to chuckle a bit when I see your username and then compare reinbacher to peiterangelo. He was at one point among the best dmen in the league. We should be giddy if that happens.

I hope you're right but my expectations are more tempered. I'd be happy enough if he slots in the way hamrlik did on the habs. Not comparing playing styles, but just role wise.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I have to chuckle a bit when I see your username and then compare reinbacher to peiterangelo. He was at one point among the best dmen in the league. We should be giddy if that happens.

I hope you're right but my expectations are more tempered. I'd be happy enough if he slots in the way hamrlik did on the habs. Not comparing playing styles, but just role wise.
How'd you feel if he's another Drew Doughty?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
You can rest assured that the development staff will be working with him tirelessly on improving his handling skills. I wouldn't say they are bad but they are spotty, sometimes they are good and sometimes they are bad, so finding consistency on the good will be key.
Not unlike Guhle in his draft year. You could see the puck handling go from meh to 'oh wow he can do that?'.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

I am not saying he is sorry if that was not clear. It would be great if he becomes Pietrangelo. My point was rather in terms of style of play that s who he reminds me of. :)

HE'S IN SOUND THE ALARM

Gordie Howe hat trick or bust ;)

Reactions: JianYang

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Yeah watching Laval on AHL TV while they play in Belleville is almost unwatchable. That venue is brutal. The cameras are too far away, the building is empty, just not fun to watch.
Most frustrating of all is that they’re ahead in the standings!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad