Player Discussion: David Jiricek

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
Funny he thinks he’s a everyday nhl player he’s been ass and should be in the AHL and shouldn’t have even sniffed the big boy club

Gotta love the confidence tho

Reactions: thebus88

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Funny he thinks he’s a everyday nhl player he’s been ass and should be in the AHL and shouldn’t have even sniffed the big boy club

Gotta love the confidence tho
I’d put him as 4th best defenseman on the team this year behind Werenski , Severson , Boquivst ..

Jarmo wanted him in the NHL , told him to get a place in Columbus . Can’t blame him for being upset at the incompetence

Reactions: Yawn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Thats the stupid stuff you create yourself when you have a moron GM thats boosts your ego and then puts himself in a poor position he created. His agent is that same sort of ego booster too so that doesnt help. Youd think a guy that has been a GM for a decade would stop acting like a scout but he has still does the same stupid shit and falls in lovr with his own draft picks too soon

I don't like how Jarmo brought him up and told him to get a place, his play never merited that.

But today I'm just disappointed in Jiricek's attitude. It doesn't matter what a GM told you months ago, you should be able to see your own play and know that you have more fundamental things to work on. Focus on the major points of improvement like skating and strength.

His competitive fire is channeled right now into playing better the next game. He wants another crack at it. He's comparing himself to more finished players like Nemec. But he needs to channel that competitive fire into becoming a better player over the long run, he's not close to being prime Jiricek. This is the bambi version. You ain't shit yet kid.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
I’d put him as 4th best defenseman on the team this year behind Werenski , Severson , Boquivst ..

Jarmo wanted him in the NHL , told him to get a place in Columbus . Can’t blame him for being upset at the incompetence
Agreed 100% I don’t blame him but playing in the nhl on the 3rd pair isn’t the best thing for him he needs to be in the ahl top pairing be around a winning team.

Reactions: Indy18

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't mind his comments to be honest. He may feel like he has earned playing in the NHL and is good enough, which is true.

But it's also true those aren't the goals the team has for Jiricek or how he's being judged. "Good enough" isn't enough for him. What they want to see is confidence and dominance at the NHL level. Since the Jackets are not doing well and the NHL isn't a development league, he's going back down.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
English is not Jarmo’s first language. Also, communications has never been Jarmo’s strength. From my experience with his news conferences (and my experience with Finns in general), he doesn’t say anything more than he thinks he has to.

English is not Jiricek’s first language. Also, Jiricek was a 19 year old boy when he was told to “get a place”. I know something about 19 year old boys. They hear what the want to hear. Sometime you need to say something more than once to get them to hear it. Sometimes you need to say “repeat back to me what you just heard” to make sure they actually heard what they were told.

Now we have twice seen something indicating Jiricek is unhappy with being in Cleveland. And the cause seems to be what has been communicated to Jiricek in the past and how, in his opinion, the actions of the Jackets are not in line with these communications.

I am not looking to lay blame on either side, but there is obviously either a miscommunications issue here or a subsequent change in expectations. And, given it very likely involved something that Jarmo said and something Jiricek heard or didn’t hear, I am not surprised.

We need agent Allan Walsh, Jiricek, someone from CBJ management (hopefully more than 1 person), Jiricek, and Pascal Vincent to get in a room with a neutral 3rd party communications expert and have an honest conversation about expectations for Jiricek and reasons why he will be assigned to Cleveland. This needs to be a no holds barred conversation that covers everything, including when and how Jiricek and Walsh can communicate with the media if an isssue or disagreement comes up.

This is purely my opinion, but I have worked on plenty of screwed up projects where the biggest issue was poor communications and that two or more sides had different expectations, but nobody was getting everyone together to make sure there were common understandings on important issues.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
English is not Jarmo’s first language. Also, communications has never been Jarmo’s strength. From my experience with his news conferences (and my experience with Finns in general), he doesn’t say anything more than he thinks he has to.

English is not Jiricek’s first language. Also, Jiricek was a 19 year old boy when he was told to “get a place”. I know something about 19 year old boys. They hear what the want to hear. Sometime you need to say something more than once to get them to hear it. Sometimes you need to say “repeat back to me what you just heard” to make sure they actually heard what they were told.

Now we have twice seen something indicating Jiricek is unhappy with being in Cleveland. And the cause seems to be what has been communicated to Jiricek in the past and how, in his opinion, the actions of the Jackets are not in line with these communications.

I am not looking to lay blame on either side, but there is obviously either a miscommunications issue here or a subsequent change in expectations. And, given it very likely involved something that Jarmo said and something Jiricek heard or didn’t hear, I am not surprised.

We need agent Allan Walsh, Jiricek, someone from CBJ management (hopefully more than 1 person), Jiricek, and Pascal Vincent to get in a room with a neutral 3rd party communications expert and have an honest conversation about expectations for Jiricek and reasons why he will be assigned to Cleveland. This needs to be a no holds barred conversation that covers everything, including when and how Jiricek and Walsh can communicate with the media if an isssue or disagreement comes up.

This is purely my opinion, but I have worked on plenty of screwed up projects where the biggest issue was poor communications and that two or more sides had different expectations, but nobody was getting everyone together to make sure there were common understandings on important issues.

I would like the sole focus of the FO/coach's comments about Jiricek to be about placing him where he needs to be to get him to his long term peak. I don't want to hear anything about where he fits in the depth chart. Too many comments about his level relative to other D. It shouldn't matter at all. I think they've made the wrong frame of reference for Jiricek to think about this.

Mostly though today I'm pissed at Allan Walsh. If you want to bring up a guy who isn't going to help a player understand reality, it's Allan Walsh.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I would like the sole focus of the FO/coach's comments about Jiricek to be about placing him where he needs to be to get him to his long term peak. I don't want to hear anything about where he fits in the depth chart. Too many comments about his level relative to other D. It shouldn't matter at all. I think they've made the wrong frame of reference for Jiricek to think about this.

Mostly though today I'm pissed at Allan Walsh. If you want to bring up a guy who isn't going to help a player understand reality, it's Allan Walsh.
I agree with this although I also have to say that Vincent's comment about Jiricek (and other similar age people/players) thinking they deserve things instantly also bothers me.

Jiricek spent almost all of last season in the AHL and has excelled.

Vincent's comment should have only been about what they think is best for Jiricek's development.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I don't want to hear anything about where he fits in the depth chart. Too many comments about his level relative to other D. It shouldn't matter at all. I think they've made the wrong frame of reference for Jiricek to think about this.

Agree 100%.

That is why I want to bring in an attractive woman in her 40s to have Jarmo and Vincent use a white board and colored markers to rank what they consider important for Jiricek and his development and his role on the team this year, and then I want Jiricek and Walsh to use different colored post it notes to respond how important they think Jarmo and Vincent’s points are. If you get an effective person to facilitate the discussion, we can move the discussion to what should be important, which is developing Jiricek into the best hockey player he could be. He could ignore things that shouldn’t matter (compliments like he is good enough to be a regular NHL player) and focus on what does matter (improving his skating, getting stronger, better anticipating what a forward will do).

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I agree with this although I also have to say that Vincent's comment about Jiricek (and other similar age people/players) thinking they deserve things instantly also bothers me.

Jiricek spent almost all of last season in the AHL and has excelled.

Vincent's comment should have only been about what they think is best for Jiricek's development.
Its just the way Vincent talks. I dont really enjoy it but its his normal.

Same as the people on the mains concerned about the 13 year old wanting to drive comment. Really shouldnt have gotten much thought but I guess I shouldnt be surprised the mains wanted to run with it

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
While I don’t know exactly what has or hasn’t been said to Jiricek, and don’t think Jarmo has handled Jiricek that great (as in he should probably NEVER been up to begin with-sorry David), I feel the complete opposite about who should be moved on from. The CBJ needs to be about THE TEAM again, not these whine ass individuals.

The housing situation, in a literal sense, I think is a non story, however his salary/paychecks could be part of what is annoying Jiricek at the moment, idk, but for him to act like he is above playing in the AHL right now, is asinine. He’s a borderline NHL player at this point, and the way the CBJ defense and team is built, he isn’t helping much in any way currently, IMO. His skating and overall defensive work is a legit liability.

That said, similar to Elvis/Laine, this aspect or level of “confidence” is something I personally don’t “jive” with. And I don’t see it as a good outlook for the future and how Jiricek will handle different situations as a “pro athlete” in the future. If/when he does get his opportunities, and starts actually playing well and performing, will he continue with the delusions of what he “deserves” when talking about contracts or ice time down the line??

How soon will he deserve more money than Severson/Werenski?? Do we care about how Mateychuk will handle the “I’m not a 2nd PP QB” quotes from Jiricek in the future??
If this was a standalone incident maybe but this is years in the making. His handling of kids has gone from grind them to dust to promise them the world. Both have been over the top. I think Jiricek has 2 bad voices speaking to him this year and Jarmo himself is one of them. Allan Walsh is also right in the middle of this. I dont know how well people know Walsh but this has a lot of his stink on it.

Jiricek has some growing up physically and mentally but thats the process. Giving up on kids who are still growing up would be kind of stupid, you are dealing with kids and personalities, its not a new concept and has been that way for years. Plenty of NHLers have had concerns and grown up to be great players and captains. Jagr and Getzlaf are 2 easy cases to bring up. A player I still wish was playing for us in Voracek would also be a good example.

I dont know why you pit Mateychuk and Jiricek against each other. They both offer very different things and will both be monumental to our future for different reasons.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't like how Jarmo brought him up and told him to get a place, his play never merited that.

But today I'm just disappointed in Jiricek's attitude. It doesn't matter what a GM told you months ago, you should be able to see your own play and know that you have more fundamental things to work on. Focus on the major points of improvement like skating and strength.

His competitive fire is channeled right now into playing better the next game. He wants another crack at it. He's comparing himself to more finished players like Nemec. But he needs to channel that competitive fire into becoming a better player over the long run, he's not close to being prime Jiricek. This is the bambi version. You ain't shit yet kid.
Hes pissed, I get it. I agree hes looking at it from the wrong angle which I know youve seen my other posts outlining that. But I will say his words show disappointed we know tons of players often feel that but keep it bottled. Even Nemec talked about his disappointment starting in Utica. But the part I care about is he showed up in Cleveland and is doing his job. People can want him to say certain things but at the end of the day hes doing what is asked and not being a bitch like Cutter Gauthier

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
If this was a standalone incident maybe but this is years in the making. His handling of kids has gone from grind them to dust to promise them the world. Both have been over the top. I think Jiricek has 2 bad voices speaking to him this year and Jarmo himself is one of them. Allan Walsh is also right in the middle of this. I dont know how well people know Walsh but this has a lot of his stink on it.

Jiricek has some growing up physically and mentally but thats the process. Giving up on kids who are still growing up would be kind of stupid, you are dealing with kids and personalities, its not a new concept and has been that way for years. Plenty of NHLers have had concerns and grown up to be great players and captains. Jagr and Getzlaf are 2 easy cases to bring up. A player I still wish was playing for us in Voracek would also be a good example.

I dont know why you pit Mateychuk and Jiricek against each other. They both offer very different things and will both be monumental to our future for different reasons.
Working with Jagr in Philadelphia was the reason Voracek got his head out of his ass. More the pity that Voracek's career ended when it did, because having that older Czech voice in the room could be invaluable with Jiricek. Trying to think who could possibly be that voice now that could be acquired. Maybe Hertl? There was a bit of a lull in hockey development in Czechia in the past decade or so, so there just aren't too many stars who fit the bill. Obviously Pastrnak is not an option.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Agree 100%.

That is why I want to bring in an attractive woman in her 40s to have Jarmo and Vincent use a white board and colored markers to rank what they consider important for Jiricek and his development and his role on the team this year, and then I want Jiricek and Walsh to use different colored post it notes to respond how important they think Jarmo and Vincent’s points are. If you get an effective person to facilitate the discussion, we can move the discussion to what should be important, which is developing Jiricek into the best hockey player he could be. He could ignore things that shouldn’t matter (compliments like he is good enough to be a regular NHL player) and focus on what does matter (improving his skating, getting stronger, better anticipating what a forward will do).

Wait, I’m confused, what’s the attractive women (in her 40s) job in all of this??

Just seems somewhat oddly descriptive. Will her toes be showing in this fanta… uh, scenario??

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowumbus

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Working with Jagr in Philadelphia was the reason Voracek got his head out of his ass. More the pity that Voracek's career ended when it did, because having that older Czech voice in the room could be invaluable with Jiricek. Trying to think who could possibly be that voice now that could be acquired. Maybe Hertl? There was a bit of a lull in hockey development in Czechia in the past decade or so, so there just aren't too many stars who fit the bill. Obviously Pastrnak is not an option.
Jagr was a star, being a countrymate probably helped but in now way is it a prequisite. But still, Jagr was a guy by his own admittance was all about making $ above all else and the love of the game came later. Hes also a guy who forced himself to 1 team before the draft. Getzlaf, the other case I mentioned was someone documented as someone having a "surfer attitude" but he became a great captain. Yes he had the benefit of playing with hall of famers but there was also some good old fashioned growing up involved

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Wait, I’m confused, what’s the attractive women (in her 40s) job in all of this??

Just seems somewhat oddly descriptive. Will her toes be showing in this fanta… uh, scenario??

Have you ever been in a work situation where they bring someone in to facilitate communication? In my experience it is always an attractive woman in her 40s and she has lots of different colored white board markers and different colored post it notes. She’ll sometimes hand out hersheys kisses or something similar and acts really nice, but the process is a pain in the ass. It can be rather effective however. I think part of the reason it helps foster communication is because nobody wants to do it a second time. Sometimes the threat of bringing in someone to improve communication is all it takes to improve communication. We all fear the dreaded icebreaker exercise.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Have you ever been in a work situation where they bring someone in to facilitate communication? In my experience it is always an attractive woman in her 40s and she has lots of different colored white board markers and different colored post it notes. She’ll sometimes hand out hersheys kisses or something similar and acts really nice, but the process is a pain in the ass. It can be rather effective however. I think part of the reason it helps foster communication is because nobody wants to do it a second time. Sometimes the threat of bringing in someone to improve communication is all it takes to improve communication. We all fear the dreaded icebreaker exercise.
Maybe we could all do a Zoom call with such a lady...we could buy our own Hershey's to get ready...then the obtuse may understand the deep thinkers...:sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: thebus88 and koteka

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Honeypotting?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Note to self: invest in multcolored whiteboard markers and practice vapid smile.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowumbus

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Davidson said that It's "more than a circus" when host Anthony Rothman said he had to manage a little bit of a circus. Davidson also said it's "from the outside."

David Jiricek was brought up and he was asked to give his opinion on the issue. Davidson said "This is the most overblown pile of B.S. that I've heard since I got into management. And here's my feeling, David is a good kid. He's a strong-willed, at times stubborn kid. He's got a wonderful future and it's going to be with the Blue Jackets. He's a player that came to camp after an outstanding season last year in the American League, outstanding! And he made our team, the top 6. He was told to get a place, would you want him sitting in a hotel for 3 or 4 months? NO! He was told to get a place. Then he's been asked to go down a couple of times. The key here is which, I don't see written or talked about very often, is that, when he was told to get a place, he was also told by Jarmo, our general manager that, if you're not playing games, you're going to go to Cleveland to play games.

Davidson went on to say "We can't have you sitting if you're not playing. This is the truth. This is what the story was. When he was asked to go down, all of a sudden things blew, its like a volcano went off. And everybody from around the sports world with hockey have their opinions. But for me, I don't get it. I swear to god I don't get it." Davidson goes on to rant about how this is blown out of proportion and that Jiricek needs to earn it, and gives an example about his experience being sent down to the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad