Player Discussion: David Jiricek

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Was listening to the most recent Puck Rakers podcast (Arace and Hedger)

According to Hedger (again consider the source) when we sent Jiricek down a few weeks ago it took him and his agent by surprise and they weren’t happy. Especially after being told to get a place.

According to hedger Jiricek told him “I’d rather play 12 minutes in the NHL rather than 20 in the AHL.” And he feels like he’s mastered the AHL level after last year.

So Jiricek might be here based off of more off ice reasons than on ice reasons

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

According to Hedger (again consider the source) when we sent Jiricek down a few weeks ago it took him and his agent by surprise and they weren’t happy. Especially after being told to get a place.

According to hedger Jiricek told him “I’d rather play 12 minutes in the NHL rather than 20 in the AHL.” And he feels like he’s mastered the AHL level after last year.

Stop effing telling people to “get a place.”

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

The off ice reasons being Jarmo cant help himself when it comes to saying stupid shit. Stop promising people stuff

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

Time will tell but I think he's fine in either league honestly. I'm not worried about him being rushed, so long as he can add strength in his summers.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jiricek is still built like a teenager. We drafted him to be the one pushing guys around and so far it's mostly Jiricek that is getting pushed off pucks.

I'd prefer him in the AHL, but if not that then give him the Leo Carlsson treatment and put him in the weightroom and scratch him some games so he can recover properly. I'd love to see Blanks called up to rotate with him.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Jiricek is still built like a teenager. We drafted him to be the one pushing guys around and so far it's mostly Jiricek that is getting pushed off pucks.

I'd prefer him in the AHL, but if not that then give him the Leo Carlsson treatment and put him in the weightroom and scratch him some games so he can recover properly. I'd love to see Blanks called up to rotate with him.
That would be the optimal solution for Jiri and Blanks - to play against top competiton while giving them time to build their physique. Playing in the AHL is not going to develop them any fuirther at this point.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That would be the optimal solution for Jiri and Blanks - to play against top competiton while giving them time to build their physique. Playing in the AHL is not going to develop them any fuirther at this point.

For Jiricek I disagree. I think he's wrong if he thinks he's mastered it. He looked really good on their top PP last year but 5v5 results were not "master" level.

The thing about learning in the NHL is that we have to win games, and the quickest way to do that is to cut out the adventurous parts of Jiricek's game and just have him play cautiously. Essentially take a special prospect and turn him into a boring player. A more patient approach where he learns how to fully exploit his gifts at the AHL level and reaches his man strength down there would be much better.

Reactions: koteka

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
For Jiricek I disagree. I think he's wrong if he thinks he's mastered it. He looked really good on their top PP last year but 5v5 results were not "master" level.

The thing about learning in the NHL is that we have to win games, and the quickest way to do that is to cut out the adventurous parts of Jiricek's game and just have him play cautiously. Essentially take a special prospect and turn him into a boring player. A more patient approach where he learns how to fully exploit his gifts at the AHL level and reaches his man strength down there would be much better.
That comment feels heavily Allan Walsh inspired

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Among all 2022 draftees, Jiricek has now played the 2nd-most games in the NHL, behind only #1 overall pick (and bust?) Slafkosvky.

• Haha
Reactions: Jakk123

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Jiricek said he would play this weekend "because he hasnt played all month" and then after that "we'll see"

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Coffees

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Thats the stupid stuff you create yourself when you have a moron GM thats boosts your ego and then puts himself in a poor position he created. His agent is that same sort of ego booster too so that doesnt help. Youd think a guy that has been a GM for a decade would stop acting like a scout but he has still does the same stupid shit and falls in lovr with his own draft picks too soon

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
If he asks for a trade and Jarmo and company says OK, OK, we'll call you up and let you play. You think it's too late or will he take back his trade request. I guess after Chinakov asked for a trade, he started to get his minutes and hasn't been traded yet so hopefully he won't be pissed if he gets to play regularly in Columbus.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Publishing stories like this should create more pressure for the ownership to do that which appears to be necessary. Thanks Porty.

Reactions: Coffees

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If he asks for a trade and Jarmo and company says OK, OK, we'll call you up and let you play. You think it's too late or will he take back his trade request. I guess after Chinakov asked for a trade, he started to get his minutes and hasn't been traded yet so hopefully he won't be pissed if he gets to play regularly in Columbus.
If he asks for a trade Jarmo should be fired on the spot and a new GM should be brought in to start rebuilding the relationship. I dont think it will get to that point though

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If he asks for a trade Jarmo should be fired on the spot and a new GM should be brought in to start rebuilding the relationship. I dont think it will get to that point though

While I don’t know exactly what has or hasn’t been said to Jiricek, and don’t think Jarmo has handled Jiricek that great (as in he should probably NEVER been up to begin with-sorry David), I feel the complete opposite about who should be moved on from. The CBJ needs to be about THE TEAM again, not these whine ass individuals.

The housing situation, in a literal sense, I think is a non story, however his salary/paychecks could be part of what is annoying Jiricek at the moment, idk, but for him to act like he is above playing in the AHL right now, is asinine. He’s a borderline NHL player at this point, and the way the CBJ defense and team is built, he isn’t helping much in any way currently, IMO. His skating and overall defensive work is a legit liability.

That said, similar to Elvis/Laine, this aspect or level of “confidence” is something I personally don’t “jive” with. And I don’t see it as a good outlook for the future and how Jiricek will handle different situations as a “pro athlete” in the future. If/when he does get his opportunities, and starts actually playing well and performing, will he continue with the delusions of what he “deserves” when talking about contracts or ice time down the line??

How soon will he deserve more money than Severson/Werenski?? Do we care about how Mateychuk will handle the “I’m not a 2nd PP QB” quotes from Jiricek in the future??

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Ask yourself.. aside from Boquivst, can you name another defenseman that’s improved under McCarthy ? And what has McCarthy shown to keep his job the past 3 seasons , other than he fell into the position because he took the vax ? Jarmo has had 2 rookie head coaches , because he messed up that hire as well in Babcock , and yet he surrounds them with first time NHL assistants in Boll and McCarthy … Imagine being this bad at your job and ownership seems to not care . Doesn’t help we have a local media that isn’t hammering this point home

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Am I crazy or has Jiri been kinda meh in the nhl? He’s obviously a tremendous talent and flashes brilliance but he hasn’t been good enough to warrant this I don’t belong in the A stuff.

He’s right that there’s not 6 defensemen better on the team but he hasn’t lit the world on fire either.

Also, Jarmo just needs to go. I feel like they’re still trying to showcase guys like Bean and Peeke. News flash guys, nobody wants them.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Weird how places totally disagree.. plus minus isn’t the tell all as well but Jiricek is 2nd best at -1 .. Boquivst is -3 .. Bean is -12 , Gudbranson is -15 which seems accurate ..

IMG_0590.jpeg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad