Player Discussion: David Jiricek

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
The great thing about having Jiricek and Laine on the ice together is that they are both capable of launching bombs from the point, so go ahead and cheat towards Laine to stop his shot, Jiricek is equally as capable of letting one rip from the point.
I love his(jiricek's) one timer/pass fakes and how all opposing team players are in panic when he does that lol, completely unpredictable if he is going to shoot or pass.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
The great thing about having Jiricek and Laine on the ice together is that they are both capable of launching bombs from the point, so go ahead and cheat towards Laine to stop his shot, Jiricek is equally as capable of letting one rip from the point.
Yep. Laine's best PP production came with Byfuglien. Cant wait for next season.

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Yep. Laine's best PP production came with Byfuglien. Cant wait for next season.

Boqvist is back soon, should give him a try there. He has the right tools, RH stick and a good goal scorer for D so he should be able to move the puck from Johnny to Laine quickly, hopefully more accurately than Bjork. Yes, Bjork did a good cross last game to Laine, but other 20 attempts have went several feet away from Laine's wheelhouse.

Jiricek would probably fit great, but he should stay down. This will be a losing year and he doesn't need the self doubt that comes with it. Give him a chance to succeed, then bring him over when he's gonna have a better team around him next season. If he clicks with Laine, that might get us more wins and worse draft odds. Playoffs won't happen either way this season.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Boqvist is back soon, should give him a try there. He has the right tools, RH stick and a good goal scorer for D so he should be able to move the puck from Johnny to Laine quickly, hopefully more accurately than Bjork. Yes, Bjork did a good cross last game to Laine, but other 20 attempts have went several feet away from Laine's wheelhouse.

Jiricek would probably fit great, but he should stay down. This will be a losing year and he doesn't need the self doubt that comes with it. Give him a chance to succeed, then bring him over when he's gonna have a better team around him next season. If he clicks with Laine, that might get us more wins and worse draft odds. Playoffs won't happen either way this season.

I think it's time to give Boqvist his turn with the top unit. But I can't say I've been impressed with his passing / vision / deception. A bit like Werenski he is always dialed in on shooting. Boqvist might do well for now but based on skillset I'm much more excited to see what Jiricek can do (next Fall).

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I think it's time to give Boqvist his turn with the top unit. But I can't say I've been impressed with his passing / vision / deception. A bit like Werenski he is always dialed in on shooting. Boqvist might do well for now but based on skillset I'm much more excited to see what Jiricek can do (next Fall).

Yeah I have the same reservations but hopefully he has learned from previous times and doesn't always opt to shoot as he did last time he was in that unit. I also expect Jiricek to take that spot but next year

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Item No. 3: Jiricek staying put

Rookie David Jiricek has been a lineup fixture since the second game of the season, settling into the second pair with veteran Ivan Provorov. On Saturday, he played his 10th game of the season, which means the first year of his entry-level contract is now engaged.

It confirms what has been obvious: Jiricek’s not going anywhere.

Asked if the Blue Jackets have told Jiricek to seek permanent residence in Columbus — the 19-year-old is still living in an Arena District hotel — Kekäläinen said: “I don’t think we’ve told him that yet, but we should. Thanks for reminding me.”

“He’s playing well and he’s going to be ours for a long time,” Kekäläinen continued. “You accept the ups and downs with that level of talent, so I don’t think he’s going anywhere.

“He’s moving the puck well, positioning himself well. Once he gets more comfortable and confident, we’ll see him do things in the offensive end that we’ve seen him do at the American League level.”

The knock on Jiricek, as is the case with most offensively inclined young defensemen, has been an overly aggressive approach to decision-making. Vincent and Provorov have helped Jiricek redefine in his own mind what a successful shift looks like in the NHL.

In 10 games, he has 1-2-3 and an even rating.

“Early, in his first few games, he was overly aggressive on the forecheck, pinching down on the wall,” Vincent said. “Now his reads are a little bit better. We have no worries about his offensive mindset, his skills. He’s got a bomb. That’s all gonna come.
“But it’s realizing that on a lot of shifts in the NHL, nothing’s happening. There’s no scoring chances for, no scoring chances against. You don’t have to create something or force something offensively every shift, and it can still be a good shift. That’s OK. That’s the NHL.”

To keep Jiricek in the lineup, the Blue Jackets have made a healthy scratch of Andrew Peeke for 10 straight games and Adam Boqvist for the last eight.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Contract wont slide but I assume this is just to get him some offensive looks and also give them time to put Peeke in and maybe find a trade

Reactions: LJ7

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Jiricek hasn’t exactly been setting the world on fire. This is how he gets properly ripe.
I know this, I called for him to stay down to begin with. I also know this team will bring him up again. I think after they find a trade partner we may see him again. Might not be until the deadline but I anticipate we will see lots more of Jiricek this season.

Clevelands PP looks super dangerous already so adding Jiricek to it will be good for him and likely the team

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Jiricek hasn’t exactly been setting the world on fire. This is how he gets properly ripe.
take this with a grain of salt, but:

also of note: they are 4-4-2 with jiricek in the lineup and 0-3-2 when he's not.

this isn't a statement that he's not better off developing in the AHL, but he's clearly better than the entire peeke/boqvist/bean trio at minimum.

Does Mateychuk have higher offensive upside than David?
i think mateychuk is going to produce at the NHL level but jiricek's overall offensive tools are more dynamic.

Reactions: FromChaos22

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Does Mateychuk have higher offensive upside than David?

i think mateychuk is going to produce at the NHL level but jiricek's overall offensive tools are more dynamic.
I might be off here, but I look at them as

Mateychuk projects to be a Werenski replacement (or better) and Jiricek projects to be a Jones replacement (or better)

So it's really a matter of preference and need.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I might be off here, but I look at them as

Mateychuk projects to be a Werenski replacement (or better) and Jiricek projects to be a Jones replacement (or better)

So it's really a matter of preference and need.

I answered the dudes question in the prospect thread and noted their differences and also that I liked them as a pair long term. I see them as different types of players. I also look at it as kinda the “opposite” of you 2.

I look at Jiricek as the less mobile shooter/trigger man that’s going to be more effective on the PP (Werenski) whereas Mateychuk is going to be the minute munching, puck moving, transition defenseman that’s making plays all over the ice (Jones). I look at Mateychuk and Jones as more “dynamic” than the other 2.

Only thing that’s different/comparable that’s off from my opinion is that Jiricek/Jones have a comparable/similar heavy slap shot and body build, though I look at Werenski/Jiricek as the “superior” shooters.

I know people hate me for bringing it up, but I really miss Seth Jones….

Mateychuk-Jones/Werenski-Jiricek….if only….

Last edited:

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
Its not a matter of how great will they be, but will they still be here in and through their prime? There's a precedent for our players ending up somewhere else for one reason or another.
Glorified farm team.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I look at Jiricek as the less mobile shooter/trigger man that’s going to be more effective on the PP (Werenski) whereas Mateychuk is going to be the minute munching, puck moving, transition defenseman that’s making plays all over the ice (Jones). I look at Mateychuk and Jones as more “dynamic” than the other 2.
jones is a better comp for mateychuk stylistically, but a better comp for jiricek if you're talking about traits/tools, if that makes sense. the better comps for both are probably toews/krug for mateychuk and pietrangelo/ekblad for jiricek.

i think mateychuk will be better at 5v5 and 3v3, but jiricek will put up more points as he's better suited to be the point man on PP1.
I know people hate me for bringing it up, but I really miss Seth Jones….

Mateychuk-Jones/Werenski-Jiricek….if only….
would be nice, but then again, if we'd kept seth jones we wouldn't have had the jiricek pick.

Reactions: LJ7 and CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad