Darnell Nurse Boat Anchor Totally Destroying McDavid's Chance At the Cup

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
He also gets to pick his location until June 1st 2027.

I know he's in Edmonton but I am unsure if a competitive player like Nurse would want to be in San Jose.

He also has 5 more years left after this one. There isn't a team in the league who would take him on with that cap hit and term left. He's an Oiler for at least the next 3 years.

Aug 3, 2021
3a7.jpg

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Whether deserved or not, it feels like he's become the face of Edmonton's defensive woes. You'd have to think they need to find some way to move him this off-season. I don't think it's impossible, but it would no doubt hurt.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At some point, a team that is led by superstar offensive players needs to win on those terms. Nurse deserves his criticism, is overpaid, Edmonton’s supporting cast is weaker than Florida’s, etc. It’s all true. But when you have those stars, they need to be able to break down a star goalie like Bob or overcome whatever Barkov is doing. Win that game 7-5 if you have to. Win the next one 5-4, etc. The cheap parts are always going to be cheap parts.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
He also has 5 more years left after this one. There isn't a team in the league who would take him on with that cap hit and term left. He's an Oiler for at least the next 3 years.
Retention but that's dead cap.

Nurse had amazing negotiation power and signed at the perfect time. Could walk to UFA and go anywhere or stay with them after back to back bridge deals.

I don't usually expect players who are ufa and then have multiple years left as trade assets.
Usually they are overpaid because they were or could be a free asset to any other team.

I expect him to be with the Oilers and I hope he can lead a 2nd pairing for them.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Obviously the contract is horrible, absolutely insane that was only signed 3 years ago. I guess management thought he deserved a hefty raise for taking 2 bridge deals and signing with them as a UFA? His last deal was perfectly reasonable, maybe even a slight discount, but a far cry from the extra 4m for 8 years with a NMC that he got. I suppose he was also coming off his bubble performance which was by far his best year, but boy what a hefty raise for what was basically one year before falling back to earth.

He's still generally a fairly decent defender but I feel like he's the type of guy you want on your 3rd pairing being sheltered by a defensive d-man who can cover for his mistakes and make it so his being out of position isn't felt as badly. You either want that from his D partner or the forwards, but Edmonton really has neither, and Ekholm is already kind of doing that for Bouchard.

Not a guy you wanna pay 9m too either way. Really unfortunate because he's rightfully getting roasted because he's worth nowhere near that but is still a pretty serviceable player. Hopefully Edmonton can somehow find a way to fill out their D corps and depth pieces a little more, I feel like they're only a few pieces away from being cup champions/contenders perennially.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
At some point, a team that is led by superstar offensive players needs to win on those terms. Nurse deserves his criticism, is overpaid, Edmonton’s supporting cast is weaker than Florida’s, etc. It’s all true. But when you have those stars, they need to be able to break down a star goalie like Bob or overcome whatever Barkov is doing. Win that game 7-5 if you have to. Win the next one 5-4, etc. The cheap parts are always going to be cheap parts.
This is a cheap part being paid premium though.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Obviously the contract is horrible, absolutely insane that was only signed 3 years ago. I guess management thought he deserved a hefty raise for taking 2 bridge deals and signing with them as a UFA? His last deal was perfectly reasonable, maybe even a slight discount, but a far cry from the extra 4m for 8 years with a NMC that he got. I suppose he was also coming off his bubble performance which was by far his best year, but boy what a hefty raise for what was basically one year before falling back to earth.

He's still generally a fairly decent defender but I feel like he's the type of guy you want on your 3rd pairing being sheltered by a defensive d-man who can cover for his mistakes and make it so his being out of position isn't felt as badly. You either want that from his D partner or the forwards, but Edmonton really has neither, and Ekholm is already kind of doing that for Bouchard.

Not a guy you wanna pay 9m too either way. Really unfortunate because he's rightfully getting roasted because he's worth nowhere near that but is still a pretty serviceable player. Hopefully Edmonton can somehow find a way to fill out their D corps and depth pieces a little more, I feel like they're only a few pieces away from being cup champions/contenders perennially.

Oilers would have won the cup if you replace Nurse with anyone remotely competent defensively, literally Luke schenn would look like shea weber in the Edmonton line up. Nurse cost the oilers the cup personally.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is a cheap part being paid premium though.

Oh no doubt. But my point is if McDavid and Draisaitl were dropping hat tricks but still losing 8-6 or whatever. Yeah. Blame the supporting cast. When they’re getting outscored by Evan Rodrigues, yeah there’s no amount of support cast that can score, defend and goaltend that deficit in star player impact. I’ve seen this failure first hand. I’m a Leafs fan.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
What’s the record for worst +/- in a playoff year? Nurse has got to be close.
Has to be. Most guys with an unhealthy +/- usually get kicked out of the playoffs early, Nurse making the finals and continually being bad in every game is pretty rare. Guy is a -14 playing the finals.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Honestly kind of worth it. They get 2 years with really no cap penalty to try and go for it. :thumbu: Then McDavid goes anyways and the rebuild starts
EDM doesn't have 2 years. Their window realistically closes a year earlier when Draisaitl walks. The way he sounds during interviews is that typical sound of a player whose already got one foot out the door. This era is coming to an end faster than a lot of people want to believe.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Oilers would have won the cup if you replace Nurse with anyone remotely competent defensively, literally Luke schenn would look like shea weber in the Edmonton line up. Nurse cost the oilers the cup personally.
The only one piece that could be swapped out and make the Oilers far more likely to win the cup is the position of GM.

Yeah, they could absolutely upgrade on Nurse and Skinner and Ceci and those should be moves they look to make, but you need a competent GM to get there and that ain't gonna happen with this guy. While they're at it they should probably clean out the whole FO considering their pro and junior scouting.

Not hitting on all their 1sts is a problem and not hitting on their late round picks has also been a problem recently. Or perhaps it's just that they get traded away instead of developed. Either way, that team would look a hell of a lot better with them on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad