Darnell Nurse Boat Anchor Totally Destroying McDavid's Chance At the Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Paul was not exactly considered a defensive defenseman.

Guy needs a guy like Mattias Nordstrom to teach him working the boards and using that big frame.

Nurse probably needs a change of scenery. His contract won't allow that change to be easy. But guys confidence is shot.

Ever since the Canucks hired Adam Foote and Sergei Gonchar, our defense has been stellar.

Reactions: stampedingviking

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I thought he had a chance to be very good once he matured a bit, but unfortunately I was wrong. If anything, he has regressed. Six more years at that cap hit... it's going to get ugly. The guy needs to play with a good defensive Dman... doesn't have to be big, or even fast, as Nurse can provide the physicality and speed, but someone who is smart, positionally sound, and can cover for his mistakes.

It's weird no one wants to pay much for them, but defensive Dmen(not pylons) with a good first pass seem to be in short supply. Can EDM afford to sign a slowing Pesce during the off season? Would that even be a wise move?
Tanev is also slowing down as well. But, he's been a very stabilizing Dman throughout his career, but has dealt with various injuries too.
No chance Pesce, an American signs with Edm.
Tanev is more realistic. Do wonder what the extra cost would have been to acquire him over Henrique whom they paid a 1st for? Cal got a former 2nd round Dman that Dal drafted plus a pick. If it had to be a prospect, who was Cal asking for that Edm would not have parted with?

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Nope. The Oilers is destroying Mcdavid's chances winning the Cup. Hopefully their next GM signs even more expensive AHLers into their lineup.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tanev is also slowing down as well. But, he's been a very stabilizing Dman throughout his career, but has dealt with various injuries too.
No chance Pesce, an American signs with Edm.
Tanev is more realistic. Do wonder what the extra cost would have been to acquire him over Henrique whom they paid a 1st for? Cal got a former 2nd round Dman that Dal drafted plus a pick. If it had to be a prospect, who was Cal asking for that Edm would not have parted with?
He's a FA, isn't he? Or did i miss it, and he re-signed with DAL? If he's a FA, then ya, he'd be the guy. Worth overpaying a bit, and now that EDM is competitive, they are more attractive to go to, especially when there is a clear cut need for him. Nurse has the tools. He needs a partner with a high defensive IQ.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
McDavid should hlopefully get one goal in the finals.

edm.goals.stanley.cup.thru.3.games.png

Does Nurse prevent McDavid from scoring when he's on the bench ?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nurse completely off the team, Skinner as backup and replaced with someone good (Ullmark) and I think the Oilers are good enough to win the cup and quite easily.

I’m not sure how you make Nurse disappear though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nurse completely off the team, Skinner as backup and replaced with someone good (Ullmark) and I think the Oilers are good enough to win the cup and quite easily.

Only team I can think of that should be at the very beginning of a long rebuild is Washington. Backstrom on LTIR, eating half of Kuz, Oshie seems destined for LTIR, Ovy has 2 seasons to break Wayne's record then he's retiring. Carlson has 2 years left on his deal.

Other bad teams, can't keep $9.25 mill for 6 years. Plus, his contract is buyout proof. Won't get any cap relief from him. Would have to trade (give up assets) to get rid of him later.

Reactions: Bleedred

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Edmonton would have to give San Jose an entire draft's worth of picks plus a couple prospects to take on Nurse

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Nurse is an issue for sure, but the real problem for the Oilers is they have a grand total of 1 reliable defencemen (Ekholm). It’s hard to win a Cup with that.

Their HC has done a great job of making their forwards more defensively responsible, which has made them a better defensive team overall, but their D corps still stinks.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I don't even think trading Drai would do much. It only frees up $8.5m in cap space and the haul he'd get in return 1 year away from UFA won't be anywhere near what Oilers fans would expect.

If the only concern is next season, which it should be as Drai and McD would be stupid to re-sign, the best move is keeping Drai and trying to load up. Buyout both Nurse and Campbell, try to convince some UFAs to sign 1-2 year contracts for a shot at the cup. Deal with the consequences after McDavid leaves.
They can trade Draisaitl for a lesser return if the new team takes on Nurse & his full salary.

Nurse is an issue for sure, but the real problem for the Oilers is they have a grand total of 1 reliable defencemen (Ekholm). It’s hard to win a Cup with that.

Their HC has done a great job of making their forwards more defensively responsible, which has made them a better defensive team overall, but their D corps still stinks.
Bouchard is reliable imo. Unless you mean Ekholm is their only true defensive defenceman.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I don’t believe you. No one in our fan base has said that. We all knew it was an overpay from the start.

You're right, no one ever said it was a good or fair deal but many Oiler fans as recent at this regular season, were still defending Nurse as being a solid and positive player who's just a little bit overpaid per year so his contract could be stomached.

Seems like most if not all have now come to the realization that he's overpaid and bad to the point where they need to find a way to jettison him and that you can't win with him taking up that much cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad