Prospect Info: Danila Yurov RW/C, 24th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Scored the lone goal for his team today. Box score has him listed as first line!?! Over 14 minutes ice time
He’ll probably get treated better in the K than he will by the Wild front office.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he does sign a KHL extension, I hope it's only for one year. It's hard to predict development, but if he came over to the AHL next year i think he might get some NHL time in as well.

If he feels better and develops better playing in Russia next year, then that's ok too. What I don't want to see is him signing a two year KHL extension, making ineligible till the 2025-26 season.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he does sign a KHL extension, I hope it's only for one year. It's hard to predict development, but if he came over to the AHL next year i think he might get some NHL time in as well.

If he feels better and develops better playing in Russia next year, then that's ok too. What I don't want to see is him signing a two year KHL extension, making ineligible till the 2025-26 season.

Even if he did sign a two year extension, he'd still only be 21. Same age as Rossi now.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Even if he did sign a two year extension, he'd still only be 21. Same age as Rossi now.
But he's playing with men now, as he was last year, and doing reasonably well. Once you factor in his size(4-5" taller than Rossi), strength(better), speed(significantly faster), position (wing rather than C), lack of health challenges (Myocarditis for Rossi), and not losing at least a year of development, Yurov seems a better bet to be able to withstand the rigors of the NHL than Rossi, at least early on. Even if he starts out the 24-25 season in Iowa I'd be willing to bet that he is brought up to the NHL sometime during the season - we are going to need all the ELC contracts we can get.

At this point, I'd say that Yurov has a better shot than any forward but Rossi, and maybe Khusnutdinov to make an impact on the the big club in 24-25. Beckman and Chaffee are disappointing, Ohgren has mediocre production in a lesser league... am i forgetting someone?

Having Marat and Yurov added to the club in 24-25 would be possible, if not necessary.

Kap - Rossi(🙏) - Boldy

Greenway - JEE - Duhaime?

Yurov - Marat - Gaudreau/Walker?

Milne - Dewar- Shaw

Beckman/Ohgren/Walker

That's a young'ish, relatively cheap, interesting team?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm a fan of keeping Russian prospects in Russia until it is clear as day that they are ready to come over.
Same. Guys who come over a little too early tend to go back home before they're fully developed, and only sometimes give North America a second chance.

Reactions: P10p

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
With Yurov the main issue was the coach who would only play young players if he has like totally no other option. Now that coach will most likely be fired and current rumors are about three potential replacement options: two of them have a good reputation in terms of working with young players and one - not so much. So I think this is what he is waiting for, for that situation to be resolved so he could make a decision accordingly.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
With Yurov the main issue was the coach who would only play young players if he has like totally no other option. Now that coach will most likely be fired and current rumors are about three potential replacement options: two of them have a good reputation in terms of working with young players and one - not so much. So I think this is what he is waiting for, for that situation to be resolved so he could make a decision accordingly.
Thanks for the insight

Reactions: Caser

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If he does re-sign in Russia, is there any telling right now for how long it would be? Likelihood of it only being for 1 year?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Metallurg will want it for 2 years, but that's just my opinion.
I would say at a minimum, 2. Why bother developing a player, just to have him go when he starts to get good?

He would be welcome in Iowa, but so much depends on the individual ,player as to how he will handle adapting to the AHL and American culture. Hard to predict what would be best for him. Would be cool to see both him and Ohgren playing in Iowa next year, but both of them might be better off playing in their own countries leagues.

Reactions: Victorious Secret

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
I would say at a minimum, 2. Why bother developing a player, just to have him go when he starts to get good?

He would be welcome in Iowa, but so much depends on the individual ,player as to how he will handle adapting to the AHL and American culture. Hard to predict what would be best for him. Would be cool to see both him and Ohgren playing in Iowa next year, but both of them might be better off playing in their own countries leagues.
There's another thing about at least 2 years that U21 players in the KHL are not counted against the cap, so if Metallurg is signing Yurov for 2 years they can pay the majority of his salary in the first year (which doesn't count against the cap) and some peanuts for the second year (which will count against the cap). Obviously a 1-year deal doesn't give such a benefit for them.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
There's another thing about at least 2 years that U21 players in the KHL are not counted against the cap, so if Metallurg is signing Yurov for 2 years they can pay the majority of his salary in the first year (which doesn't count against the cap) and some peanuts for the second year (which will count against the cap). Obviously a 1-year deal doesn't give such a benefit for them.
Did not know that. Sort of like Premier League soccer in that regard.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's fine. Only one year. TBH, I expected two, but I would guess that he wasn't thrilled with his usage, and/or he might want to test out NA after that. Both he and Marat would be coming over at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad