Prospect Info: Danila Yurov RW/C, 24th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Really? He was pretty ordinary till last season, when he was 26 yo. I would hope that a 1st rounder like Yurov, and one who was considered to have top 10 talent in his draft year, would have a higher ceiling than a 3rd rounder.

I am expecting more from Yurov. By most reports he is a very smart, well rounded player, as well as having offensive talent. I don't think you could say the same of Buch when he was younger.

I think Buchnevich's numbers are a little misleading in the same way Fiala's are, because of the short seasons. His points per 82 has been this through the years (going all the way back to his rookie year):

I agree that I'm hoping Yurov is a little better a little faster than Buchnevich, but that's a fairly good progression, especially on a bad team, which New York was for most of those seasons. In any case, I'll still consider it a win if Yurov ever scores 85 points for us, even if it's not as quickly as we'd like it to be.

I think he's definitely got potential for more, but expecting or even hoping for that level of production from anyone makes me wary.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Really? He was pretty ordinary till last season, when he was 26 yo. I would hope that a 1st rounder like Yurov, and one who was considered to have top 10 talent in his draft year, would have a higher ceiling than a 3rd rounder.

I am expecting more from Yurov. By most reports he is a very smart, well rounded player, as well as having offensive talent. I don't think you could say the same of Buch when he was younger.
I’ll take a ppg winger at any age with a late first

Reactions: molotce and BagHead

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
make no mistake im not expecting another kaprizov. im hoping for a 30G 30A player in his 3rd or 4th nhl season. many players are traded and dont last 6 seasons with the same team so mgmt waiting forever for a player to develop is rare. ps please do me a favor and post TOI when updating yurov's scoring thanks. im curious how much his khl team is using him. hopefully others are as well.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
make no mistake im not expecting another kaprizov. im hoping for a 30G 30A player in his 3rd or 4th nhl season. many players are traded and dont last 6 seasons with the same team so mgmt waiting forever for a player to develop is rare. ps please do me a favor and post TOI when updating yurov's scoring thanks. im curious how much his khl team is using him. hopefully others are as well.

So far through the first five games he's averaging 12:25 per game, which is now 14th on his team (for forwards), although two guys ahead of him have only played one game.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Ideally he is playing more, but I’ve never been a fan of taking Russian players out of Russia until they are ready. The ones that come to CHL never seem to thrive here while the ones who stay in KHL have great track record.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
That is totally fine for a young player in a league that really makes their youngsters work for icetime. It's arguably the 2nd/3rd best league in the world. Some other recent success stories had similar ice times in their post-draft year.

Vasili Podkolzin - 8:49
Denis Guryanov - 10:06
Alexander Romanov (as a dman) - 11:23

Reactions: Minnesota

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
https://zonecoverage.com/2022/wild/can-danila-yurov-resist-khl-pressure-to-sign-a-contract/
Here's an article that basically says Yurov's TOI isn't a reflection of his play, but rather a pressure tactic to get him to sign a new contract in the KHL. Essentially they're holding his minutes hostage until he extends. Not sure if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I would take every North American media piece about Russia that you see with the entire bag of salt (hockey or otherwise, it's good practice). Especially opinion pieces written by Wild fans.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The thing about playing in the AHL vs. the KHL is that you can be called up from the AHL at any time to play in the NHL. Development is hard to predict. You don't know if you have an Alex Turcotte on your hands, or a Dawson Mercer. Having your prospect playing in the AHL allows flexibility.

Does anyone doubt that Kaprizov could've come over at least two full years earlier, and done very well?

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
The thing about playing in the AHL vs. the KHL is that you can be called up from the AHL at any time to play in the NHL. Development is hard to predict. You don't know if you have an Alex Turcotte on your hands, or a Dawson Mercer. Having your prospect playing in the AHL allows flexibility.

Does anyone doubt that Kaprizov could've come over at least two full years earlier, and done very well?
Well when the nhl club toys with prospects finances and their development over cap space it’s probably a little discouraging

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It happens, though. Marchenko playing well in the K 2 years ago, doesn't sign a new contract, played much less last season

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or even that it's definitely not happening with Yurov. But a lot of NA writers have no clue about the goings on in Russia, and won't base their pieces off any actual factual reports or investigations, they'll just push that type of stuff out because Russia is the boogeyman. It's still good practice to take everything you read with grains of salt.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or even that it's definitely not happening with Yurov. But a lot of NA writers have no clue about the goings on in Russia, and won't base their pieces off any actual factual reports or investigations, they'll just push that type of stuff out because Russia is the boogeyman. It's still good practice to take everything you read with grains of salt.
I read this and took it with a grain of salt ;):laugh:

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Scored the lone goal for his team today. Box score has him listed as first line!?! Over 14 minutes ice time

Reactions: DANOZ28

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad