Value of: Damon Severson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Severson still has a year left so it would be more then a rental. Devils primary needs are wingers, and 1a/1b goalie. Just curious what people think his value is.
Victor Olofsson. He has been inconsistent this year but an injury is suspected. Wicked shot.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Last night's game was the epitome of both of them for the last four seasons - a couple of nice plays offensively and invisible on the game-winning goal (when a player scores from right on top of the goalie).

How is it possible in a 3-2 game to be on the ice for both of your team's goals yet finish -1?

Oh wait. Plus/minus isn't relevant.

What isn't relevant is being PPG when you're team loses 2/3's of the time and those points are mostly meaningless (i.e. the only goal in a 5-1 loss).

As someone who recalls when the Devils played meaningful games, I can assure you these players are the antithesis of the ones that comprised those teams.
maybe if some of your teammates also contribute, it would result in a win.

Reactions: Devils Army

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
As long as Damon is putting up points on a nightly basis, his stock will just keep rising.
If someone doesn't want to pay a premium for him, the Devils will just keep him

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I’m on team ship him out. Try to get a younger rhd in return. He won’t want to stay another year and honestly he hasn’t been very consistent over the years.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Id rather sign him. Hopefully he doesn't ask for too much. IF we can get him on a 6x6 I'd be okay with that. Not going to keep trading players for picks and prospects.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Last night's game was the epitome of both of them for the last four seasons - a couple of nice plays offensively and invisible on the game-winning goal (when a player scores from right on top of the goalie).

How is it possible in a 3-2 game to be on the ice for both of your team's goals yet finish -1?

Oh wait. Plus/minus isn't relevant.

What isn't relevant is being PPG when you're team loses 2/3's of the time and those points are mostly meaningless (i.e. the only goal in a 5-1 loss).

As someone who recalls when the Devils played meaningful games, I can assure you these players are the antithesis of the ones that comprised those teams.
Lol he was on the ice for his own goal which was on the powerplay which doesn't give you a plus. Plus minus is do irrelevant. I remember good Devils teams too. Jesper Bratt and Jack Hughes are our only real offensive threat and Damon Severson has been our best dman this year. Both having terrific seasons.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Well, he did play over 27 minutes. When you’re on the ice for close to half the game and your team loses, yeah chances are you’ll be on the ice for goals against.

Isolated +/- is a comically poor way to judge a player. If you really want stats, look at his underlying metrics. *hint - they support the notion that Severson is a top 4 defenseman.

And for the bolded part: *insert old man yells at clouds meme*

I’m old enough to have watched those days too. Not sure how a winger currently pacing a ppg and a top 4 defenseman are the antithesis of players on a good team :laugh:
Couldn't have said it any better

Reactions: Nocashstyle

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Well, he did play over 27 minutes. When you’re on the ice for close to half the game and your team loses, yeah chances are you’ll be on the ice for goals against.

Severson playing as much as he does may be the ultimate indictment of the current front office - unless he is merely serving as a place holder while the players in Utica and the other high draft picks like Luke Hughes and Shakir M. hone their games before joining the NHL club.

If New Jersey chooses to still be handcuffed to the left/right thing then it doesn't seem likely the team's fortunes change much.

In Europe there are an overwhelming number of left hand shots and it's not uncommon to see a defenseman playing his off-side (Zaitsev often plays the right side).

There is no reason the Devils can't play their six best defensemen.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Having watched most of the Devils games the past two seasons I cam confidently say that Severson is not a "legit Top 4 defenseman": just as Jesper Bratt is not a "top line" wing.

Both play so out of necessity due to a dirth of offense in the Jersey lineup. Similarly, both are one dimensional players and their lack of positional awareness make them liabilities when they are on the ice; offerijg little value to teams looking to compete for a Stanley Cup.
You're not watching or understanding then. Severson would be a second pair defenseman on just about every team in this league. Some of them he'd be a top pairing.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
After seeing him defend that 2 on 1 LAK offers Olli Maatta for Severson with 50% retention.

The thing with Severson is he'll bounce back in the next game or two and look good in his own end while picking up a couple of points. He may be the most up and down defender in the league. Really strange at his age he'll make a bone headed play like last night's but then look very good most of the time.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Jack's no look passes to players not as talented as him and going the other way are as concerning to me!
I get it but since his return he's forcing it a bit too much. He took too many chances last night with Tor. He got bailed out last night but its on a regular basis now. It comes with experience, but slow it down.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The thing with Severson is he'll bounce back in the next game or two and look good in his own end while picking up a couple of points. He may be the most up and down defender in the league. Really strange at his age he'll make a bone headed play like last night's but then look very good most of the time.
That sort of inconsistency is driven by his low IQ. And unfortunately, playoff teams are looking for consistency in the top 4.

If you could pair him with a Slavin or Pelech he'd be fine, but unfortunately there aren't too many of those guys left in the league.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
After seeing him defend that 2 on 1 LAK offers Olli Maatta for Severson with 50% retention.

I've legitimately rarely seen a competent player have such baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad plays so consistently. Like, he'll just be rolling along for a few games, perfectly fine...even good ....and something like that happens. But it's just like a repeating cycle.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
With Hamilton out Severson is playing wayyyy too much, like 26+ minutes a night. As a 2nd pairing guy he's totally fine, but the Devils are putting him in really awful situations. He should not be on PP1, PK1, and getting 22 ES minutes a night.

Hamilton's injury, Smith's regression, and Subban being generally worthless have really forced the Devils basically rely on Severson, Graves, and Siegenthaler to play entire games for them and it's really reflecting in their play. They are physically and mentally exhausted, and it can't be easy playing in front of AHL goalies every night knowing every single mistake ends up in the back of the net.

His 2-on-1 play was pathetic and embarrassing, but now he's going to go on a 10 game streak of amazing play before scoring an own goal or something. That's just how he is.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I've legitimately rarely seen a competent player have such baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad plays so consistently. Like, he'll just be rolling along for a few games, perfectly fine...even good ....and something like that happens. But it's just like a repeating cycle.
Gardener would do this exact thing on the Leafs but it was more in a single game. He would have this beauty up ice carry, perfect pass to set up a goal and legit 5 mins later pass the puck to a guy on the other team in front of the net then take off for an ice change lol

Reactions: Forge

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
With Hamilton out Severson is playing wayyyy too much, like 26+ minutes a night. As a 2nd pairing guy he's totally fine, but the Devils are putting him in really awful situations. He should not be on PP1, PK1, and getting 22 ES minutes a night.

Hamilton's injury, Smith's regression, and Subban being generally worthless have really forced the Devils basically rely on Severson, Graves, and Siegenthaler to play entire games for them and it's really reflecting in their play. They are physically and mentally exhausted, and it can't be easy playing in front of AHL goalies every night knowing every single mistake ends up in the back of the net.

His 2-on-1 play was pathetic and embarrassing, but now he's going to go on a 10 game streak of amazing play before scoring an own goal or something. That's just how he is.
All the while complaining about being on a losing team. Personally I’m over him.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Mrazek + Holl + Ritchie + 1st
Severson + Gilles?
Mrazeks a good platoon goalie, holl & ritchie are warm body replacements that could pan out, first is a first.

Gillies is not an NHL backup

Unless you have another deal for Halak or Holtby

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Jack's no look passes to players not as talented as him and going the other way are as concerning to me!
I get it but since his return he's forcing it a bit too much. He took too many chances last night with Tor. He got bailed out last night but its on a regular basis now. It comes with experience, but slow it down.

Except Jesper has had four years and still reverts to the same careless, irresponsible habits.

Three or four highlight reel plays a game don't compensate for your team being pinned in its own end for long stretches and consistently outnumbered in transition rushes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad