Value of: Damon Severson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Mrazek + Holl + Ritchie + 1st
Severson + Gilles?
Mrazeks a good platoon goalie, holl & ritchie are warm body replacements that could pan out, first is a first.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Mrazek + Holl + Ritchie + 1st
Severson + Gilles?
Mrazeks a good platoon goalie, holl & ritchie are warm body replacements that could pan out, first is a first.
No?

Richie is 26 and signed for another year at 1.375m. Holl is 29 and signed for another year at 2m.
Mrazek is 29 and signed for 2 more years at 3.8m.

Those all suspiciously look like cap dumps (in various degrees) and Severson is only getting peddled in hopes of getting good stuff in return. Perhaps we wouldn’t get any offers to make it worth our while, this certainly doesn’t. Zero prospects? No thanks. (Not sure the Devils would be interested in retaining salary next season but if they did then the offers would have to be even better.)

And I wish the the Devils were in the position to swap goalies but we really can only add them. We have barely any.

Last edited:

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
How can that be a fair price for him if UFA RHD are rumoured to be getting at least a 1st? If people are just willing to give that, the Devils keep him until next season TDL
PK Subban is getting a first? I would say the Devils should keep Severson but having term on a contract in a flat cap world is not ideal for a contender. Devils have a better shot getting a first in the offseason unless they eat half the cap hit now.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
How much will Severson be looking for in his next contract?

Ill post my usual

Boeser

Seversson
Mcleod
2nd 2022/2023

here in here

Is Mcleod any good defensively? Could be become a long term 3C?

Kevin Bahl, who I admittedly haven't seen seems like a potential fit as he's a big defensive defenseman who is from BC.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
PK Subban is getting a first? I would say the Devils should keep Severson but having term on a contract in a flat cap world is not ideal for a contender. Devils have a better shot getting a first in the offseason unless they eat half the cap hit now.
It was two 2nds (the first being #34 at the time of the trade) & a prospect & another small contract but you’re forgetting one thing, his massive contract.

PK was on the decline due to injuries, he had one strong healthy season with the Preds out of three. He had a cap hit of 9m and salary of 10m, as his contract was middle-loaded. More teams were interested, or at least intrigued, but Nashville refused to retain any salary or take back any major cap dump contracts for a better return. They instead found a suck in Shero.

They did take Steve Santini, who had a 2 years/1.417m deal as a cap dump. They bought him out so Santini cost one year of his salary (1.5m) plus the cost of his buyout (700k). A total of 2.2m was very little to take back. (Jeremy Davies had just signed his 2 year ELC before he was traded.)

It was a big exciting pick up because of his name value but the Devils could do it because they had oodles of cap space Subban being overpaid wasn’t a problem. (His decline was, but that’s a different story.) So that’s a weird comparison.

You’re likely underrating Severson and his salary. He only makes 4.16m and if salary is retained then he becomes a quite bargain next season. You aren’t going to find quality RHD even close to that price, it actually could work for some contenders next year but they would have to pay for it. And more than you apparently think.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
How much will Severson be looking for in his next contract?

Is Mcleod any good defensively? Could be become a long term 3C?

Kevin Bahl, who I admittedly haven't seen seems like a potential fit as he's a big defensive defenseman who is from BC.
McLeod’s is sort of ok defensively but I’m real skeptical about him being a 3C.

The offense isn’t there (at least not yet) and I don’t see him being nearly good enough possession-wise/shot suppression-wise to make up for that.

No one has any idea what Severson wants. We don’t have much, uh, independent journalists covering the team (the Athletic guy who didn’t write that much left, we now have his Sub who writes even less, and the team’s pretend reporter). *shrug*

Would Rutherford trade a younger player for 28 year old defenseman?

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
McLeod’s is sort of ok defensively but I’m real skeptical about him being a 3C.

The offense isn’t there (at least not yet) and I don’t see him being nearly good enough possession-wise/shot suppression-wise to make up for that.

No one has any idea what Severson wants. We don’t have much, uh, independent journalists covering the team (the Athletic guy who didn’t write that much left, we now have his Sub who writes even less, and the team’s pretend reporter). *shrug*

Would Rutherford trade a younger player for 28 year old defenseman?

Rutherford said he wants to ‘gain age’ in any deal, but you could argue that we do that if a pick and prospect are also coming back. Also, Severson is 27 not 28.

Surely Severson is looking in the 5 million range on a 4 yer deal? He could probably do better in UFA…

A defensively responsible top 4 RHD is a huge need for Van. If Severson is it, then I could see Boeser being on the table if we are confident we can sign Severson and if he comes with picks and prospects.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Rutherford said he wants to ‘gain age’ in any deal, but you could argue that we do that if a pick and prospect are also coming back. Also, Severson is 27 not 28.

Surely Severson is looking in the 5 million range on a 4 yer deal? He could probably do better in UFA…

A defensively responsible top 4 RHD is a huge need for Van. If Severson is it, then I could see Boeser being on the table if we are confident we can sign Severson and if he comes with picks and prospects.
He turns 28 in the Summer, I was referring to his age next season.

If Severson would sign for 4 years/5m the Devils would probably just keep him because that’s very manageable. He’s tough to price and I’m particularly afraid the term will be long.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
It was two 2nds (the first being #34 at the time of the trade) & a prospect & another small contract but you’re forgetting one thing, his massive contract.

PK was on the decline due to injuries, he had one strong healthy season with the Preds out of three. He had a cap hit of 9m and salary of 10m, as his contract was middle-loaded. More teams were interested, or at least intrigued, but Nashville refused to retain any salary or take back any major cap dump contracts for a better return. They instead found a suck in Shero.

They did take Steve Santini, who had a 2 years/1.417m deal as a cap dump. They bought him out so Santini cost one year of his salary (1.5m) plus the cost of his buyout (700k). A total of 2.2m was very little to take back. (Jeremy Davies had just signed his 2 year ELC before he was traded.)

It was a big exciting pick up because of his name value but the Devils could do it because they had oodles of cap space Subban being overpaid wasn’t a problem. (His decline was, but that’s a different story.) So that’s a weird comparison.

You’re likely underrating Severson and his salary. He only makes 4.16m and if salary is retained then he becomes a quite bargain next season. You aren’t going to find quality RHD even close to that price, it actually could work for some contenders next year but they would have to pay for it. And more than you apparently think.
So me thinking he gets a 2nd and a prospect or a first at the draft is undervaluing him? I guess but considering how one person said all the offers people would make is a 5th rounder I would say might offer is light but not that crazy.

2nd and prospect could turn into a first if the team acquiring reaches CF. I feel a 2nd and Topi Niemela would be a solid offer.

I would say in a normal situation you expect a first but with this draft being strong and every contending team having cap issues I’m not sure Devils get a first in this draft at deadline unless they eat some cap which is what I stated originally.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Isn’t that what Devils gave up to get PK Subban who had more value around the league at the time and it was before a pandemic when not everyone is against the cap

agreed especially since you claim you will get a first for PK Subban because he is UFA RHD.
Twice the cap hit, two yrs older, many more injuries. But no they are the same

Rasmus Ristolainen and Savard last yr, there's recent history for desperate teams. I'm looking for a dect prospect and a pick.

Fitz won't move Severson unless the return is high and your pkg of stuff ain't it.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

I wasn't talking about Subban at all, he's not getting anywhere near a 1st as a return, but I can see why you thought that as I wasn't clear enough.
Having term will always be a benefit especially when you're talking about a player that isn't making a whole lot of money, just over 4 million for a top 4 RH shooting defenseman.
It's really not that hard for a team to clear 4 million in cap space if they are getting a player they want that helps them for at least 2 playoff runs.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I think Tampa could be interested if they could make the cap work. If Tampa offered Cal Foote, '22 1st, and Mathieu Joseph for Severson at 50%, how far off would they be? Of course Tampa would still have to get a third team to retain another 500k and change or make another trade to become cap compliant, but for the deal with New Jersey, this could be their offer.

It would be a fine proposal if the Devils had literally any RD in the system and PK wasn't about to retire to become a club promoter or influencer or w/e.

I'd guess the Devils instead trade PK at 50%, bring in a guy to replace him, and float the possibility of Severson next season if they continue to be "playoff challenged"

How is the other half of the Feete brothers? because the Devils could form a real Voltron of suckass siblings if everything goes wrong

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I wish the Oilers had some more trade chips to play with to get in on Severson. And the cap space to acquire him of course. He would fit with what we need perfectly, but we don't have the goalie (obviously) or winger to fill the holes the Devils have.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Twice the cap hit, two yrs older, many more injuries. But no they are the same

Rasmus Ristolainen and Savard last yr, there's recent history for desperate teams. I'm looking for a dect prospect and a pick.

Fitz won't move Severson unless the return is high and your pkg of stuff ain't it.
Risto and Savard were one year deals not 2. If Devils trade him it’s at the draft as their better option is extending him.

I doubt you get more than a first and a prospect at the deadline but maybe you guys get 2 firsts……

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
I wasn't talking about Subban at all, he's not getting anywhere near a 1st as a return, but I can see why you thought that as I wasn't clear enough.
Having term will always be a benefit especially when you're talking about a player that isn't making a whole lot of money, just over 4 million for a top 4 RH shooting defenseman.
It's really not that hard for a team to clear 4 million in cap space if they are getting a player they want that helps them for at least 2 playoff runs.
You mention UFA RHD which is Subban.

Devils will either eat half the cap hit or take back bad contract through 2023. I don’t see many teams with cap space for 2023 and won’t want to give up more than a first and prospect. How many teams you think will give up 2 firsts and a prospect for him in a flat cap world?

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
You mention UFA RHD which is Subban.

Devils will either eat half the cap hit or take back bad contract through 2023. I don’t see many teams with cap space for 2023 and won’t want to give up more than a first and prospect. How many teams you think will give up 2 firsts and a prospect for him in a flat cap world?

I was talking in general about UFA RHD not specifically about Subban, as he's not the only UFA RHD in the league so stop assuming you know what I'm thinking
a first and a prospect is more likely what they'd get, not the 2nd and c level prospect you said they'd get, you can't just change your value and then claim it to be your opinion the whole time

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I can save you a lot of trouble, people will say he’s bad cuz he plays on a bad team so he has no value. Or they’ll say “there’s a reason Devil fans put him in every trade” implying that he’s bad and has no value.
Real world Severson has quite a bit of value but here you’d be lucky to get offered a 5th

Pretty much

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
OK there seems to be a bit of confusion on on what is being said on Severson and Subban
Severson 1 yr left after this- would get more than a first and we are not shopping him. It would need to be an overpayment +. Think 1st round pick and a prospect/player
Subban (UFA) will be traded this TDL and if Fitz can find a third party to retain, PK at $2.25M cap hit and a stupidly low amount of real dollars will be worth more than is expected right now.

Jersey can take back a couple of cap dumps on a PK trade to make it sweeter. Ideally they are single yr.

I was the one stating that RHDs at TDL are valuable and can make PKs value more inflated.

Back to our regular scheduled complaining!

Last edited:
Reactions: MakoSlade

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
I was talking in general about UFA RHD not specifically about Subban, as he's not the only UFA RHD in the league so stop assuming you know what I'm thinking
a first and a prospect is more likely what they'd get, not the 2nd and c level prospect you said they'd get, you can't just change your value and then claim it to be your opinion the whole time

I said” I would say a fair deal for him would be a 2nd and a c level prospect. Devils could get slightly more if a team is desperate or Devils eat some of the cap hit
I could see Devils looking at Kings,Leafs,Preds and Blues as teams to trade with.“

Devils could get slightly more if a team is desperate or Devils eat some of the cap hit…….

I’m not changing my opinion. I have stated he would get a first at entry draft but it will be hard for a contender to eat his entire cap hit for 2 years plus give up a first a c level prospect. Would you give up a first for David Savard right now because he’s on par with Severson except he has 3 more seasons left on his contract? He returned a first last year because a team was desperate and his cap hit got lowered plus was a rental which has more desire for flat cap world.

I doubt Severson returns two first round picks but maybe some team will be desperate

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I said” I would say a fair deal for him would be a 2nd and a c level prospect. Devils could get slightly more if a team is desperate or Devils eat some of the cap hit
I could see Devils looking at Kings,Leafs,Preds and Blues as teams to trade with.“

Devils could get slightly more if a team is desperate or Devils eat some of the cap hit…….

I’m not changing my opinion. I have stated he would get a first at entry draft but it will be hard for a contender to eat his entire cap hit for 2 years plus give up a first a c level prospect. Would you give up a first for David Savard right now because he’s on par with Severson except he has 3 more seasons left on his contract? He returned a first last year because a team was desperate and his cap hit got lowered plus was a rental which has more desire for flat cap world.

I doubt Severson returns two first round picks but maybe some team will be desperate

Only in your world is a UFA more valuable than a player with an additional year. Take a look at the deals teams have gotten because they have an extra year. Like I said before clearing 4 million isn't at all difficult for teams to do, especially in the offseason. The Devils could easily take an expiring deal to offset the cap this year and then the other team simply figures it out from there for next year
People here thought Tampa is in cap trouble, so they'll have to move Sergachev or Point or Killorn... but it doesn't make it reality. Cap problems tend to be severely overblown on rumor boards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad