Damn, it's starting again, that dreaded optimism.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
We didn't beat BOS at their most vulnerable last year either, they've added Zadorov and Lindholm since then.

At forward, our group isn't really different at all, not sure how we'll score goals all of a sudden in the playoffs.
Lindholm is 30 and now signed for 7 x $7.75 coming off a 48 pt year. Z cost them $6M x 5 based primarily on 13 pretty good playoff games and in Calgary he was seen as no more than an impactful 3rd pairing guy a lot of the time. It could work out for them but I don't give them 50-50 that it will be a win.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lindholm is 30 and now signed for 7 x $7.75 coming off a 48 pt year. Z cost them $6M x 5 based primarily on 13 pretty good playoff games and in Calgary he was seen as no more than an impactful 3rd pairing guy a lot of the time. It could work out for them but I don't give them 50-50 that it will be a win.

5x5 for Zadorov

Lindholm should be fine for a couple of years, decline will hit though

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
BOS didn't have enough offensive punch to go beyond where they did, if our our "core 4" actually could remotely step up in the playoffs, we would have won, our special teams / Woll / Samsonov also cost us. By Woll, I mean his bad durability.

I know the talk was last year with Florida going into the season with a lot of injuries on the blueline could be in tough but genuinely this year, I think they could definitely take a step back.

I think Buffalo will be a bit better too.
The question surrounding th Leafs high priced players is whether they have the talent and commitment to sacrifice when needed. Nothing in their hockey career suggest they can or will.

I think it’s safe to assume that this year will be no different and the opposition will dictate who wins.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So the Big German just signed for 8 yrs
14m per aav. 8yrs yes thats right 8, EIGHT yrs just like Will both of whom are showing real loyalty just might rub off on the Leafs next major signing.

You may wonder why this tidbit is going into the so called confidence thread. Well as soon as Mitch signs for 8 yrs for 12.75 aav I believe the loyalty and belief Will and MM is showing the club and vice versa, will finally change the teams fortunes.

Somethings gotta give

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
We didn't beat BOS at their most vulnerable last year either, they've added Zadorov and Lindholm since then.

At forward, our group isn't really different at all, not sure how we'll score goals all of a sudden in the playoffs.
We won’t. Not much will change for next year unless the core 4 miraculously learn how to play in the playoffs

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
$5x6 for Zadorov

Lindholm should be fine for a couple of years, decline will hit though
Fixed. I agree Lindolm could age well but the AAV is really high if last season is where he is now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So the Big German just signed for 8 yrs
14m per aav. 8yrs yes thats right 8, EIGHT yrs just like Will both of whom are showing real loyalty just might rub off on the Leafs next major signing.

You may wonder why this tidbit is going into the so called confidence thread. Well as soon as Mitch signs for 8 yrs for 12.75 aav I believe the loyalty and belief Will and MM is showing the club and vice versa, will finally change the teams fortunes.

Somethings gotta give
Mitch for that term/dollars would be a nightmare. Ideal would be a 1 year show me contract for Nylander money and if he shows he can stop wilting in the playoffs then we can talk about higher term/dollars.

Yes I know that's a pipedream. Both him signing for one year, and showing he can stop wilting in the playoffs. Unfortunately dreams are all we have at this point, no reason to expect anything other than another good regular season followed by a disappointing playoff performance.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Mitch for that term/dollars would be a nightmare. Ideal would be a 1 year show me contract for Nylander money and if he shows he can stop wilting in the playoffs then we can talk about higher term/dollars.

Yes I know that's a pipedream. Both him signing for one year, and showing he can stop wilting in the playoffs. Unfortunately dreams are all we have at this point, no reason to expect anything other than another good regular season followed by a disappointing playoff performance.
You know that $12.5 million deal is coming. There is no way this risk-adverse management group is going to trade Marner or let him walk. Once you rule out those options, the only thing left is a multi-year deal.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
You know that $12.5 million deal is coming. There is no way this risk-adverse management group is going to trade Marner or let him walk. Once you rule out those options, the only thing left is a multi-year deal.
Well, if they do this, especially if we lose in the 1st round again and Marner is his usual subpar self, then it is written in stone that this organization is not serious about ever winning a cup.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well, if they do this, especially if we lose in the 1st round again and Marner is his usual subpar self, then it is written in stone that this organization is not serious about ever winning a cup.
Sadly we already know this, it’s about seasons tickets and jersey sales………

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What's your point?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
They have to.

It's simple: if they bring back Marner, they show that they aren't trying to win a cup.

This simple fact is clear:

The core doesn't work for playoff hockey.

If Marner is signed Tre doesn't understand team building.

YOU CANT BUILD ANYTHING WITH SEVERE CAP CRUNCH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad