Damn, it's starting again, that dreaded optimism.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The captaincy thing is irrelevant from my perspective, but I think you are very much underestimating the impact of adding Tanev, OEL and Berube, and the quality of the team's goaltending. The team's overall defensive structure and results will be vastly improved.
God I hope your right, though your not very often. I am firmly in the camp of I'll believe it when I see it, but I will be the first to come in here and tell you were right if you are.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I've completely shifted my attitude about this team. Of course I hate the playoff futility, but it takes a lot to go from good to great. I would gladly take the good, because the no playoffs leafs experience was awful.

You get laughed at by other fanbases who haven't sniffed the playoffs for years. It makes them feel good for some reason to watch TOR lose in the 1st round. OK. Did you have fun Habs fans? Great. I hope you enjoy this regular season when your team is out of playoff contention before Christmas.

Honestly an NHL team has to get there. The Leafs get there, and I'm glad. Hopefully they catch lightning in a bottle. Perhaps the Rielly/Tanev pairing is magical. Perhaps the goaltending is light's out. Perhaps the trade deadline will really put the Leafs over the top.

I'm happy with them making the playoffs. It's silly to think a Marner trade will just turn their fortunes.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
One day I'm gonna get too old to care anymore.

I'll realize all the time spent following this team can be better spent doing other things. I'll eventually drift away. And who knows maybe they will win it while I'm still alive.

But I won't care.

I won't even know the names of the players. At best I'll catch the highlights of the games at the bingo hall. Because I sure won't be going out of my way to watch every game like I do now.

Watching this team lose and lose and lose some more isn't something I plan on doing until the day I drop.

God help us all if I'm still bitching about the Leafs for another fifty years. There's gotta be more important things in life. Just because I can't think of what that might be right now doesn't mean I won't ever figure it out.

Better yet if I'm lucky I'll go senile and forget about this team altogether.
I'm 70 and it's still my 2nd favourite distraction. Enthusiasm doesn't wain because of age, at least for me it didnt

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The captaincy thing is irrelevant from my perspective, but I think you are very much underestimating the impact of adding Tanev, OEL and Berube, and the quality of the team's goaltending. The team's overall defensive structure and results will be vastly improved.
I think that will help during the regular season for sure, we were not getting quality goaltending and we also didn’t play great defence at times, but what of those is going to improve the teams ability to score come playoff time? This was another year where I wouldn’t say defence lost us a series, our offence did, and we have the same guys for the most part. Next year it might not be Marner, it might be Matthews or nylander, but one of the core 3 always completely no shows and the other two perform under expectations.

Although I will say, I’m interested in woll because although a very short sample, he’s posted numbers where I think even our inept offence can win. He may actually be able to post a .930 and low 2’s GAA over a run and I think that’s what we would need to win a round or go on a run, if he could ever stay healthy that is.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
"Good teams are built from the Goalie out, through strong defense ......"

I believe that GOOD teams are built from the goalie out so with Leafs goalies stats from this past season even in terms GSAx.

View attachment 903270

Leafs new combo at a combined +27.3 Goals Saved Above Expected is likely the best the Leafs have had..

View attachment 903277

View attachment 903278

With their SV% and GAA it really leads to OPTIMISM, particularly after the debacle of the past GM that didn't have a clue.
Was hoping for a healthy Hakanpaa and to trade Liljegren. We would have had a better PK and better shot blockers to put in front of Woll and Stolarz.

Rielly Tanev
Benoit McCabe
OEL Hakanpaa

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Should be the year they win the division, and maybe the conference. I don't think Boston's acquisitions will change much for them, and Florida and Tampa both got worse in the off-season. Leafs will have a great regular season and Berube will win coach of the year.
Your optimism is misplaced, I’m still waiting for the Leafs to catch the Bruins in last year’s regular season. Kresgin you ain’t……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

I'll realize all the time spent following this team can be better spent doing other things. I'll eventually drift away. And who knows maybe they will win it while I'm still alive.

But I won't care.

I won't even know the names of the players. At best I'll catch the highlights of the games at the bingo hall. Because I sure won't be going out of my way to watch every game like I do now.

Watching this team lose and lose and lose some more isn't something I plan on doing until the day I drop.

God help us all if I'm still bitching about the Leafs for another fifty years. There's gotta be more important things in life. Just because I can't think of what that might be right now doesn't mean I won't ever figure it out.

You’ve just described exactly where I’m at with this team, 62 and pretty much all out of patience, some day others will know what this feels like, book it……..

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010

But I won't care.

I think I'm there. But not because the team sucks. For me, the NHL product has all but lost everything that makes hockey special. I watched a lot of hockey when the Leafs weren't a playoff team, but now it's tough to watch these fairies league wide.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think I'm there. But not because the team sucks. For me, the NHL product has all but lost everything that makes hockey special. I watched a lot of hockey when the Leafs weren't a playoff team, but now it's tough to watch these fairies league wide.
I think we are all nostalgic for the type of game that was played when we were most interested in hockey. For me, that was the late 70s/most of the 80s.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I think we are all nostalgic for the type of game that was played when we were most interested in hockey. For me, that was the late 70s/most of the 80s.

Those were some pretty lean years for one to be 'most' interested in hockey, unless you're saying those were the years you were playing the game. For me, being 65 yrs young, part of the reason I appreciate this version of the team is that unlike so many years in our past is talent - though unrealized in their success during the playoffs - it's fun to watch. Watching Rocky Saginuk stickhandle with the toe of his blade trapping the puck on the ice was fun :laugh:. Many of the rest on those teams really didn't possess much talent.

As we still don't know what this team will look like when the puck drops for the beginning of the season, that we still have more 'talent' than many teams in the league, that some young players who I think have something to help the efforts of the team succeed are finally here, that we've a new coach, blah, blah, blah, I'm going to bend towards optimism and try to enjoy my team until they prove they've fooled me again.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm 70 and it's still my 2nd favourite distraction. Enthusiasm doesn't wain because of age, at least for me it didnt

Like yourself, following this team is my second form of entertainment.

What once used to be my favourite form of entertainmemt for decades has now dropped to second place. The amount of time I spend following this team has reduced. For the first time since I was like twelve I didn't even buy a calendar this year.

I don't see any reason to continue wasting valuable resources like time and money on an organization that doesn't appreciate it.

You’ve just described exactly where I’m at with this team, 62 and pretty much all out of patience, some day others will know what this feels like, book it……..

Now I know how Red Sox fans must have felt all those years.

The entire league has become watered down.

The game resembles soccer more and more every year. Soon there will be no contact at all anymore. Just skate, pass, and shoot.

At which point hopefully I will have already lost my mind and stopped watching anyway.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
68 here and while I will probably always watch the games and cheer for the leafs my expectations for this group is close to zero.
During some of the really bad teams losing was bad but at least we understood while they were losing. Like a fool I bought into the shanaplan but it has turned to dust.
Oh well there is always next rebuild.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
68 here and while I will probably always watch the games and cheer for the leafs my expectations for this group is close to zero.
During some of the really bad teams losing was bad but at least we understood while they were losing. Like a fool I bought into the shanaplan but it has turned to dust.
Charlie Brown is Leaf Nation, Lucy is MLSE

1725051764809.jpeg

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Like yourself, following this team is my second form of entertainment.

What once used to be my favourite form of entertainmemt for decades has now dropped to second place. The amount of time I spend following this team has reduced. For the first time since I was like twelve I didn't even buy a calendar this year.

I don't see any reason to continue wasting valuable resources like time and money on an organization that doesn't appreciate it.

Now I know how Red Sox fans must have felt all those years.

The entire league has become watered down.

The game resembles soccer more and more every year. Soon there will be no contact at all anymore. Just skate, pass, and shoot.

At which point hopefully I will have already lost my mind and stopped watching anyway.
Agree, not worth a lot of time or money. I still record every game and if they play well I watch entire game. If they stunk, fast forward a lot.
Screw the Red Sox. Let's go Yankees
It is soccer and basketball combined. It is not hockey anymore. Imlach would die. Ops, he did.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

The hyperbole really gets to me here.

The Shanaplan "turned to dust" did it? Why? Because we have won a cup yet? What about this team suggests the window is shut?

Is it that are big three are all getting better every year and entering their primes?

Is it that Tavares won't be an $11M Leaf next year?

That we finally have young players that can contribute starting to knock on the door?

That we finally have a home grown G that we can be excited about?

That we hired a new coach with experience and a cup?

That we haven't locked in Marner and can see what he does playing for a contract?

That we have one of the best regular season records over the past five years and the longest playoff appearance streak in the NHL?

That we are in good shape cap-wise and now it is rising again?

Some disappointment? For sure. Dust? Come on. I think sometimes you guys (elder statesmen here) let the 57 years cloud hour view. I just had the conversation with runman. It gives off a real "negative no matter what" vibe.

Look how long it took Colorado, Tampa and Florida to go from bottoming out to hosting a cup. It takes years. Washington and St. Louis too (though those were less like the Leafs).

It doesn't seem fun to be down on the team all the time and cheering for the home team should be fun.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
The hyperbole really gets to me here.

The Shanaplan "turned to dust" did it? Why? Because we have won a cup yet? What about this team suggests the window is shut?

Is it that are big three are all getting better every year and entering their primes?

Is it that Tavares won't be an $11M Leaf next year?

That we finally have young players that can contribute starting to knock on the door?

That we finally have a home grown G that we can be excited about?

That we hired a new coach with experience and a cup?

That we haven't locked in Marner and can see what he does playing for a contract?

That we have one of the best regular season records over the past five years and the longest playoff appearance streak in the NHL?

That we are in good shape cap-wise and now it is rising again?

Some disappointment? For sure. Dust? Come on. I think sometimes you guys (elder statesmen here) let the 57 years cloud hour view. I just had the conversation with runman. It gives off a real "negative no matter what" vibe.

Look how long it took Colorado, Tampa and Florida to go from bottoming out to hosting a cup. It takes years. Washington and St. Louis too (though those were less like the Leafs).

It doesn't seem fun to be down on the team all the time and cheering for the home team should be fun.
Blah blah blah. They have been making changes every dam year, players, GM’s and coach’s. Older role model players to teach the young core how to play properly etc etc and we have 1 single round win in 8 years of Shanny’s reign of incompetence. It’s not just hat we have not won a cup yet but it’s more about we have not made a single dam improvement or stride towards that so ya the shanaplan has turned to dust because he allowed it to go on without making real changes not just the same things as usual.
At least some of those teams you mentioned showed improvement along the way…..because they made changes that were effective not just the same year after year. 7 wasted years with Tavares and the other 3

Reactions: rumman

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Blah blah blah. They have been making changes every dam year, players, GM’s and coach’s. Older role model players to teach the young core how to play properly etc etc and we have 1 single round win in 8 years of Shanny’s reign of incompetence. It’s not just hat we have not won a cup yet but it’s more about we have not made a single dam improvement or stride towards that so ya the shanaplan has turned to dust because he allowed it to go on without making real changes not just the same things as usual.
At least some of those teams you mentioned showed improvement along the way…..because they made changes that were effective not just the same year after year. 7 wasted years with Tavares and the other 3
Florida went 25 years without winning a playoff series, two years later they won a cup.

Anyway, my point was that a few of you seem grumpy and it doesn't seem like you have fun being Leafs fans. You certainly don't make it fun for others to be Leafs fans. This response of yours does nothing to change that opinion of mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It’s so apparent that this core can’t get it done, yet the sheep are fine with running it back, year after year. It’s going to be another April full of “I told you so’s…………”

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Florida went 25 years without winning a playoff series, two years later they won a cup.

Anyway, my point was that a few of you seem grumpy and it doesn't seem like you have fun being Leafs fans. You certainly don't mLe it fun for others to be Leafs fans. This response of yours does nothing to change that opinion of mine.
It’s become obvious, anyone with a differing opinion from you seems to be “grumpy” or “angry.” Perhaps we just know how to call a spade a spade, I'll leave you to your delusions without trying to diagnose why your so hopeful……….

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It’s become obvious, anyone with a differing opinion from you seems to be “grumpy” or “angry.” Perhaps we just know how to call a spade a spade, I'll leave you to your delusions without trying to diagnose why your so hopeful……….

..or some guy who starts his response to my thoughtful post with "blah, blah, blah" seems grumpy to me.

You are not as subtle or smooth as you think are. This recent post refers to my delusions, and before that it was my satisfaction with mediocrity. These are insults. You know it, I know it and everyone knows it. Also, slapping the "grinning idiot" emoji on a post as a response is not a good look.

I am a big boy and I can take it, but don't appear to be all mystified as to why someone might call you grumpy.

Why would you have to "diagnose why someone is hopeful" as a fan of their team? That's the points isn't it? It makes the victory and the parade that much sweeter when it happens. Again, are you sure there is no foundation to that statement that you come across as grumpy here?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
..or some guy who starts his response to my thoughtful post with "blah, blah, blah" seems grumpy to me.

You are not as subtle or smooth as you think are. This recent post refers to my delusions, and before that it was my satisfaction with mediocrity. These are insults. You know it, I know it and everyone knows it. Also, slapping the "grinning idiot" emoji on a post as a response is not a good look.

I am a big boy and I can take it, but don't appear to be all mystified as to why someone might call you grumpy.

Why would you have to "diagnose why someone is hopeful" as a fan of their team? That's the points isn't it? It makes the victory and the parade that much sweeter when it happens. Again, are you sure there is no foundation to that statement that you come across as grumpy here?
Don’t hold your breathe, but nothing wrong in hoping…….

Reactions: conFABulator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad