Post-Game Talk: Dallas wins and my schwartz watch quit again...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I’m not sure what the Sportsnet crew was going for earlier in the game when they were talking about Oettenger’s new deal and comparing his stats to Skinner’s (tied in save percentage last year and Skinner had one more win). Then they showed stats from goalies drafted that year while talking about Swayman’s new deal. This Oilers broadcasting crew couldn’t possibly be suggesting Skinner deserves a similar contract could they? It’s stupid if they are for many reasons.
The broadcast crew are some major Skinner sniffers. They talk him up like he's Ken Dryden out there. OH what a great save! From Dadonov, who never scores on an extreme angle shot from the boards. Basically any rubber that hits Skinner is a great save and any time Dallas misses its because of Skinner is great. Debrusk is even worse at this.

Michaels before game going on about how Skinner owned OTT. Debrusk 3 secs before the Dallas goal going on about how great.....whooops Dallas scores a second later.

Last edited:
Reactions: iCanada

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Is there a player that spends more time on ice or on his knees that Arvid? no.

Positive aspects Podkolzin with his best game of the year but the guy fails with hands. Lots of effort, no results.

Stecher with Nurse and Emberson with Kulak is looking like pairs. I prefer to continue with these.

Today was a huge game not just because of our record but it shows what team we are. It showed today that perhaps we're not as good as the team we had last spring.

We don't want to face Dallas again this spring. Counter to what broadcast were saying the Stars are better without Tanev, Suter, and Pavelski who were all pretty bad in playoffs. This Stars team has more youth playing more minutes. f***, I'll say it too. What I would give to have a player like Marchment. My kind of player. Tough, hard on pucks and can make plays like he did on winning goal. Nobody on ice saw that play happening except Marchment.
Nuge falls more

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
i

Wonder what good ol Mike Smith's been up to.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Nuge falls more
Its a horse derby. ;) Who's in first going down the rail?

But jebus the one image I have of Arvid that gets replayed every game is him knees down or crouched against the board just getting stapled. FFS who told him to EVER be in that position. Oh my lord.

Memo to Arvie you can't be in that position against board. The pure physics of it spells disaster. No wonder he's injured so often.

i

Wonder what good ol Mike Smith's been up to.
That looks like his brother Meth Smith.

• Haha
Reactions: brentashton

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Its a horse derby. ;) Who's in first going down the rail?

But jebus the one image I have of Arvid that gets replayed every game is him knees down or crouched against the board just getting stapled. FFS who told him to EVER be in that position. Oh my lord.

Memo to Arvie you can't be in that position against board. The pure physics of it spells disaster. No wonder he's injured so often.

That looks like his brother Meth Smith.

Would probably take his brother Meth Smith as our goalie over book worm net pusher Skinner right now fairly easily.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
3 goals from the top 6 in 5 games... More concerning, they're not even generating quality looks, even if the shot totals look okay. Seriously, I've seen a few nice individual efforts and a couple of solid give-and-goes from non-dangerous locations, but I can't think of anyone teeing someone else up for a Grade A look in 5 games.

A big part of that seems to be A) guys struggling to find open ice in a shooting position; and B) anytime someone makes a dangerous cut to the slot, they're immediately throwing back to the perimeter.

Also for anyone yearning for Holloway, McLeod, Foegele, etc, the bottom 6 has been fine. Henrique has a goal, Perry has a goal, Connor f**king Brown has a goal, plus Skinner's scored a few while on the 3rd line. Meanwhile...
  • McDavid has been bad. Not just by his standards, he's just been bad. And it's been at both ends of the ice.
  • Draisaitl has more brain-dead penalties than goals.
  • Hyman's been completely snake-bit.
  • RNH has been atrocious. Even the Drai goal tonight is because he overskated the puck.
  • Arvidsson's been noticeable in transition, and I haven't seen the same negative plays out of him as I have with the others, but he's camped near exclusively to the outside in the offensive zone.

It's a similar story on the blueline, where I thought Kulak-Emberson played a very clean game, Nurse-Stecher mostly kept things in control, but it was Ekholm and Bouchard who were struggling with even simple passes and lacking any pace. Bouchard in particular has struggled to generate anything for his 4 teammates all season.

I'm not quite at benching, but they need to mix things up. Instead of trying to balance the size and speed across the two lines (and having them attack more or less in the same way); lean into having one speedier and one heavier line.

RNH-McDavid-Arvidsson
Hyman-Drai-Perry
Skinner-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Podz

As for the PP...
Hyman-McDavid-Drai
Arvidsson-Ekholm

At least for a game. On merit it should also be Skinner replacing RNH, but imo Arvidsson replaces Nuge's role better. Plus as a RHS, he actually gives you the option of a left-wing one timer.

I'd go back to Bouchard after a game, but I need far more from Nuge before he's back on the top unit.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Not a loss to lose sleep over. 5v5 play is really rounding into form. Oettinger was outstanding. I’m feeling confident that this team will make the playoffs.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Would probably take his brother Meth Smith as our goalie over book worm net pusher Skinner right now fairly easily.

Particularly since I don't think you'd have to pay Meth the Oettinger deal.

If we pay Skinner 8 million by the way, Jesus f***ing Christ just kill me. You don't pay guys like Skinner that.

It's like Oilers fans forget what a f***ing goaltender looks like. You pay a guy like Cujo 8 million. You pay to drive a guy like Skinner to the airport so you can pick up his replacement - the shooter tutor.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
They really need Skinner on PP1

The entire issue with the offense is they do the same thing. Throw it to the point lob it on net from bad angles

You never see 1 guy sneak into the hash marks to get a high danger shot off

They also rarely crash the net properly. Way too much perimeter play

Reactions: McAsuno

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
More movement rather than stagnant standing would be a good start too aside from having any FWD that have a 'shoot first' mentality.
Solid video breakdown. Oil are struggling with diamond penalty kill formations that are taking away cross ice passes and clogging middle of the ice. McDavid and puck handlers languish on the perimeter scanning for openings. Oil PP is too often stationary and not moving so puck carrier like Nugent Hopkins in this case has nothing for pass options.

They need way more motion and greater pace. Late Nashville game they moved Draisaitl into middle slot for a different look (they need to do this more) and put Nurse on PP1 which gave them another shot option with a guy who can get his shot through to the net.

Time to refresh with top PP1 stagnant and not producing enough chances or results.

Reactions: McAsuno

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Knoblauch said post game that after 6 games going 1-15 on the PP, they will now seriously consider making 'adjustments' to it. I think the consensus amongst fans is to take Nuge off and insert Skinner

I'm going off the page and propose 2 changes. Just temporarily , insert Ekholm as the PP quarterback. Bouchard has been absolute dogshit, and deserves a little discipline. Ekholm has consistently been our best 5 on 5 defenseman, he needs to be rewarded with a few games on the 1st unit. And perhaps Bouchard will spark that 2nd unit into being an actual factor

And Nuge imo is too important on that half wall, with his subtle touches that keep the rhythm going. Imo, Hyman should be replaced with Skinner. Both natural goal scorers, Hyman is more meat and potatoes and Skinner is more about finesse

I know Knobs won't touch Bouchard on the 1st unit, but eager to see if he'll make those adjustments immediately

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad