Post-Game Talk: Dallas wins and my schwartz watch quit again...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Dallas had 9 shots on goal with minutes left in 2nd period and they weren't losing. By end end of 2nd they're winning the game. Its ALL about goaltending. This was textbook display. If goalies are reversed Oilers score 7 goals.
Yeah well it's never going to be that way. The Oilers score first and there's no doubt in my mind they win the game. One goal against and the team fell apart. Too much perimeter play for my liking. Last year's Oilers would wax this one easily.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Trouble is he's going to get better with man strength. Guy can walk the blueline quite well, has sexy speed, can transition from own zone to Ozone in a flash. He is a potential weapon.

Thing is at worst he's a top 4 D that adds pts and can play jump forward and skate back with a breeze. The compensation we got, it ain't likely much.
Yep. AT WORST, with his range, speed, and size he's going to be a reliable Top 4D for the rest of his career. That's at the very worst. He doesn't have much flash or dynamisms in his game, but he makes smart little offensive plays. That can only go up from here as he realizes how to use his size and speed in this League.

4.5M is a tough pill to swallow. But it's not like the money wasn't there, we'd have to move things around or even just not signing Arviddson gets us there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This is a strange board. Oilers were better this game then they were any of their first 3 games. They were better in this game than they even were in Nashville. This is a tough Stars team playing at home getting world goaltending. It happens.

People were pumped at the last 2 wins despite the Oilers being not great in Flyers game. Oilers gave it up all over ice in this one. Came on the wrong side of a result with nothing going. Plenty of effort out there.

Dallas could be one of the stiffest tests out there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah well it's never going to be that way. The Oilers score first and there's no doubt in my mind they win the game. One goal against and the team fell apart. Too much perimeter play for my liking. Last year's Oilers would wax this one easily.
OTT made about a dozen or more stops close in. Stoning. Easy to shout at clouds in games but the team was giving everything it had.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yep. AT WORST, with his range, speed, and size he's going to be a reliable Top 4D for the rest of his career. That's at the very worst. He doesn't have much flash or dynamisms in his game, but he makes smart little offensive plays. That can only go up from here as he realizes how to use his size and speed in this League.

4.5M is a tough pill to swallow. But it's not like the money wasn't there, we'd have to move things around or even just not signing Arviddson gets us there.
We don't need Broberg talk in every single thread.

Especially ones that have nothing to do with him.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
This is a strange board. Oilers were better this game then they were any of their first 3 games. They were better in this game than they even were in Nashville. This is a tough Stars team playing at home getting world goaltending. It happens.

People were pumped at the last 2 wins despite the Oilers being not great in Flyers game. Oilers gave it up all over ice in this one. Came on the wrong side of a result with nothing going. Plenty of effort out there.

Dallas could be one of the stiffest tests out there.

I think it's pretty fair for fans to be frustrated with the team's results given the inconsistency this core has shown in past seasons.

At this point, with this roster, it's fair to expect better.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Crawford had an inconsistent career, but was underrated in his prime, IMO
Agreed. And Crawford was actually an athletic goalie. Unfortunately, we are stuck with the least athletic goalie in the entire league. I dont get why he constantly gets caught out of position when he knows he can't move an inch laterally. He's not even a positional goalie anymore. His only positive attribute is that he's big. He's bad at everything else.

In saying that, I don't blame him for the game today. Our perimeter offense with zero shooting ability or ability to generate quality scoring chances in the middle of the ice continues to plague us year after year.

Reactions: iCanada

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
OTT made about a dozen or more stops close in. Stoning. Easy to shout at clouds in games but the team was giving everything it had.
Easy stuff for him. The Oilers made it much harder on him last year in the playoffs. We're past the point of excuses.

That still doesn't explain the piss poor offense we've seen through 6 games. You can't keep beating the goaltending drum when the likes of Dan Vladar and Petr Mrazek are making this team look inept.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Agreed. And Crawford was actually an athletic goalie. Unfortunately, we are stuck with the least athletic goalie in the entire league. I dont get why he constantly gets caught out of position when he knows he can't move an inch laterally. He's not even a positional goalie anymore. His only positive attribute is that he's big. He's bad at everything else.

Get small. Position your glove so you can barely use it.

The Schwartz way.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Of course, but that's more so on Oettinger being a brick wall. Can we say the same thing often for Skinner? He's been the 2nd best goalie on a frequent basis. Sometimes the goalies need to steal the game if the team in front can't push for goals. Oettinger did that today. Skinner? Sport another shit save % but at least his mustache and long ass hair are intact.
At this point, it's got to be coaching. He's on his knees with his glove on his hip, just like the first butterfly goalies. Schwartz is just completely out of touch, almost like he's a guy who has never faced a professional shooter in his life....

Reactions: McAsuno

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think it's pretty fair for fans to be frustrated with the team's results given the inconsistency this core has shown in past seasons.

At this point, with this roster, it's fair to expect better.
Well for sure. Which is why I was bitter after the Flyers game. The Oilers were playing a shit club that night and not only let them be in the game, the Oilers were lucky to get even a point out of it.

Conversely the Oilers played fairly well today, just a much harder opponent.

Henrique line wasn't good today.

Good news is if we land on these D pairs for awhile, I think its the best we can do back there. Nurse has looked better with Stecher as I suspected. Glad Stecher is drawing in.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
At this point, it's got to be coaching. He's on his knees with his glove on his hip, just like the first butterfly goalies. Schwartz is just completely out of touch, almost like he's a guy who has never faced a professional shooter in his life....

Schwartz has made all of our goalies look and play smaller than they are. I don't think there's been any goalie here that has blossomed under this apparent awesome goalie coach. Give me a guy like Ian Clark or Sean Burke. Schwartz can f*** off any day now.

Reactions: iCanada

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Easy stuff for him. The Oilers made it much harder on him last year in the playoffs. We're past the point of excuses.

That still doesn't explain the piss poor offense we've seen through 6 games. You can't keep beating the goaltending drum when the likes of Dan Vladar and Petr Mrazek are making this team look inept.
The unfortunate truth is most nights we're facing teams with better goalies. Get used to it. Oilers have to outplay and outgun teams by considerable amounts to guarantee wins. The team tried to do that against Stars first two periods. I think they were gassed by third.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Schwartz has made all of our goalies look and play smaller than they are. I don't think there's been any goalie here that has blossomed under this apparent awesome goalie coach. Give me a guy like Ian Clark or Sean Burke. Schwartz can f*** off any day now.
Skinner+Schwatz=Charmed life.

Where do you sign up for jobs like these?

• Haha
Reactions: iCanada and McAsuno

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Next time in English. Wut?

Trying to parse what you're saying but Duchene with a really good shot is parked in the slot wide open with all kinds of time to bend shaft and whip a howitzer wherever he likes. That was a goal Skinner ain't stopping. Agreed there. But Nuge losing an ownzone shorthanded draw clean is what makes the play. You tie up in that situation, you know, like the game depends on it.
Skinner needed to make that save.

My sentence makes complete sense, the little emoji is the period. Forgot I was having an internet conversation with someone my dad's age 🤣🤣

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Is there a player that spends more time on ice or on his knees that Arvid? no.

Positive aspects Podkolzin with his best game of the year but the guy fails with hands. Lots of effort, no results.

Stecher with Nurse and Emberson with Kulak is looking like pairs. I prefer to continue with these.

Today was a huge game not just because of our record but it shows what team we are. It showed today that perhaps we're not as good as the team we had last spring.

We don't want to face Dallas again this spring. Counter to what broadcast were saying the Stars are better without Tanev, Suter, and Pavelski who were all pretty bad in playoffs. This Stars team has more youth playing more minutes. f***, I'll say it too. What I would give to have a player like Marchment. My kind of player. Tough, hard on pucks and can make plays like he did on winning goal. Nobody on ice saw that play happening except Marchment.
You defend Leon so much like he never makes a mistake bud. Maybe tell him TO WAKE UP?

Reactions: jesusbuiltmyhotrod

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The unfortunate truth is most nights we're facing teams with better goalies. Get used to it. Oilers have to outplay and outgun teams by considerable amounts to guarantee wins. The team tried to do that against Stars first two periods. I think they were gassed by third.
And we have not one, not two, but three fifty goal scorers on the team, plus a D capable of a PPG and RNH who's good for about the same.

2 GF/G isn't going to get it done for any team with SC aspirations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad