Pre-Game Talk: Dallas Stars vs Toronto Maple Leafs @ Scotia Bank Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I want that, and a win.

I do not care if they win as long as they show me some compete. They will get rolled if they play like they did against Zona. History says they do not but if they believe that only the playoffs that count, they might mail it in. I mean, didn't 34 tell management they would show up when it counted in the playoffs last year when they were laying eggs vs Buffalo??

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So we expect this line-up tomorrow?
More accountability.

1 Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
2 Bunting-Matthews-Marner
3 Engvall-Kerfoot-Jarnkrok
4 AstonReese-Kampf-AubeKubel

1 Rielly-Brodie
2 Sandin-Holl
3 Giordano-Mete

1 Samsonov
2 Kallgren

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
That doesn't sound right.
Matches my eye test. Very non-impacting so far in four games. Which is kind of crazy considering his line has played well in generating chances and controlling the play. Maybe he is doing things away from the puck I am not seeing?

Regardless, he earned a spot, has been given a chance, but now the other guy who earned a chance is here and ready to show what he can bring. Internal competition is good.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't want to derail this, but Mo has always been an issue, it's just his offense has been good enough to not worry too much about it. I think Mo needs a better shut down partner to be honest... I think that is where our target should be.

Rielly-Brodie have a 2.14 GA/60 the past two years at ES (2.38 last year alone).

Rielly is certainly more aggressive, and that results in more goals against where he looks out of position, but there is a lot more good than bad. At best, and this applies to pretty much every pairing, the Leafs need to be more selective about when they do it (especially with a lead), but Rielly has performed well with everyone except for an off-side Sandin and Dermott.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
If the Leafs need rest already, then they're in very poor shape.

They need work, reps and to work on their game. They aren't there yet.
They only thing these guys need to give a rest are their egos. Seems they thought just by stepping on the ice against an inferior team they would be given two points. Amazing they haven't been able to realize yet, but this IS the NHL despite how weak a roster may be, it is an NHL roster none-the-less.

This has nothing to do with fitness. With the skill this team has, all they have to do consistently is match the other teams work ethic (which includes going to tough places on the ice to generate scoring chances and not just controlling the puck on the fringes) and the skill will take care of itself.

No doubt they will get there and have a productive regular season. But, they do look to be the same as always... which I guess should not come as a surprise, considering.

Rielly-Brodie have a 2.14 GA/60 the past two years at ES (2.38 last year alone).

Rielly is certainly more aggressive, and that results in more goals against where he looks out of position, but there is a lot more good than bad. At best, and this applies to pretty much every pairing, the Leafs need to be more selective about when they do it (especially with a lead), but Rielly has performed well with everyone except for an off-side Sandin and Dermott.
a.k.a situational hockey or decision making.

Fully agree with your assessment!

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Glad to see Robertson replace Malgin in the lineup. Wish we could see Kral get into some game action.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Matches my eye test. Very non-impacting so far in four games. Which is kind of crazy considering his line has played well in generating chances and controlling the play. Maybe he is doing things away from the puck I am not seeing?

Regardless, he earned a spot, has been given a chance, but now the other guy who earned a chance is here and ready to show what he can bring. Internal competition is good.
The whole team needs some urgency in its game. From Matthews to Malgin, and everyone in between.

Glad to see Robertson replace Malgin in the lineup. Wish we could see Kral get into some game action.
Not really a lot to go on for a decision on Kral yet.

Reactions: wingman75

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Where are you getting these stats from? I see 2.4 GA/60 in 2020/21, 3.4 GA/60 21/22 and 6.9 GA/60 this year so far... for Mo.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
anyone got some notes on Filip Kral?

honestly i somehow have never heard of him
He’s been around for awhile. Makes too much to be an emergency recall, which it looks like they won’t need for a spell, so this could be a good opportunity for him.

Reactions: tom leafers

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Morgan Rielly has been on ice for 7 GA, 2 GF.

I don't know Keefe, maybe switch up the pairs and try to hide Mo a little???

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
a.k.a situational hockey or decision making.

Fully agree with your assessment!

It depends. Maybe the coaching staff is telling them to be aggressive? How many times do we hear the term "killer instinct" thrown around here? Well maintaining your aggression and not just sitting back would be a large part of that (and why I do not think we should be using the term very often). It is also a lot easier for the Leafs to defend when they maintain control in the offensive end.

If he is taking bad pinches, that is another thing. Not sure that is really an issue with Rielly though. He seems to have a pretty good feel for pinching.

Reactions: wingman75

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Mete was signed to be an ER call up, but they wont need that for a long time so the other guys can now get an opportunity

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good to see Robertson get a shot. He definitely earned it.

All due respect to Malgin, I hope Robertson plays well enough to keeps his spot in the top 6. He is a more important part of our future.
"Play the Kids"

Little bro Nic gets to play against his big brother Jason in this one now.

Last edited:
Reactions: darrylsittler27

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I see 15 names ahead of Malgin, not 3.
Perhaps I missed the point of your post.
Probably should have posted virtually everyone is ahead on Malgin in terms of shots on net.

Only Aube-Kubel with 1 and the 3 Leafs goalies have less shots on net than Malgin this year.

That is why he is now listed as the 13th forward and will be a healthy scratch for this next game it appears.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad