Value of: Dallas Stars potential fire sale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
So Iginla is the closest comparable. He was traded 8 years ago. I wouldn't say the odds are in your favor.

You are really hung up on one his age. With rentals, current form is the most important thing. If you think a player having his kind of year isn't worth a first, you will be surprised. If he keeps up this pace or close, the list of suitors will be long.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Given his veteran leadership, current RS production and playoff history, he’s worth the 1st round premium, even if he leverages his trade protection to force his way to a particular team.

Maybe. But how many teams are potential buyers keeping in mind that Vegas, Colorado, and Florida are without their first round picks (mostly held by Buffalo and Arizona - two sellers)? Now, how many players who ("potentially") might get firsts are available?

There are only so many 1st round picks to go around.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Maybe. But how many teams are potential buyers keeping in mind that Vegas, Colorado, and Florida are without their first round picks (mostly held by Buffalo and Arizona - two sellers)? Now, how many players who ("potentially") might get firsts are available?

There are only so many 1st round picks to go around.

1st round value can take the form of a future pick or equivalent prospect even.

Look, I make this argument every year. Only a few will move for rentals and there’s a large sample behind that statement. It’s my pet peeve; HF has a tendency to think 7-10 picks will go yearly. Still, Pavelski has too many desirable qualities for the league to squeeze on him.

Even if it did, Nill could easily just keep him for a playoff push. No deal is sometimes better than a bad deal around this time of year. GMs don’t want the league thinking that they’re push overs at the end of the day; it’s a bad precedent for future trade activity. A 2nd and 3rd doesn’t cut it in this case.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
1st round value can take the form of a future pick or equivalent prospect even.

Look, I make this argument every year. Only a few will move for rentals and there’s a large sample behind that statement. It’s my pet peeve; HF has a tendency to think 7-10 picks will go yearly. Still, Pavelski has too many desirable qualities for the league to squeeze on him.

Even if it did, Nill could easily just keep him for a playoff push. No deal is sometimes better than a bad deal around this time of year. GMs don’t want the league thinking that they’re push overs at the end of the day; it’s a bad precedent for future trade activity. A 2nd and 3rd doesn’t cut it in this case.

Perhaps. Dallas would have to take bad contract back. JP makes 7 million. Most of the teams you're talking about are up against the cap as it is.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
You are really hung up on one his age. With rentals, current form is the most important thing. If you think a player having his kind of year isn't worth a first, you will be surprised. If he keeps up this pace or close, the list of suitors will be long.
Cool im fine letting some other team pay a 1st for a slightly improved chance at a cup. Rangers aren't there yet.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
So from page 1-now there's no interest in sending Radulov and Sekera to Calgary? Ight I'll see myself out, hopefully someone offers something for them :)

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
I wonder if Carolina would just go all in and trade for Klingberg AND Pavelski?

I don't know cap situation and Dallas would definitely need to retain, but if it means they are able to pull a 1st and a higher end prospect such as Suzuki/Drury + other pieces, that could be huge.

It won't happen, but I would love Martin Necas in Dallas playing with Robertson and Hintz. But if Carolina likes what they see from Jarvis, and feel Necas could be replaced internally, maybe it could happen. But such a high price to pay for rentals. Carolina has drafted so well, and accumulated so many assets, they are on the cusp of a deep run, they are at the point where they could pull the trigger on a move like this to put them over the top.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The big question is how Pavelski uses that three-team trade list.

It could end up like an Iginla situation. Really tough to gauge the value of a guy with trade protection.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The big question is how Pavelski uses that three-team trade list.

It could end up like an Iginla situation. Really tough to gauge the value of a guy with trade protection.

I bet it's safe to assume one of the three teams would be San Jose.

If the wheels continue to fall off in Dallas, maybe Joe jumps back to the familiarity of the Sharks.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Avs should acquire Pavelski to stop him from ALWAYS scoring against them
One that note, MN offers a 1st and Greenway. He would look good between Fiala and newly promoted Boldy. Real good.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I bet it's safe to assume one of the three teams would be San Jose.

If the wheels continue to fall off in Dallas, maybe Joe jumps back to the familiarity of the Sharks.

I can't imagine the Sharks being willing to part with anything valuable for him.

Reactions: Sports2

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

I don't know cap situation and Dallas would definitely need to retain, but if it means they are able to pull a 1st and a higher end prospect such as Suzuki/Drury + other pieces, that could be huge.

It won't happen, but I would love Martin Necas in Dallas playing with Robertson and Hintz. But if Carolina likes what they see from Jarvis, and feel Necas could be replaced internally, maybe it could happen. But such a high price to pay for rentals. Carolina has drafted so well, and accumulated so many assets, they are on the cusp of a deep run, they are at the point where they could pull the trigger on a move like this to put them over the top.

Yeah, Necas for a rental or even 2 rentals ain’t happening. The only way they move Necas, imho, is this off-season if he asks for the moon on his next contract.

For Klingberg, I’d expect Bear + a prospect not named Drury or Morrow. (Personally, I’d think they’d not want to trade Suzuki, Heimosalmi or Koivunen as well, but that’s just me).

Potentially, maybe they even consider moving a Niederreiter or Trocheck, but I would highly doubt them doing that. Bear would be the odd man out with them acquiring Klingberg, and he could at least fill-in for the loss. He’s also young enough with team control and top 4 potential to be a long term piece.

I wouldn’t expect the Canes to offer more than Bear + a Bokk/Rees/Gunler type prospect. I’ll be surprised if they’d offer more, but you never know.

Not sure if their interest in Pavelski. I’d think if they go the rental route with Klingberg, any additional deals would probably be for guys with term. Not their MO to go after multiple rentals.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I can't imagine the Sharks being willing to part with anything valuable for him.

Dallas would be looking for futures so I'm not too well-versed on San Jose's prospect cupboard. But I bet they could find an enticing package for Pavelski.

Yeah, Necas for a rental or even 2 rentals ain’t happening. The only way they move Necas, imho, is this off-season if he asks for the moon on his next contract.

For Klingberg, I’d expect Bear + a prospect not named Drury or Morrow. (Personally, I’d think they’d not want to trade Suzuki, Heimosalmi or Koivunen as well, but that’s just me).

Potentially, maybe they even consider moving a Niederreiter or Trocheck, but I would highly doubt them doing that. Bear would be the odd man out with them acquiring Klingberg, and he could at least fill-in for the loss. He’s also young enough with team control and top 4 potential to be a long term piece.

I wouldn’t expect the Canes to offer more than Bear + a Bokk/Rees/Gunler type prospect. I’ll be surprised if they’d offer more, but you never know.

Couple high-end prospects and a pick would be ideal.....I doubt Nino or Trocheck would hold much interest for Dallas.

Then again, who knows what Jim Nill is thinking these days.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I would certainly do something like that if I was in charge:

2023 1st (AZ has has Carolina's 2022 via MTL).
Suzuki (2019 1st round pick)
More picks/prospects (let the teams sort out what works).

I suspect Dallas might want more, and thus that's likely where the deal falls apart as Carolina likely won't want to give more.

Necas and Jarvis aren't going anywhere for a rental IMO. Necas is scoring at a 60 point clip over his last 82 games.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Team going all in for a Cup run will not think his age or is he rental.
What he can deliver this season is the key.

You can have first round pick every year but all in Cup runs are rare.

Late first for Pavelski in playoffs is cheap for a serious contender.
Only so many 1sts to go around. I dont think Pavs gets one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad