Prospect Info: Dalibor Dvorský, 10th, 2023

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Playing time is so critical for young players. Practice and training is all well and good, but in game plays and decision making don’t really happen. I’m glad he’s playing against men, I just wish it was in the second tier so he could actually play. Let him earn his way back to the SHL.

I don't think it hurts short term, but I do agree that you can't spend even 25% of the season playing a minute and a half per game.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I don't think it hurts short term, but I do agree that you can't spend even 25% of the season playing a minute and a half per game.
I see zero chance the Blues let it get that bad. I give it two months of this before they and the SHL come to agreement to bring Dvorsky over to the US.

Reactions: LogosBlue

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
If he is not ready for the SHL, why do we want to put him in the AHL? I think dropping down a league or playing in the CHL would be better for him.

However, working hard to get back into the lineup may also help his development. A little perseverance never hurt anyone.
Overall competitiveness is pretty similar, but the AHL has the added benefit of truly being a development league vs. the SHL where teams can face relegation. There's more at stake.

Also, while the 'talent pool/ceiling' may be higher in the AHL, the SHL also doesn't face near the turnover that the AHL does. Team unity and system play are quite a bit higher, and the veterans are considerably more crafty.

I think the reason you don't see many Euro players jumping from the western Euro leagues to the AHL is mostly because you're adding the element of uprooting a young player when they may still be 1-2 years out.

The nuclear option here would be to bring him over to the AHL after the WJC, assuming he performs there. I doubt that's their preference considering Steen's role is about providing guidance to our Wester Euro players. That said, with IK Oskarshamn potentially facing relegation with how putrid they've been, I don't know that there's a path for Dvorsky with the team. He's viewed as a high risk player, at this point, and Osk is not in a position to take risks.

I agree that it would be ideal if the team/player can work this out; however, the circumstances here aren't the best. I expect we'll see him moved to Allsvenskan, soon, and the situation will be reevaluated during/after the WJC.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
…the situation will be reevaluated during/after the WJC.
This is the bottom line. For better or worse, nothing is likely to happen until after the WJC.

Obviously it’s worth monitoring in the mean time, but personally I’m not getting too worked up at this point. This could hurt Dvorskys development or it could be a blessing in disguise. Time will tell.

Reactions: taylord22

CTrain10

Mar 23, 2023
Do you guys think he’s coming over to play in the A or head down to the CHL with the Sudbury Wolves? If it helps we should be contending, so he’d be coming in to a CHL team looking to win.

Reactions: OSA

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Do you guys think he’s coming over to play in the A or head down to the CHL with the Sudbury Wolves? If it helps we should be contending, so he’d be coming in to a CHL team looking to win.
I don’t think we know anything more at this point. But I’m hoping to see him go to Sudbury. If he’s not ready for the SHL then I doubt he’s ready for the AHL either. Get him playing on N.A. ice and he would get a ton of ice time in Sudbury as well.

CTrain10

Mar 23, 2023
I don’t think we know anything more at this point. But I’m hoping to see him go to Sudbury. If he’s not ready for the SHL then I doubt he’s ready for the AHL either. Get him playing on N.A. ice and he would get a ton of ice time in Sudbury as well.
Yes he would, probably playing with one of the best players in the league in David Goyette. Would also help our powerplay which is under 2% rn

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I'm not sure the point of the CHL when he's already dominated his peers on a consistent basis. It could help him gain confidence, sure, but his issues have been that he needs to figure out how to put it together against men when he has much less time and space. Maybe ECHL for a bit?

CTrain10

Mar 23, 2023
I'm not sure the point of the CHL when he's already dominated his peers on a consistent basis. It could help him gain confidence, sure, but his issues have been that he needs to figure out how to put it together against men when he has much less time and space. Maybe ECHL for a bit?
Never really seen a top prospect go down there. You could argue the level of the CHL is higher than the E tbh.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Great news. CHL is probably the best move to make sure he rebuilds his confidence and give him the most development opportunity. Dvorsky was always a longer term project IMO.

Reactions: CTrain10

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Never really seen a top prospect go down there. You could argue the level of the CHL is higher than the E tbh.
It's rare that a top prospect is in this situation. NCAA is probably the best league for him but he's obviously ineligible due to his contract on top of having to be enrolled in school which started a month ago. 18 year olds in that situation are rarely eligible for the AHL or ECHL.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Andy Strickland reported on Twitter that he’s headed to Sudbury. The HF Blues pressure campaign worked!

Does going to the CHL now impact our ability to send him to the AHL next season as a 19 year old or does the fact that he was drafted from a Euro league override that?
He’ll be AHL eligible next season as well. The CHL under-20 rule won’t ever apply to him.

Huge get for Sudbury though. And I’m glad that’s where he’s going.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Andy Strickland reported on Twitter that he’s headed to Sudbury. The HF Blues pressure campaign worked!

Does going to the CHL now impact our ability to send him to the AHL next season as a 19 year old or does the fact that he was drafted from a Euro league override that?
Big win for Sudbury, Dvorsky, and the Blues

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
It could be viewed as a step back but it’s the best place for him IMO, given the circumstances. The ECHL is a disorganized gong show.

The part about this I like the most is him getting on N.A. sized ice. He dominated Swedish Jrs but the OHL is a step up and his skating should be challenged more there. His main weakness has always been his skating and agility so playing on the smaller surface with less time and space should be a good challenge for him.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
It could be viewed as a step back but it’s the best place for him IMO, given the circumstances. The ECHL is a disorganized gong show.

The part about this I like the most is him getting on N.A. sized ice. He dominated Swedish Jrs but the OHL is a step up and his skating should be challenged more there. His main weakness has always been his skating and agility so playing on the smaller surface with less time and space should be a good challenge for him.
The lesser competition on smaller ice is definitely a pro. My main concern with the CHL is that it can reinforce the bad habits he's learned from just having a more developed body that his peers, and that's already clearly had an effect on how his game translates to men's leagues with less time and space available.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Yes he would, probably playing with one of the best players in the league in David Goyette. Would also help our powerplay which is under 2% rn
Isn’t Goyette a center though? I’d think they’d want to keep both Goyette and Dvorsky down the middle but could be wrong.

Also, is a trade incoming? I see Sudbury already has 2 imports on their roster - Vondras and Chromiak, so they’d have to trade one to add Dvorsky to the roster, right? I’d assume it’ll be Chromiak as Vondras is the starting goalie and thus harder to replace but I’m just guessing there.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Yes. As I wrote in another post, once he signs a CHL deal which he has to on order to play in CHL, he is bound by all the CHL rules, including no AHL.

He’ll be AHL eligible next season as well. The CHL under-20 rule won’t ever apply to him.

Huge get for Sudbury though. And I’m glad that’s where he’s going.

Why wouldn't the CHL rule apply if he signs a CHL contract?

Reactions: CTrain10

CTrain10

Mar 23, 2023
Isn’t Goyette a center though? I’d think they’d want to keep both Goyette and Dvorsky down the middle but could be wrong.

Also, is a trade incoming? I see Sudbury already has 2 imports on their roster - Vondras and Chromiak, so they’d have to trade one to add Dvorsky to the roster, right? I’d assume it’ll be Chromiak as Vondras is the starting goalie and thus harder to replace but I’m just guessing there.
All signs is probably Chromiak. Goyette can pretty much play any of the 3 forward spots. A line of Musty-Dvorsky-Goyette is the best in the league in my opinion but I am biased. It would hurt to lose Chromiak for us, but he’s about our 5th dman anyway. Dvorsky comes in as one of our 3 best forwards from day 1.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Yes. As I wrote in another post, once he signs a CHL deal which he has to on order to play in CHL, he is bound by all the CHL rules, including no AHL.

Why wouldn't the CHL rule apply if he signs a CHL contract?
Because the under-20 rule is based on what team/league you’re drafted out of, which for Dvorsky is the Allsvenskan. If he had played for Sudbury last season, the under-20 rule would apply to him. But he didn’t, so it doesn’t.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Because the under-20 rule is based on what team/league you’re drafted out of, which for Dvorsky is the Allsvenskan. If he had played for Sudbury last season, the under-20 rule would apply to him. But he didn’t, so it doesn’t.
So I looked into this. It is based on draft. Accirding to the article I read, if a European player was drafted by CHL before they are drafted by the NHL the rule still applies, even if they don't join the CHL until after they are drafted by an NHL team. Dvorsky was drafted into the CHL in 2022. So according to that interpretation, he cannot go to AHL next year

Link

I am still looking for actual AHL-NH agreement,, as this isn't the best source.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad