Dale Weise

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
By adding players that can play transition, Montreal as a team plays better transition. When the former two years tried it, they had no confidence and reverted to puck dumping. Now everyone buys into a system Therrien first tried to introduce, thanks to a roster that can implement it at every line change.

Better? For everyone?

Nynja*

So because we added Petry, our other 5 D are capable of moving the puck up instead of dumping off the glass?

Because we added DSP, Mitchell, Flynn, Byron, Semin and Flash...we are now capable of carrying the puck in instead of dump and chase?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Even old, slow Hal Gill moved the puck up in Jacques Martin's system. Short high percentage passes on the breakout to assist lesser skilled players like him. Our top players are the same and dumping and chasing only hurts lesser skilled players.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Or, you know, they changed some things that favor puck possession more?

You mean the same management who refused to admit the Habs were playing more of a defensive style? To the point where the GM lashed out at a journalist for claiming such a thing?
The same analysts who were saying how the Habs over-relied on Price last season?
The same players kept talking about defense, that also discussed needing more offense, and have now switched their tune to puck possession?
The same ones who apparently have zero info on their best player's injury?..It's as if Price is away on a space mission and they have no form of communication.

We aren't opting for the ''safe play'' at every opportunity. You want to say it was the player poorly executing last year? Well that's fine, but that means the same thing.
We are playing different than last year. I don't think you are understanding this.

You can say it's the same system as the last two years but we're finally executing it properly, at the end of the day, we're playing differently.

I think you guys are playing this little foolish game not to admit the team is playing differently.
As I said before, you can say anything, the proof is in the pudding. I'm not imagining things here. The team is entertaining, last year I was falling asleep. So we're definitely not playing the same.
You can say it's the same system, if they're executing it better that means they're playing differently.

System A poorly executed means you aren't actually playing System A. Get it?

If you can't admit the team is playing differently then you're right, we will never agree.

Cheers :cheers:

No need to take this personally, we just don't agree that's all :)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
So because we added Petry, our other 5 D are capable of moving the puck up instead of dumping off the glass?

Because we added DSP, Mitchell, Flynn, Byron, Semin and Flash...we are now capable of carrying the puck in instead of dump and chase?

Finally someone gets it!!!......just think of the system as a Jenga game, if one piece is out of whack, structure is lost and the game crumbles!!

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Right, Jeff Petry, the #3 Dman, is the reason the whole team plays better..
Last year people couldn't even admit Price was the main reason we won so much, but now, Jeff Petry is supposed to be the reason why the whole team plays better.

Jeff Petry is the reason why we've had PK and Markov each rush up to be part of a 2 vs 1.

The team plays differently. It's clear as day.

Of course it's not just Petry..

It's DD playing way better.
It's the addition of Flash.
It's DSP getting in shape to play our system.
It's Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Gallagher improving.
It's Dale Weise taking a step forward.
It's Emelin playing better.
It's Mitchell/Flynn being there from the start and having learned the system and playing way better than whatever crap we had on our 4th line in the past.

And all of this, it has synergistic effect. Since the start of the season, all our players keep saying it : our opponent can't follow the pace we set with how we roll 4 lines. They know why we're doing well. And if you're honest with yourself, you do too.

Nynja*

Finally someone gets it!!!......just think of the system as a Jenga game, if one piece is out of whack, structure is lost and the game crumbles!!

So jeff petry is the reason PK had to chip it off the glass, PK being one of the elite D active today

Riiiiighttttr

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Of course it's not just Petry..

It's DD playing way better.
It's the addition of Flash.
It's DSP getting in shape to play our system.
It's Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Gallagher improving.
It's Dale Weise taking a step forward.
It's Emelin playing better.
It's Mitchell/Flynn being there from the start and having learned the system and playing way better than whatever crap we had on our 4th line in the past.

And all of this, it has synergistic effect. Since the start of the season, all our players keep saying it : our opponent can't follow the pace we set with how we roll 4 lines. They know why we're doing well. And if you're honest with yourself, you do too.

All you are doing is giving reasons as to why we are playing BETTER, or in other words DIFFERENTLY.

As I said to Jaffy, you can say that it was the player not being good enough or executing the system properly the past season, the point stands.

Let's say Therrien laid out system A last season and wanted the guys to play this way. Our guys failed to execute it properly. So, if they failed to play system A well, that means they weren't actually performing the system. They were performing shades of it.
This year however, we are playing to this system's full capacity. So no matter how you want to spin it, we are playing differently.
You can say it's the same system but well executed. You can it's thanks to an improved roster.
At the end of the day, we are playing differently.

I think it's obvious they've made some adjustments to the system. Every team does it every year. Heck, teams do it in the POs depending on who they face, just like we played a more possessive game last year in the POs. But if you refuse to even admit this as a possibility, it still doesn't change the fact we play different.
I don't recall seeing Markov or PK or any other Dman last season having the chance to be on a 2 vs 1, it's happened so often this year. I think it's pretty obvious we're playing a more offensive game. We didn't change the roster enough to justify such an increase in scoring. We are set to finish scoring with more than 40 ES goals compared to last year. Sorry, but our roster didn't improve as much.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
So jeff petry is the reason PK had to chip it off the glass, PK being one of the elite D active today

Riiiiighttttr

My wife's company has Sens season tickets and I watch Norris Trophy winner Karlsson chip it off the boards every game...... :amazed: ???

No Number 1 D chips pucks off the boards, only Canadiens D..... Riiiiigggghhhhttt!

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
My wife's company has Sens season tickets and I watch Norris Trophy winner Karlsson chip it off the boards every game...... :amazed: ???

No Number 1 D chips pucks off the boards, only Canadiens D..... Riiiiigggghhhhttt!

You're boring. But consistent.

Nynja*

Theres a difference between using chip off the glass as one of many options, and using chip off the glass as the only option...

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Theres a difference between using chip off the glass as one of many options, and using chip off the glass as the only option...

Nah because our whole D core just chip and chase instead of carrying the puck, not happening this year nearly as much but yeah same system :shakehead
Not sure why people don't see a difference in cross the red line dump the puck line change last years, and a more puck possession based team this year.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Nah because our whole D core just chip and chase instead of carrying the puck, not happening this year nearly as much but yeah same system :shakehead
Not sure why people don't see a difference in cross the red line dump the puck line change last years, and a more puck possession based team this year.

puck possession is a function of your talent, not of your system..talent, speed and execution is what makes you possess the puck, not a system or everyone would be playing a "Puck possession system"... The system, the X's and O's are the same, you go here and you go there and breakouts are the same, everyone in hockey that knows hockey can see this, it's been discussed countless times by ex nhlers, guys who call the game and are their to actually see it and the Insiders like Mckenzie, Pagnotta who have gone on record in saying the Habs are essentially playing the same way, main difference is that they are better at it........only a handful of Posters here that have always had issues with Therrien will object to this, it's a way to keep justifying that Therrien was bad, like we were always able to play this way :shakehead

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
puck possession is a function of your talent, not of your system..talent, speed and execution is what makes you possess the puck, not a system or everyone would be playing a "Puck possession system"... The system, the X's and O's are the same, you go here and you go there and breakouts are the same, everyone in hockey that knows hockey can see this, it's been discussed countless times by ex nhlers, guys who call the game and are their to actually see it and the Insiders like Mckenzie, Pagnotta who have gone on record in saying the Habs are essentially playing the same way, main difference is that they are better at it........only a handful of Posters here that have always had issues with Therrien will object to this, it's a way to keep justifying that Therrien was bad, like we were always able to play this way :shakehead

Refreshing!!!! Thanks!

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Great to see Dale comeback from what appeared to be a very bad injury, not only that but successfully coming out of Pittsburgh with a point, in a very tough match.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Has Weise become one of the best power forwards the Habs have had in years?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

That must be why Carolina is doing pretty good in their possession stats..they are oozing with talent.

Those same posters gave credit to Therrien in the first season where we played a more aggressive forecheck and had better possession stats too. But hey, it must have been the Bouillon, Prust and Armstrong that were the reasons...:facepalm:

The team is playing differently. There is no question about it. You are flat out admitting there is a difference in our play when you say that puck possession is a by product of the roster and that we have an improved roster this year, which permits us to play that style. In other words, we are playing differently thanks to our roster.
And yet, you go back to ''no we're playing the same''. It makes no sense whatsoever and is completely contradictory.

I put it in real simple words for you. System A played poorly=/=System A.
So no matter what you say, it points to us playing differently. It's quite simple to understand.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
In terms of an extension, unless Weise and his agent are ready to accept 3 years at 6 mil or 4 years at 7.5 mil, I'm holding steady if I'm Bergevin. Unless he has a monster 25-30 goal year, I don't see him getting a huge 3+ mil contract. I think at worse, it's 3-4 years at 2.5 mil AAV. I think his future is 30-40 points a year and solid all around contribution.Obviously somebody would overpay on the UFA market, but I'd be shocked if DW didn't want to stay here at a home town discount. Nothing to say things will be as good elsewhere, so why reach for an extra million or two and possibly be unhappy and on a losing club?

Edit:

Career with Habs 44pts in 113 games(0.39 PPGM).
Career elsewhere 26 in 162 games(0.16 PPGM)

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I know nothing of Jenga but even a dotard like me realizes that the Habs are in a better position to win games with thr present personnel than in the recent past.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That must be why Carolina is doing pretty good in their possession stats..they are oozing with talent.

Those same posters gave credit to Therrien in the first season where we played a more aggressive forecheck and had better possession stats too. But hey, it must have been the Bouillon, Prust and Armstrong that were the reasons...:facepalm:

The team is playing differently. There is no question about it. You are flat out admitting there is a difference in our play when you say that puck possession is a by product of the roster and that we have an improved roster this year, which permits us to play that style. In other words, we are playing differently thanks to our roster.
And yet, you go back to ''no we're playing the same''. It makes no sense whatsoever and is completely contradictory.

I put it in real simple words for you. System A played poorly=/=System A.
So no matter what you say, it points to us playing differently. It's quite simple to understand.

Respectfully disagree. Last year, the coaching staff frequently pointed out that the team was sitting back too much, and that they needed to push forward more. The Therrien hyper-critics kept saying that the coaches WANTED the players to play that way when you could listen to the press conferences and hear the truth.

This is not to absolve coaching of responsibility, however. It is the coaches' job to get the players to play the system correctly. Whether that is by motivating them better, showing them video better, working with them one-on-one better, putting better lines together, creating more stability, fostering a better atmosphere, or a myriad of other things, coaches are responsible for getting results.

So the coaches ARE doing a better job this year than the last 2 years, but I do not believe that the system was drastically changed. We've seen this system before, it's just being executed better. Coaches and players ALL get credit.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Respectfully disagree. Last year, the coaching staff frequently pointed out that the team was sitting back too much, and that they needed to push forward more. The Therrien hyper-critics kept saying that the coaches WANTED the players to play that way when you could listen to the press conferences and hear the truth.

This is not to absolve coaching of responsibility, however. It is the coaches' job to get the players to play the system correctly. Whether that is by motivating them better, showing them video better, working with them one-on-one better, putting better lines together, creating more stability, fostering a better atmosphere, or a myriad of other things, coaches are responsible for getting results.

So the coaches ARE doing a better job this year than the last 2 years, but I do not believe that the system was drastically changed. We've seen this system before, it's just being executed better. Coaches and players ALL get credit.

huh no BC, I wouldnt words used in PC as being the truth...

whatever was said last season in various PC doesnt mean much, I mean, we all saw the clip "we're a grinding team" or "you just take a shot and the other player take the rebound" and al'... come on man, you know better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad