Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Jamie Benn (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Whew. Great to have their best player locked up long term, but holy crap at that AAV. I mean, I guess it's good for a top 5 player in the league, but wow. I wonder what McDavid will command off his ELC.

Yah I bet its over 10 million for sure. Especially if he puts up the monstrous numbers everyone expects.

Capslock17

McDaigle
Mar 25, 2009
Connecticut, USA
That's a bad contract, 9.5M cap hit until he's 35? I don't think he's worth that much. Without Seguin, Benn isn't nearly the player he is... you have to at least pay Seguin 9.5M now.

Do you remember the absolute tear he went on at the end of his art ross winning season? And how Seguin was out for all of that?

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Wowza. Seems fair for both sides to me. By the time this contract starts to look bad they'll have quite possibly won a cup with him as the leader.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The Stars have about 3.7 mill in cap space, does this mean -nichushkin is gone?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Still crazy to me how deals aren't going into the stratosphere for high level players. Everyone keeps expecting consistent 10 million plus, but we've only got two of those and everyone agrees those are bad contracts.

Kind of hard to elevate the ceiling when the salary cap has been relatively flat the last 4 years. That's usually what bumps up the salaries of players.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Oh, ha. That's going to be rough. He's had a few good season, but... well... We'll see. I'm betting on this being a thought pill to swallow sooner than later

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
It still freaks me out to see people throwing out the words "worth it", "steal", and "deserve" when somebody is being paid 9.5 MILLION dollars a year. I suppose this is the going rate though.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
That's a bad contract, 9.5M cap hit until he's 35? I don't think he's worth that much. Without Seguin, Benn isn't nearly the player he is... you have to at least pay Seguin 9.5M now.

This is so incredibly wrong it's not even funny. Dont pretend you know what you're talking about haha.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Oh, ha. That's going to be rough. He's had a few good season, but... well... We'll see. I'm betting on this being a thought pill to swallow sooner than later

not understanding these posts

Kopitar is getting more, and he's not a top 3 player in the league as Jamie Benn. And he's older.

If Benn was a UFA I'd want my team to give him 11Mx7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad