D Tom Willander - Boston University, NCAA (2023, 11th, VAN)

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
If you count riding the pine for two entire games, sure.
Years ago i was told that a player can't play college hockey if he has played pro games or even participated pro teams practice. But apparently that was false information and the player contract situation is the decisive factor.

So at the time of my comment i was still under the impression that Willander is not eligible to play in NCAA, since Willander had 2 SHL games and 1 Allsvenskan game. TOI doesn't matter since he was marked in game day line ups in pro leagues.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Years ago i was told that a player can't play college hockey if he has played pro games or even participated pro teams practice. But apparently that was false information and the player contract situation is the decisive factor.

So at the time of my comment i was still under the impression that Willander is not eligible to play in NCAA, since Willander had 2 SHL games and 1 Allsvenskan game. TOI doesn't matter since he was marked in game day line ups in pro leagues.
My bad for not seeing the context, yeah, as long as you don't have a contract (or been under one, I assume) you're good to go, at least outside of USA, & Canada.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
The Athletic's Pronman now has him at #15 overall.

Analysis: Willander’s skating is his main asset for the NHL; he is one of the best skaters in the draft. He has a quick, powerful skating stride and can push the pace up ice with the puck. Willander’s skating allows him to close on checks well and be a quality defender especially when combined with the fact he has some physicality in his game. I wasn’t always sold on his offensive touch. I don’t see a big-time playmaker as a pro, but Willander has good enough skill and vision to move pucks at higher levels well, especially given the space his feet can generate. He has the making of a good two-way top four defenseman.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
The Athletic's Pronman now has him at #15 overall.

Analysis: Willander’s skating is his main asset for the NHL; he is one of the best skaters in the draft. He has a quick, powerful skating stride and can push the pace up ice with the puck. Willander’s skating allows him to close on checks well and be a quality defender especially when combined with the fact he has some physicality in his game. I wasn’t always sold on his offensive touch. I don’t see a big-time playmaker as a pro, but Willander has good enough skill and vision to move pucks at higher levels well, especially given the space his feet can generate. He has the making of a good two-way top four defenseman.

Yeah, at this point, I think it's likely he goes top 20. Could be this year's early "surprise" pick, wouldn't rule out the top 12.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If the FLA pick stays at 17, I would like MTL to draft him at that spot. We need RD on our prospect pool and we do need a defensemen like on our RD with Barron/Mailloux being more offensive guy. He could be a great partner for Huston in the futur and they would play together in BU next year where to could build chemistry.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If the FLA pick stays at 17, I would like MTL to draft him at that spot. We need RD on our prospect pool and we do need a defensemen like on our RD with Barron/Mailloux being more offensive guy. He could be a great partner for Huston in the futur and they would play together in BU next year where to could build chemistry.
I hope Flames snatch him with our pick ngl.

FriarChill

Jan 31, 2023
Vienna
Went to Basel last weekend and i was really impressed by him. Liked his game a lot and was surprised that he wasnt seen as a 1st round pick by most before. I am no expert and am only familiar with the top 20 or maybe 25 picks of the 23 draft so i was quite impressed because i didnt know q lot about him. Same is true (to a little lesser extent) for Edström and wahlberg

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As the draft approaches, more and more of the Dmen will be given consideration over the high scoring junior forwards with size, skating, or other question marks.

I have seen some lists with only 4 Dmen in the first round. That is simply not going to happen.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Willander is a wildcard. I only go off of his Rogle plays which was not as structured as it was for Sweden. He makes the game an adventure for his unit by chasing after every puck. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I went back and watched the Djugardens games and he got burned a lot for snooping around for pucks down low. If a team can settle him down by a notch, it could be a big payoff. My issues with him aren’t skill related but def decision making.

The Puckhound

Jan 24, 2019
Apparently this kid is really impressing in interviews. On the Athletic podcast Pronman said his his interviews are being compared to Gabriel Landeskog's, who's a real natural leader and has been since a young age.

Between the apparent maturity/leadership, his skating and being a 6'1'' RHD this guy is going to go pretty high and have a lot of admirers at the NHL level

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Reminds me much more of Makar in his draft year as a comparable. Not in overall talent, but in skating style and habits.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Apparently this kid is really impressing in interviews. On the Athletic podcast Pronman said his his interviews are being compared to Gabriel Landeskog's, who's a real natural leader and has been since a young age.

Between the apparent maturity/leadership, his skating and being a 6'1'' RHD this guy is going to go pretty high and have a lot of admirers at the NHL level

I get it, but Landeskog was a consensus top-2 pick for most of his draft year. Not doubting Willander's maturity and upside but it would be bananas that one late-season tournament and interviews get him drafted ahead of Benson, Dvorsky, Danielson, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad