D Tom Willander - Boston University, NCAA (2023, 11th, VAN)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Curious who people think would be his closest comparable in recent NHL?
Maybe John Marino?

I have this guy as my third favorite defensemen in this draft and my highest ranked Swedish D. Don’t think he has real #1D upside, but I think his floor is really high and he could be a good two-way #2-3 who can handle the puck well and play shutdown minutes.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Maybe John Marino?

I have this guy as my third favorite defensemen in this draft and my highest ranked Swedish D. Don’t think he has real #1D upside, but I think his floor is really high and he could be a good two-way #2-3 who can handle the puck well and play shutdown minutes.
The bolded part I think is a perfect way to describe this guy. He just has pro written all over him the way he plays the game.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Maybe John Marino?

Same. Not Marino though, tool-wise he's similar to a Sergachev, he just doesn't have the killer mentality that Serge has. I'd say he ends up around a Pesce type.

I have him third too behind Rienbacher and Morin.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
A bit of Stralman in his game I think.

Maybe a little bit.

I think Willander turns into that 25-35 point, quiet and not super physical but very solid defensive defender in the NHL. The best #4 a team could ask for.

I hope he falls to Detroit in the 2nd but wouldn't be surprised to see the Wings take him with the NYI pick.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thought he was Sweden's top defenseman in the tournament. So confident thanks to his brilliant skating and elite IQ. Good at both ends. Shocked if he is not a first rounder.

I had hopes he'd be around in the late 30's prior to this tournament. He's so going in the first round now.

Reactions: Grantham

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Thought he was Sweden's top defenseman in the tournament. So confident thanks to his brilliant skating and elite IQ. Good at both ends. Shocked if he is not a first rounder.
I thought he was the tournament's best defenseman, period. Borderline unbeatable on defense and showcased his great offensive ability.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I haven't seen a ton of Reinbacher so of the guys I've seen a lot of, Willander's been my favorite defenseman of the draft since February. I will say he showed a lot better offensively at the U18 tournament than he did with Rogle.

If it is true that he is going to BU, then Hutson and Willander is going to be an absolutely dominant pairing next year. They should compliment each other perfectly.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I haven’t posted my updated rankings in a while, but I did a personal ranking last month and I had this kid as my #2 defender just ahead of Simishev and Dragcevic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad