D Tom Willander - Boston University, NCAA (2023, 11th, VAN)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Wow nice pull out of seemingly nowhere. He seems really projectable. Probably should have mentioned him in the 2023 defenseman thread, I think he’s definitely potentially at least a 2nd rounder and this high level NCAA path May further elevate his stock in the minds of some.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Big climber for me. I have him as the #2 defender after Gulyayev. Just outside the top 10 overall.

Cool to see him coming to NCAA. You don’t see that much from top Swedish prospects

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
How is it that CHL players are ineligible to play in ncaa bc they are deemed pros but guy who has played in SHL is eligible?
Hasn't signed an SHL contract, but weird that CHL players ars automatically considered pros because they could sign a pro contract, his SHL games he has played a whole combined 0:00 anyway.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Big climber for me. I have him as the #2 defender after Gulyayev. Just outside the top 10 overall.

Cool to see him coming to NCAA. You don’t see that much from top Swedish prospects
Last I remember is Nyquist going to Maine. But that's probably because I only pay attention to Wings' kids.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Hasn't signed an SHL contract, but weird that CHL players ars automatically considered pros because they could sign a pro contract, his SHL games he has played a whole combined 0:00 anyway.
Thanks. How is he able to play in shl if he hasn’t signed contract? He apparently dressed for 2 shl games this year and played in allvasken (sp?) a bit last year.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Thanks. How is he able to play in shl if he hasn’t signed contract? He apparently dressed for 2 shl games this year and played in allvasken (sp?) a bit last year.
Junior players from within your organization only have to be offered a rookie contract once they've reached 100 minutes of ice time, or things like having gotten ice time in 40 Allsvenskan games. The players get a tiny compensation up until that point(2000 SEK per 25 minutes of ice time, or every 4 games in the lineup for goalies).

Should be noticed I'm only talking SHL here.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Junior players from within your organization only have to be offered a rookie contract once they've reached 100 minutes of ice time, or things like having gotten ice time in 40 Allsvenskan games. The players get a tiny compensation up until that point(2000 SEK per 25 minutes of ice time, or every 4 games in the lineup for goalies).

Should be noticed I'm only talking SHL here.
Appreciate the info!

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

It's interesting that a higher-end one is taking that route. There have been some Swedes doing it - EP lists 54 guys on rosters for D1 - but I don't recall one of his calibre in some time.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
How is it that CHL players are ineligible to play in ncaa bc they are deemed pros but guy who has played in SHL is eligible?
It’s a way to push the USHL more than anything. Would lose way too many players to CHL if CHLers were allowed in NCAA.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Willander is the most underrated prospect in this year's draft IMO. I love his game and have him as a mid first rounder. He's not flashy, but does everything you could want in a defenseman. Good size, great lateral and shifty skater with probably the best defensive stick I've seen in the draft. His gaps are excellent, never gets beat 1-1 off the rush, and tilts the play on the ice. I don't have the numbers, but I'd throw money down that he forces dumps at one of the highest rates in the draft. He also moves the puck very well with a good/accurate outlet pass. In the offensive zone he is fairly limited as it stands now, but I think the tools are there to grow into an average player offensively. Maybe a 30-40 point type.

I wonder if his stock rises more after the U18 tournament. Due to his offensive limitations he probably doesn't have #1 upside, but I can see a 22-25 minute a game defenseman that plays nearly flawless hockey. He's been trending up all year and I could see him being a big time riser with a good tournament. I think he should go 15-25 and I have him around 15.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
This guy is very steady. I have him ranked in the back half of the 1st round. One of the most underrated players in the draft. Reminds me of Brett Pesce.
Posted the above before reading the first page. I think he's exactly like Brett Pesce, that's the same comp that came to mind for me too.

Reactions: Grantham and QJL

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
He's been really good, wouldn't be surprised if 5 years from now he's considered better than ASP.
I've made a post or two in the past about how I thought he was better than ASP as far as NHL projectability in a couple posts before. When I saw both of them live at the U-18 Five Nations in Plymouth he was better than ASP especially in the game vs USA where Willander's size / skating combo took notice. ASP is still really good though.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I have him top 15. He's so good. Good mobility, decent offense, won't light the world on fire but can contribute. Good in his own end and defending the rush. Decent size. Just so much to love with this guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad