D Tomáš Galvas - HC Olomouc U20, Czech U20 (2024 Draft)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
It still doesn't change anything in his draft perspective with the prospect of a selection in the 1st round.

It remains the defender with the smallest physical size and more physical offensive defenders are not what is lacking this year.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
A lot of mid season rankings seem to have a distinct trend

20. Jiricek
32. Badinka
60. Galvas

Obviously not a science... But that is the tough areas I'm seeing. Imagine 3 d In First 80 for us.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
It still doesn't change anything in his draft perspective with the prospect of a selection in the 1st round.

It remains the defender with the smallest physical size and more physical offensive defenders are not what is lacking this year.
This all started with him not being drafted at all. Now it is not first round. I'd say he's done a lot to impress. Top 100 is reasonable

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
This all started with him not being drafted at all. Now it is not first round. I'd say he's done a lot to impress. Top 100 is reasonable

Go back to the first page, there was never any debate about his selection.It was always 1st round, it even started with top 10. However, I'm starting to see him as a potential 2nd rounder but that's not a given either.

Teams will take physical defenders often forgotten in the forecasts (Skahan, Emery, Lavoie, Pulkkinen). Usually it's this type of player who surprises.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Go back to the first page, there was never any debate about his selection.It was always 1st round, it even started with top 10. However, I'm starting to see him as a potential 2nd rounder but that's not a given either.

Teams will take physical defenders often forgotten in the forecasts (Skahan, Emery, Lavoie, Pulkkinen). Usually it's this type of player who surprises.
Still I don't think even NHL teams can simply overlook a player who is already showing he can play without problems with men, and at a world juniors he showed that he has no problem playing with 2-3yrs older guys.

Sure he probably won't get much taller, but he can definitely get heavier in a year or two.

We will see how he performs when he is let's say 19-20yrs old, if he will be dominant already at junior level, or this is his ceiling.

I would love to see him in first round, but I can tell now that's probably not going to happen. But I think that 2nd round is very possible, and he can be a potential steal of draft.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
It's not a victory, it's a triumph.

If the guy builds muscle without losing effectiveness elsewhere and establishes himself as a good Czech player, that could change next year. But this year it was closed. Undrafted but he will have a better pro career than more than half of the guys selected. He just has less prospect of playing in the NHL.

Last edited:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I suspect a clown visited us. It's alright. A little reminder. Your thoughts.
Galvas can be a second rounder.
Badinka is better than Jiříček. Always better than Jiříček in your rankings.
Jiříček will never be a first round draft pick.
Kiviharhju first round.
And don't be a fool anymore.
Oh, and I suspected that you clown would show up again. He just didn't disappoint. I'm glad I ignored you for half a year. I will continue from now on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hinterland

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Primo : it was to mitigate a possible reading error (principle of prudence)
Secondo : currently, yes and that was the case before Jiricek's injury.
Tertio : never said it
Quatro : last year, it seemed obvious. Subsequently, I always said that Galvas would be selected after Kiviharju and that the small left-handed defenders would slide.

And above all, I have never harassed and insulted anyone for an opinion. I wasn't expecting an apology but from there you would continue with the insults...

2 years of harassment for saying Badinka would be taken before Galvas for this result :

- Badinka, 34th
- Galvas, out of 225

Last edited:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
You went from absolute contempt to the fact that Galvas can be drafted in the second round (some scouts even before the draft said he was better than Jiříček). You don't know what you are writing.
Badinka before Jiříček? Clown, maybe for you. Certainly not for the scouts, not even after Jiříček was out for half the season. All your rankings were about the fact that Badinka is ahead of Jiřiček, and you put Jiřiček back in the first round only because the others laughed.

So you claimed the same "triumph" about Kiviharju.
The fact that Galvas was not drafted at all is a grave mistake, and your post, where you potentially saw him in the second round, proves it. Could it be done so that you leave us alone, you fool? Which you are not capable of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hinterland

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, seems I walked into some bizarre lovers feud... but anyway.

Crazy he was not drafted.

The only reason it didn't piss me off is because everyone seems to agree this is crazy.

We had 3 overages drafted this year and several free agent signings for undrafted guys. If he's good enough he will make it.
Good year in Extraliga and a top 4 role at Xmas will go a long way

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
You went from absolute contempt to the fact that Galvas can be drafted in the second round (some scouts even before the draft said he was better than Jiříček). You don't know what you are writing.
Badinka before Jiříček? Clown, maybe for you. Certainly not for the scouts, not even after Jiříček was out for half the season. All your rankings were about the fact that Badinka is ahead of Jiřiček, and you put Jiřiček back in the first round only because the others laughed.

So you claimed the same "triumph" about Kiviharju.
The fact that Galvas was not drafted at all is a grave mistake, and your post, where you potentially saw him in the second round, proves it. Could it be done so that you leave us alone, you fool? Which you are not capable of.

Obviously, if you don't understand the words...When you pushed with Galvas by releasing articles from Tony Ferrari, I once conceded that he could be selected in the 2nd round. The discussion was 1st round. I said there was no chance.

In 2023/24, Badinka played well in SHL, Jiricek played poorly in ELC. Badinka is a 2005 - Jiricek a 2006. So less room for improvement for Badinka. Jiricek U18 is much better than Badinka U18. But Badinka U19 is better than Jiricek U18.

I once put Badinka (16) in front of Jiricek (18), 14 months ago and it wasn't a crazy idea. It was even the first list to have put Badinka in the 1st round. To have selected him 34, Carolina had to have him around 21st.

The question is not that you were seriously mistaken. It happens to everyone. You harassed and insulted me for 2 years because I said Badinka would be selected before Galvas.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
I’ll stick to criticizing you. The problem isn’t that you’re wrong, it happens to everyone, me more than others. Why I feel the need to call you out is because of how much of an asshole you come across as when you give your opinions, as if they’re fact, and the gospel and you go and belittle people who try to have a discussion with you. Galvas is another on the lengthy list of guys you’re wrong about.
I think you and Goodyman owe this guy a big apology. I just scanned this thread quickly and he was telling you guys well over two yrs ago that Galvas wasn’t likely getting drafted and y’all were slamming him 😂😂

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I think you and Goodyman owe this guy a big apology. I just scanned this thread quickly and he was telling you guys well over two yrs ago that Galvas wasn’t likely getting drafted and y’all were slamming him 😂😂
You very likely didn't read everything and well, because over time his opinion apparently changed and he wrote that he could easily be drafted in the second round.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
You very likely didn't read everything and well, because over time his opinion apparently changed and he wrote that he could easily be drafted in the second round.
I wrote this to protect myself from your harassment and as a precaution. You would have been insufferable if that were the case and if I had maintained my original opinion. I can't even imagine how you would be if Galvas had gone 34th and Badinka undrafted.

I ranked him 84th. But in my view of things, an offensive guy who I rank outside my top 64 has only a very slim chance of having a career in the NHL.

NHL franchises know from experience that past a certain level of play, offensive talent picks are wasted picks and the remaining picks must be used for defensive talent. And that’s what happens every year in the draft.

So not drafted like Jake Livanavage (62nd on my list) in 2022 or Mazden Leslie in 2023 (62nd on my list), it's not surprising. It is typically this player profile that is put aside.

I am here to support Czech hockey by giving real hope where I think there is some. When I saw these exaggerated comments about Galvas as a potential 1st rounder I wanted to extinguish these false hopes. I did the same thing for Adam Benak.

I repeat : there are no more than 10 NHL spots per year for left-handed defensemen. 178cm, 69kg at 18 years old, we are closer to the profile of a cyclist climber than an NHL defender. Hutson and Kiviharju are the only small left-handed defensemen taken.

Silayev, Dickinson, Buium, Solberg, Freij and bigmen... that will be pretty much the list of 10.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I will say... obviously, I want Galvas to become a top pair NHL D. Looking at a U20 level.. I don't see a big difference between him, Jiricek and Badinka. Despite going undrafted I think he will be in our Top 4 at the U20's at Xmas (Badinka and Jiricek are RHD and he's LHD so he's probably going to be on a very good pair) and no one will watch and think he can't keep up. So my 'eye test' is off the charts at how good he is.

But, I think 3 things led to him going undrafted (despite me yelling at clouds about it)

1. he's LHD
2. I looked up his weigh in at the draft combine:

1719756490077.png

No other player at the combine was in the 150's. No other player at the combine was in the 160's. Next lightest was a forward at 170 pounds who is 6 feet tall - Koivu (nice story with him going to Montreal).

1719756723266.png

1 point in 5 games at the U18's.

Am I saying any of this is fair... maybe not but if I'm a scout I see a very small LHD with no points against his peers. And by small I mean light. 5'10 and 153 pounds

For fun, using Czech standards: He's smaller than Petra Kvitova who is 2 inches taller and 1 pound heavier (well, she's pregnant so probably more than 1 pound right now.lol).

1719756878586.png

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Not going to lie, found this line hillarious.

What is your view on Benak and next years draft?

Until last year we could hope for a Cole Caufield profile because he stood out from the crowd in terms of level of play but he made too little progress in 2023/24. Frankly, I'm not counting on him for 2025. I never thought about putting his name in my first top 32. Tomas Poletin seems to be far ahead of him in the hierarchy. Radim Mrtka for defenders and Matej Tulacek for goalkeepers have the best profile.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad