D David Reinbacher - EHC Kloten, NL (2023, 5th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Of course not, but it’s not trending all that great comparatively .

To be fair he didn’t have a strong D plus 1 year by any measure .
A defenseman like himself production is going to be based on the offense the forwards put up, and his team was a mess this year. Truly offensive to watch their games at times.

I wouldn't worry yet, he's gonna be what he's gonna be, which is a solid 2nd pairing guy with possible 1st pairing upside who makes the right play most of the time.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
To be fair he didn’t have a strong D plus 1 year by any measure .

I've got just about every single game he played last year on my youtube channel, he had one of the worst seasons I have seen a Habs 1st round pick have in their D+1 season. He didn't score a single goal on a goalie for the entire season, way too many turnovers, mistakes for someone that was getting so much hype over his defensive play.

That said he's had a big growth spurt since his draft year where he was said to be 6'2 185 and last year he was 6'3 209 and he looks bigger this year (should get updated stats when training camp starts) so he's had to adjust to that, hard to say how that's been for him. Then add his team fired 2 HC's so he had 3 HC's in 1 year and then went to Laval for 11 games.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
I've got just about every single game he played last year on my youtube channel, he had one of the worst seasons I have seen a Habs 1st round pick have in their D+1 season. He didn't score a single goal on a goalie for the entire season, way too many turnovers, mistakes for someone that was getting so much hype over his defensive play.

That said he's had a big growth spurt since his draft year where he was said to be 6'2 185 and last year he was 6'3 209 and he looks bigger this year (should get updated stats when training camp starts) so he's had to adjust to that, hard to say how that's been for him. Then add his team fired 2 HC's so he had 3 HC's in 1 year and then went to Laval for 11 games.
Is your negative opinion of Reinbacher's play last year only based of his games in Europe or does it also include his games in Laval?

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire

this is incredibly concerning

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is your negative opinion of Reinbacher's play last year only based of his games in Europe or does it also include his games in Laval?

The NL. It's hard to get a read on 11 gams in Laval, he did do much better then I was expecting as going from the big ice to playing in the AHL in the final weeks of the season was a decent test that he mostly passed.

this is incredibly concerning

Not so much as most prospects take several years to progress and find their way. We also know most draft picks don't make it to say play 200 NHL games at least, so lots of picks end up busting every year. Who knows how this will pan out.

But I thought you were a leafs fan still?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Any thoughts why he was regarded as a mid to high first round pick in the first place? Surely they must have seen something in his draft year that they liked.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Any thoughts why he was regarded as a mid to high first round pick in the first place? Surely they must have seen something in his draft year that they liked.
Big, good mobility for his size , right handed .

Have a great day
Usually do. Back at ya ^

That’s an incredibly honest answer . Appreciate the candor

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
His team finished last in their conference in his first year. While he was outstanding in his first year, it wasn’t enough to bring his team to a playoff contender level. Same applies to Bedard.

Game breaking means (at least to me) that player X had such a huge impact that it brought his team from the basement to fighting for a playoff spot the next season

Damn you're reaching so hard with this, might just hurt yourself.

Reactions: TheKrebsCycle

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

l don't know to be honest. I saw very little of him before the draft and I said at the time I was not impressed at all.

But he's big, mobile, aggressive with his stick and closing gaps, he's got a solid two way game.

At the draft he was sold as a great fit for Hutson, a elite defensive D. To me that just is not close to what I have seen. I have said many times I think his offense is actually underrated but his defense to me is overrated. Don't get me wrong, in no way would I say he's as bad as say Barron, Mailloux, Trudeau, Norlinder were this past year in their own end. Just that for a guy billed as elite defensively, I just don't see it. That said he did have a much better 2nd half then 1st as he was all over the place in the 1st half with some jaw droppingly bad mistakes for a "elite D" type. He really cut down on the mistakes as the season went on.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I was only able to watch half of the game but he seemed uninterested. I won’t put too much weight on it but I expected him to be more dominent than this

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I know everyone’s going to kick habs for going Reinbacher over michkov but like I’ve said in other threads…. Reinbacher plays arguably the hardest position to find in nhl(RHD) he has a mature/responsible game and should have a high floor.

It’s not a sexy pick, but he should end up at minimum a top 4 rhd and part of their core on the back end going forward. Maybe he lacks true #1 upside(still we won’t know until he plays at the nhl), but I don’t think it was ever a bad pick.
Describing players' potential in this way has always felt like a death knell to me.

Reactions: Canadienna

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
You can see how raw he is and how he has a solid mobility and certain defensive characteristics that can help him one day at his peak play a solid defensive role, shutting down opponents.

But it's a real shame in the middle of a rebuild you tank an entire season and end up with a player like this 5th overall. When you look at the last 10-15 years and see the names it just stings more.

Hoping for the best but everytime I've seen him he's just been awful and looks like he wants to be the next David Fischer.

He also has no dog in him whatsoever. Looks like a baby but also plays like one.

Will probably end up as Hughes number 1 mistake.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
You can see how raw he is and how he has a solid mobility and certain defensive characteristics that can help him one day at his peak play a solid defensive role, shutting down opponents.

But it's a real shame in the middle of a rebuild you tank an entire season and end up with a player like this 5th overall. When you look at the last 10-15 years and see the names it just stings more.

Hoping for the best but everytime I've seen him he's just been awful and looks like the next coming of David Fischer.

He also has no dog in him whatsoever. Looks like a baby but also plays like one.

I disagree, he's not a bruiser but really don't shy away from contact.
I don't see the comparaison to Fischer either, that guy wasn't even offered a contract.... the concern with Reinbacher is not if he's going to play in the NHL, but what his role is going to be in the NHL.

Reactions: Just Linda

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

Hoping for the best but everytime I've seen him he's just been awful and looks like he wants to be the next David Fischer.

David Bustbacher.

Drafted for getting a few points in a men's league.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

dunno where you get Fischer from - guy spent four years in the NCAA. Reiny is already in the pros

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
That’s an incredibly honest answer . Appreciate the candor
Yeah that must be quite a shock for you, considering your own behaviour of twisting reality in the Michkov thread to fit your wishful thinking.

Anyways, it's true. Reinbacher is not really trending in the right direction. Kid has a lot of tools but doesn't seem very hungry for a pro career in the NHL. This is definitely a year where he needs to correct course and play with a lot more urgency.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I remember a year ago how Slaf was a bust & the worst 1st overall ever. Unless Reinbacher has an absolute terrible year in Laval this year I’ll hold off on his development.

I agree, and of course Hughes deserves the benefit of the doubt at least in terms of us giving Bustbacher more time to cook, but.....

Don't forget about picks like Mesar, too.

We missed out on a lot of high level talent in place of Bustbacher.

We shall see.

Still hopeful but right now it doesn't look great.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Yeah that must be quite a shock for you, considering your own behaviour of twisting reality in the Michkov thread to fit your wishful thinking.

Anyways, it's true. Reinbacher is not really trending in the right direction. Kid has a lot of tools but doesn't seem very hungry for a pro career in the NHL. This is definitely a year where he needs to correct course and play with a lot more urgency.
Yah I’ve really needed to tilt reality to make an actual good player seem good expectation wise…

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

So hard to look hungry in the context he was in last year. Very low scoring team with 3 coaches... very hard to be a positive leader on a team of adults.

As far as this one rookie game, I put very little stock into it. IMO him and Engstrom had trouble in our territory, but showed great defensive abilities at the same time. It should be taken with a grain of salt. I've seen so many players do well and then do nothing as pros.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm not even a Reinbacher fan but some of you are massively overreacting lol. Let's see what he does this year, he's put on some mass and grew, it's not like he's over as a prospect jesus, it's one freaking rookie game. :laugh:
Generally you're not going to know what kind of a player a dman is going to be till hes 22-23 and a lot of dmen don't hit their prime till 26-27.

Not every dman is like Doughty/Heiskanen/Pietrangelo where they look like a stud from the moment they set foot on NHL ice.

Which makes scouting so important. Hopefully these guys saw something real the season before last with Reinbacher and werent just wowed with his interview.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad