D David Reinbacher - EHC Kloten, NL (2023, 5th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He was drafted to be a first pair D.
That’s an interesting debate, honestly. I think he was drafted as a high floor RHD. I think Montreal thought that he could develop into a first pairing guy, but would probably end up as a second pair guy.

I think it’s almost the same projection that Arizona had when selecting Simashev the next pick despite the two being two completely different players stylistically.

Reactions: Guess

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
That’s an interesting debate, honestly. I think he was drafted as a high floor RHD. I think Montreal thought that he could develop into a first pairing guy, but would probably end up as a second pair guy.

I think it’s almost the same projection that Arizona had when selecting Simashev the next pick despite the two being two completely different players stylistically.
Simashev was a panic pick because they didn’t think Reinbacher was going to be taken top 5. Reinbacher was also Philly and Nashville pick at 5 had Montreal traded the pick to them.

Reinbacher was absolutely drafted to be a top pair RHD. You don’t draft someone #5 overall in a very deep draft if his ceiling is simply a top 4 D. He still has ways to go but he still project to be just that, a very solid two-way top pair RHD if he keep his trajectory.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Simashev was a panic pick because they didn’t think Reinbacher was going to be taken top 5. Reinbacher was also Philly and Nashville pick at 5 had Montreal traded the pick to them.

Reinbacher was absolutely drafted to be a top pair RHD. You don’t draft someone #5 overall in a very deep draft if his ceiling is simply a top 4 D. He still has ways to go but he still project to be just that, a very solid two-way top pair RHD if he keep his trajectory.
Simashev wasn't panic pick. If you don't know don't tell. Arizona traveled personally to scout Simashev and But - both are from Lokomotiv system. They knew what they are doing and why.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

You think Armstrong who's worked at the draft for years panic picked a player ? They likely had a number of different scenarios play out and he was next on their list.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

There is no such thing as a panic pick… especially drafting that high. The amount of time and planning put into the draft is absolutely insane… not to mention teams have their scouting staff arrive to drafts almost a week in advance to have daily meetings that run for hours and hours going over their lists again.

Scouts and scouting managements only job is to scout and have their scouting list perfected by the draft….. if a “panic pick” were to ever happen, even in the 7th round, then scouts and management failed miserably.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

What trajectory are you seeing exactly? His D+1 was terrible for a “projected top pairing D”. If you could just elaborate so I can see what I’m missing? Stats, eye-test, growth, what did you see after he got drafted that suggests this? Just curious since you seem so sure of him.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

Panic pick at 6 overall 😆

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel good.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I really think people are underestimating this kid. He isn't super flashy but he is going to be an absolute stud for a long time. He looks absolutely huge out there too now. Hard to believe he's only 19.

Reactions: Top cheese Gaz

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
What trajectory are you seeing exactly? His D+1 was terrible for a “projected top pairing D”. If you could just elaborate so I can see what I’m missing? Stats, eye-test, growth, what did you see after he got drafted that suggests this? Just curious since you seem so sure of him.

"Terrible" isn't necessarily the right choice of words. He was on a shit show of a team in Switzerland and had two injuries at the start of the season which completely sidetracked him. He had some ups and downs and It was somewhat of a disappointing season up until that point, but as soon as he came over to Laval, he was excellent.

I'm convinced that if he would have played a full year in Laval it would have been a different story.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022

That's completely incorrect. Watch the Habs 2023 draft video. They clearly think he'll be a top pairing right D. We'll see if they're right in the next few years.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
That's completely incorrect. Watch the Habs 2023 draft video. They clearly think he'll be a top pairing right D. We'll see if they're right in the next few years.
well of course. They wouldn’t intentionally draft him top 5 if they believed his ceiling was a second pairing guy . But you’re right time w tell .

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
. I think Montreal thought that he could develop into a first pairing guy, but would probably end up as a second pair guy.
Is that usually what teams aim for with top 5 picks? Second pair D, second line forwards, 1B goalies?

No matter what Hughes said about the pick after it was made they expect Rein to be a first pairing guy.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Is that usually what teams aim for with top 5 picks? Second pair D, second line forwards, 1B goalies?

No matter what Hughes said about the pick after it was made they expect Rein to be a first pairing guy.

Anyone that thinks Reinbacher can't be a top pair guy is out to lunch.

Will he be THE top pair guy? I don't know, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he becomes a Noah Hanifin all-situations do it all type.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Zach Bogosian, Griffin Reinhart, Ryan Murray, Erik Gudbranson, Adam Larsson, Noah Hanifin on the top of my head, were all top 5 defenceman picked. Reinbacher deserves to be picked where he was taken and has potential to be better than all of the above mentioned players. So, no stress.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Zach Bogosian, Griffin Reinhart, Ryan Murray, Erik Gudbranson, Adam Larsson, Noah Hanifin on the top of my head, were all top 5 defenceman picked. Reinbacher deserves to be picked where he was taken and has potential to be better than all of the above mentioned players. So, no stress.
You forgot Luke Schenn and Thomas Hickey

No stress

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's certainly going to be an NHLer at some point soon as he has a number of tools that will get him plenty of chances. With his frame, solid speed/skating/mobility, he can move the puck, decent shot, decent physical game but still needs to learn to use his size more. His defensive game was not what I expected to see last season, but in the 2nd half he cut down on the mistakes and in Laval he was much better then I thought, as going from the big ice to the AHL wasn't much of an issue for him.

I don't know how good he will be, as I don't try to look past what they are showing right now. He's got the size and enough 2 way skills that I just don't see him not making the NHL even if it's a 5th/6th. When Josi was just drafted, if you had told me he would one day put up a 96 pt season I would have said that was impossible. People focus too much on thinking said prospect won't go through ups and downs during their development so that when they are struggling, fans get too down on them and when it's going well they get too high often. These things will play out over several years so we'll see what happens.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
They probably won’t be right if that’s the case. He could play in the top pairing in sense where he is the supporting defender for someone who is actually a true #1 D. Like Muzzin was for Doughty or Brain Rafalski was for Nick Lidstrom.

If they thought he’d be a true #1 all situations elite defenseman, I think their expectations were a bit high.

Teams are looking for players to fit into their lineups at 5. It truly depends on the draft itself. Sometimes you are fortunate enough to draft an Elias Pettersson or Jake Sanderson. At 5, teams seem to either go with the high floor guy or the highest boom-bust guy. However, fans will always expect that draft position to produce a superstar because it’s so high in the draft, despite the fact it rarely does.

In the last 20 years these have been the selections:
Ivan Demidov, David Reinbacher, Cutter Gauthier, Kent Johnson, Jake Sanderson, Alex Turcotte, Barrett Hayton, Elias Pettersson, Olli Juolevi, Noah Hanifin, Michael Dal Colle, Elias Lindholm, Morgan Reilly, Ryan Strome, Nino Niederreiter, Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn, Karl Alzner, Phil Kessel, Carey Price, and Blake Wheeler

Your odds of getting a top line forward or top pairing D are extremely low at 5.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
They probably won’t be right if that’s the case. He could play in the top pairing in sense where he is the supporting defender for someone who is actually a true #1 D. Like Muzzin was for Doughty or Brain Rafalski was for Nick Lidstrom.

If they thought he’d be a true #1 all situations elite defenseman, I think their expectations were a bit high.

Teams are looking for players to fit into their lineups at 5. It truly depends on the draft itself. Sometimes you are fortunate enough to draft an Elias Pettersson or Jake Sanderson. At 5, teams seem to either go with the high floor guy or the highest boom-bust guy. However, fans will always expect that draft position to produce a superstar because it’s so high in the draft, despite the fact it rarely does.

In the last 20 years these have been the selections:
Ivan Demidov, David Reinbacher, Cutter Gauthier, Kent Johnson, Jake Sanderson, Alex Turcotte, Barrett Hayton, Elias Pettersson, Olli Juolevi, Noah Hanifin, Michael Dal Colle, Elias Lindholm, Morgan Reilly, Ryan Strome, Nino Niederreiter, Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn, Karl Alzner, Phil Kessel, Carey Price, and Blake Wheeler

Your odds of getting a top line forward or top pairing D are extremely low at 5.
Extremely low?

Ignoring the latest 4 drafts because they are too recent

You have
Sanderson
Petterson
Hanifin
Lindholm
B. Schenn
Reilly
Kessel
Price
Wheeler

Thats 9 of the past 16 drafts where you get a very good player at 5 overall. First line/first pairing/starting goalie.

Did you proof read that list before you posted it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad