D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
With the OHL season never quite getting off the runway due to COVID-19, the league’s top prospect, defenceman Brandt Clarke headed to Europe, playing for HC Nove Zamky in the Slovakian professional league. His game really developed while playing against men. Clarke put up five goals and 10 assists for 15 points in 24 games.

The fourth overall pick in the 2019 OHL Priority Draft, Clarke spent the 2019-20 season with the Barrie Colts. He was a member of the league’s All-Rookie Team, and led all OHL rookies with 32 assists. Brandt also had six goals and 38 points in 57 games. He was a star, playing for Team Canada Red at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, scoring five goals and an assist in six games. His brother, Graeme Clarke, is a prospect with the New Jersey Devils, and was a third-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.

2021 NHL Draft #4: Brandt Clarke Scouting Report

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Clarke just scored again

10-0 Canada over Sweden in the 3rd.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I do wish his skating was better, but guys like Makar and Karlsson made massive gains after being drafted so Clarke might as well.

His skating is great north-south. Great speed heading in that direction. His edgework when walking the offensive blueline looked stiff but not terrible. If he can clean up that part of his game then this kid is going to be absolutely deadly.

One of the comparisons I've seen thrown out there for Clarke is EK53 and I'm not sure he's going to be that kind of offensive defenseman, but Dougie Hamilton is another guy I'd consider as in Clarke's range of possible outcomes. Or maybe even prime Mike Green.

Reactions: grentthealien

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Honestly was surprised when I saw some notable lists have him outside the top 10.

Theres talent evaluators out there (like Pronman) that put wayyyyyy to much value on flashy good skating imo.

Recent players like DeBrincat and J. Robertson have shown that you can still be a really effective NHLer without having amazing skating.

IQ >>>>>

Also its not always a given, but a lot of players have seen exceptional growth in their overall skating after they got drafted.

Last edited:

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Would be so special if a 1st overall draft pick played his draft season in Slovakia
Btw he is now listed at 6'2, did he grow?
This should also allow him to play in the AHL next season, since the requirement to stay in Canadian junior hockey is based on where you were playing when drafted. If he’s drafted after playing in Slovakia, it’s AHL for BC.

d rake

Jan 7, 2019
Winnipeg, MB
Recent players like DeBrincat and J. Robertson have shown that you can still be a really effective NHLer without having amazing skating.
DeBrincat is one of, if not the Hawks best skater. He's improved his skating a alot since being drafted.

I agree with your overall point though.

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Honestly was surprised when I saw some notable lists have him outside the top 10.

Theres talent evaluators out there (like Pronman) that put wayyyyyy to much value on flashy good skating imo.

IQ >>>>>

Also its not always a given, but a lot of players have seen exceptional growth in their overall skating after they got drafted.
Pronman's a reporter, not a scout. I take his opinion with a grain of salt and then some.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014

IQ >>>>>

Those guys are forwards. And toss in Mark Stone -another questionable skater out of jr-while youre at it.
Difference here is BC will be playing the hardest postion in hockey at the next level and glitches in his skating will be magnified. He'll defintley have a career thanks to off-the -chart IQ, puck poise,and offensive instincts but absolutely ludicrous when I see names like Makar and prime-EK as comparables..

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I think Clark has separated himself from the pack and is mostly likely going to be the second defenseman off the board. RHD Offensive Defense with a very strong U18 so far gives him the advantage over the likes of Hughes and Edvinsson

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
This should also allow him to play in the AHL next season, since the requirement to stay in Canadian junior hockey is based on where you were playing when drafted. If he’s drafted after playing in Slovakia, it’s AHL for BC.
That's not true. The Colts loaned him, he is still under the same rules unless there is no OHL season next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad