D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Reactions: CanuckCity

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
His skating is great north-south. Great speed heading in that direction. His edgework when walking the offensive blueline looked stiff but not terrible. If he can clean up that part of his game then this kid is going to be absolutely deadly.

One of the comparisons I've seen thrown out there for Clarke is EK53 and I'm not sure he's going to be that kind of offensive defenseman, but Dougie Hamilton is another guy I'd consider as in Clarke's range of possible outcomes. Or maybe even prime Mike Green.

Karlsson wears 65. But I agree his skating isn't at the Makar/Karlsson level.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
People generally say international tournaments lead to overreaction but I think this year its going to be the best thing scouts have to go on. If Clarke keeps playing the way he is, I could see him very easily being the second dman off the board

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This should also allow him to play in the AHL next season, since the requirement to stay in Canadian junior hockey is based on where you were playing when drafted. If he’s drafted after playing in Slovakia, it’s AHL for BC.

Friedman said this it hasn’t been decided yet whether these players will be classified as drafted out of the CHL. I don’t know why these transactions we saw this year wouldn’t be considered loans. These players didn’t end their contracts with their CHL teams.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
This kid is so good but does anyone else agree he looks really weird out there the way he skates and even when he’s lined up for a faceoff?

Reactions: Zegras11

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Friedman said this it hasn’t been decided yet whether these players will be classified as drafted out of the CHL. I don’t know why these transactions we saw this year wouldn’t be considered loans. These players didn’t end their contracts with their CHL teams.

The OHL failing to but together a season complicates matters on their end. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of players don't return to the OHL who under normal circumstances would have to.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

What's the value of CF% and CF when you're playing for Canada against Belarus and Latvia?

I think there's a totally sound argument for Clarke as the top blueliner in this class, but I wouldn't base it off this tournament. This Canadian team is stacked and they're just battering kids out there. I know some of the OHL kids didn't get a chance to play this year, so you don't have a lot to go off. But I hope scouts are looking at Clarke's 20+ pro games in Slovakia more than this tournament when evaluating him.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I’m not sure the last top prospect like this whose skating reports and qualities were so all over the map. I know it’s only against other 18 year-olds but his skating looks pretty good to me overall. Is it is slightly less than elegant visually that is causing the concern? Is there something about his skating posture that is raising red flags in terms of him continuing to develop that aspect? I mean he’s not generationally explosive like Makar and doesn’t have the effortless smooth perfect glide of Drysdale but I feel like the standard for what constitutes acceptable skating quality in a prospect should not be two of the best skating blueline prospects in a decade.

I’m not an expert on Clarke but I kind of like the Hamilton comp in terms of effective upside (obviously very different frames) in terms of maybe not the most elegant guys out there but just crazy good offensive IQ and tools.

Reactions: Dominance

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I’m not sure the last top prospect like this whose skating reports and qualities were so all over the map. I know it’s only against other 18 year-olds but his skating looks pretty good to me overall. Is it is slightly less than elegant visually that is causing the concern? Is there something about his skating posture that is raising red flags in terms of him continuing to develop that aspect? I mean he’s not generationally explosive like Makar and doesn’t have the effortless smooth perfect glide of Drysdale but I feel like the standard for what constitutes acceptable skating quality in a prospect should not be two of the best skating blueline prospects in a decade.

I’m not an expert on Clarke but I kind of like the Hamilton comp in terms of effective upside (obviously very different frames) in terms of maybe not the most elegant guys out there but just crazy good offensive IQ and tools.

For me its simply his skating style; it looks knock-kneed and "clunky". From an eye test perspective, it looks like he's struggling to get around even if he actually is moving efficiently. I think he's still a pretty good skater overall, and will likely make improvements as he develops, but I can see how it can turn some people off.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
This kid is so impressive. A lot is made of his offensive play but I see the makings of a great defender in his own zone.

He has 5 on 5 general written all over him.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
He seems like a very good player except for his skating. We all know how important skating is if you want to play in the NHL. Is this a major concern for any team drafting him?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
For me its simply his skating style; it looks knock-kneed and "clunky". From an eye test perspective, it looks like he's struggling to get around even if he actually is moving efficiently. I think he's still a pretty good skater overall, and will likely make improvements as he develops, but I can see how it can turn some people off.

It's a technique issue, not a power or speed issue. A couple of offseasons polishing up on that technique and all will be well.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

displacedsabre

Feb 14, 2016
As a Sabres fan Id be cool with it, Im a bit tired of the we need Beniers as a center talk, since weve been hearing about that for years. Sam Reinhart should be the center, no you should take Casey Mitts he will be a good center, no Dylan Cozens is what you are looking for at center. Im tired of hearing about these centers we have to take so we can finally have a 2C behind Eichel.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Over power? I personally think Beniers is the exact type of center they need to infuse into their lineup long term. As the Robin to Eichels Batman.

Sabres are even worse on Defense - with Eichel, Cozens, Mittelstadt, and Reinhart (moved to C this season), center isn’t super high on the “needs” list. And since Buffalo likes their higher-risk big swings with their high draft picks, I can easily see them taking Clarke over Power.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad