D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
As a Sabres fan Id be cool with it, Im a bit tired of the we need Beniers as a center talk, since weve been hearing about that for years. Sam Reinhart should be the center, no you should take Casey Mitts he will be a good center, no Dylan Cozens is what you are looking for at center. Im tired of hearing about these centers we have to take so we can finally have a 2C behind Eichel.

The argument for Buffalo taking Beniers is more that he’s closest to being NHL-ready than the others in that top tier, and Sabres need bodies.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Sabres are even worse on Defense - with Eichel, Cozens, Mittelstadt, and Reinhart (moved to C this season), center isn’t super high on the “needs” list. And since Buffalo likes their higher-risk big swings with their high draft picks, I can easily see them taking Clarke over Power.

totally agree with what you’re getting at and I’m not against Clarke at all, I just don’t think any of their current centers bring what beniers brings, he has so many comparative traits to guys like toews and ROR. He’s the exact type of player they need outside of eichel to in my opinion “bring it all together” I agree they’re are needs on the back end, but I don’t think it’s as dire as u think. Dahlin is Dahlin, Jokiharju is smart, Bryson look to be a legit complimentary piece on a 2nd or 3rd pair, Samuelson should be a solid 3rd Pair PK type that brings physicality, size and can play hard minutes. McCabe coming back in my opinion will be big for them in a heightened but similiar role as samuels son. Then they have guys like Ryan Johnson, will Borgen and antti Laaksonen in the cupboard.
I think if they can sign a veteran type like in the realm of a Hamonic or Braun to play hard minutes(actually defend well) and mentor their young group that they’d be in pretty good shape.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
totally agree with what you’re getting at and I’m not against Clarke at all, I just don’t think any of their current centers bring what beniers brings, he has so many comparative traits to guys like toews and ROR. He’s the exact type of player they need outside of eichel to in my opinion “bring it all together” I agree they’re are needs on the back end, but I don’t think it’s as dire as u think. Dahlin is Dahlin, Jokiharju is smart, Bryson look to be a legit complimentary piece on a 2nd or 3rd pair, Samuelson should be a solid 3rd Pair PK type that brings physicality, size and can play hard minutes. McCabe coming back in my opinion will be big for them in a heightened but similiar role as samuels son. Then they have guys like Ryan Johnson, will Borgen and antti Laaksonen in the cupboard.
I think if they can sign a veteran type like in the realm of a Hamonic or Braun to play hard minutes(actually defend well) and mentor their young group that they’d be in pretty good shape.

Good points. Also the fact that Beniers is closer to being NHL-ready will hopefully make him the more attractive choice.

Personally I feel that Beniers is BPA at #1 but sounds like scouts like the D men more.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Fox is a genius level IQ. Might be the smartest D in the league.

Clarke isn't stupid or lacking in IQ, but he's nowhere near as smart.

Are you comparing them now or as prospects? I don’t think anyone expects even top prospects to be as smart as an NHL player.

And scouts had more concerns about Fox at the next level than they seem to with Clarke (not necessarily IQ-related but still worth noting).

Reactions: CanuckCity

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Are you comparing them now or as prospects? I don’t think anyone expects even top prospects to be as smart as an NHL player.

And scouts had more concerns about Fox at the next level than they seem to with Clarke (not necessarily IQ-related but still worth noting).

Now and as prospects. Was clear that Fox was extremely intelligent even when he was a prospect.

Concerns with him were more related to his size and skating ability than his IQ or talent level.

Reactions: Garyboy

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Clarke is an exceptionally smart and creative player with the puck. I think the Fox comparison holds up pretty well. In their respective draft years they both clearly showed a ton of skill and smarts but needed to make some material, post-draft skating improvements. Neither is the biggest guy in their draft class. Fox was obviously successful in doing so. Time will tell whether Clarke does the same.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I'd argue his skill with the puck is his great strength. More skilled than smart IMO.

Again, not saying he's stupid or has low IQ.
I think his skill stands out so much because he’s so intelligent in getting to the right areas and instinctively avoiding pressure and manipulating defensive structures. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019

Sure, but Clarke is also now 6'2 190lbs. He'll probably clear 200lbs fully matured.
Q. Hughes, Makar, Fox are all "smarter" players than Clarke, and better skaters, but he's really not that far off... and with his size he could definitely grow into a true 1D if he puts it all together.
He also has a very nice shot, I could see him scoring more goals than those guys.

All I know is if my Canucks are picking 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th - it's Clarke all the way.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Sure, but Clarke is also now 6'2 190lbs. He'll probably clear 200lbs fully matured.
Q. Hughes, Makar, Fox are all "smarter" players than Clarke, and better skaters, but he's really not that far off... and with his size he could definitely grow into a true 1D if he puts it all together.
He also has a very nice shot, I could see him scoring more goals than those guys.

All I know is if my Canucks are picking 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th - it's Clarke all the way.

If you think Clarke is 6'2" I have a bridge to sell you in Key West.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Is there any comparison in Clarke's game to Hamilton's at the same age? If Clarke's weight/height are accurate he's not that far off physically where Dougie was, a couple inches and 5 pounds. Maybe he's not the all-situations player Hamilton was at the same age?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Is there any comparison in Clarke's game to Hamilton's at the same age? If Clarke's weight/height are accurate he's not that far off physically where Dougie was, a couple inches and 5 pounds. Maybe he's not the all-situations player Hamilton was at the same age?

They look very similar as prospects, if I'm remembering correctly.

https://thehockeywriters.com/the-ne...raft-prospect-profile-the-next-big-blueliner/

2011 NHL Draft Prospect Profile: Dougie Hamilton

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

I would be 100% OK with the Canucks taking him in any draft position. I can't see him being on the board past #5.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Impressed with him this semifinal and this is definitely nitpicking, but he really needs to stop beaver tapping his stick every time he wants the puck. He's done it several times already this game. Terrible habit he needs to kick.

Sabres prospect Oskari Laaksonen used to do this, it annoyed the hell out of me. But they're kids and that kind of thing fixes itself as the they become pro, if you know what I mean. He eventually stopped as he matured, as I'm sure Clarke will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad