D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Why is there not more hype around his play? It's a weak year for the OHL and he's an overager?

Or is there hype and I've missed it?

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Why is there not more hype around his play? It's a weak year for the OHL and he's an overager?

I think knowledgeable hockey fans are hyped for him. People are also tempering expectations because the Kings are notoriously methodical at developing their prospects. However, I feel Clarke has a very strong chance at staying on the big club full time next year. At this point, it is hard not to see Clarke as probably the best defense prospect outside of the NHL not named Luke Hughes. You can make arguments for Jiricek, Nemec, Mintyukov, Hutson, Zellweger, Edvinsson, Korchinski and others as well, but I'm putting my money on Clarke right behind Hughes at the moment.

Also, holy crap, are there a ton of high caliber defense prospects that are about to break into the NHL. Very exciting!

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
I think knowledgeable hockey fans are hyped for him. People are also tempering expectations because the Kings are notoriously methodical at developing their prospects. However, I feel Clarke has a very strong chance at staying on the big club full time next year. At this point, it is hard not to see Clarke as probably the best defense prospect outside of the NHL not named Luke Hughes. You can make arguments for Jiricek, Nemec, Mintyukov, Hutson, Zellweger, Edvinsson, Korchinski and others as well, but I'm putting my money on Clarke right behind Hughes at the moment.

Also, holy crap, are there a ton of high caliber defense prospects that are about to break into the NHL. Very exciting!
Imagine if he were a Leafs’ draft pick. He’d be the second coming of Bobby Orr. :bow:

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

sorry bro ive been in the Matthew Knies thread. He's the second coming of Eric Lindros so

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Yikes. From 10 points in the first 2 games to only 7 points in the next 3 games. What a disappointing decine. At least he has a chance to redeem himself in round 2.
To be fair, it's more like 7 points in the next 2.5 games, since he received a game misconduct in the second period of game 3.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Plenty of hype, but around here he suffers from being drafted by a team that doesn't flood the prospects board with posts
I also think HFBoards, as a hive mind, can be a bit slow to update their opinions on prospects, post-draft. People get a first impression, often off like 1-2 viewings at the WJC or something, and then never update it.

For example, with Kings prospects:

- Clarke and Byfield had high talent but fairly "junior" games on draft day, lots of elements to their game that wouldn't fly in the NHL. They've both developed so much and really rounded out their games rapidly since, but ppl haven't updated their perceptions

- The reverse would be Turcotte. So polished and well rounded on draft day, but really stagnated, just hasn't been able to take significant steps forward in terms of offensive skill/ability. HFBoards generally remained too high on him for too long IMO

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I also think HFBoards, as a hive mind, can be a bit slow to update their opinions on prospects, post-draft. People get a first impression, often off like 1-2 viewings at the WJC or something, and then never update it.

For example, with Kings prospects:

- Clarke and Byfield had high talent but fairly "junior" games on draft day, lots of elements to their game that wouldn't fly in the NHL. They've both developed so much and really rounded out their games rapidly since, but ppl haven't updated their perceptions

- The reverse would be Turcotte. So polished and well rounded on draft day, but really stagnated, just hasn't been able to take significant steps forward in terms of offensive skill/ability. HFBoards generally remained too high on him for too long IMO
Has Clarke improved his skating?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Has Clarke improved his skating?
Yes, but I also think it's always been stronger than ppl think. My thoughts here, from earlier in this thread:
I see it being a strength, not a weakness. His skating is a little unconventional - adopts a super wide stance more often than most players, and lets his ankles flex/collapse more than you usually see. However, different isn’t necessarily bad - he’s got amazing edgework, super fluid on all his turns and transitions, just really great agility in general. Not gonna wow you with his straight line speed, but it’s also not an issue, it’s fine.

Note that guys like Cale Makar and Rasmus Dahlin also have that wide stance, high ankle flex style a fair bit, and they’re both utterly elite skaters. Clarke doesn’t have their raw speed, but he does have high end agility and decent speed. I think ppl are used to seeing the ankles cave in a little towards the inside edge, and think “bender”, but elite skaters do this on purpose, it’s a way to make turns extra quick/tight, especially when maneuvering in small spaces and at lower speeds.

I think ppl see guys who like to slow the game down at times, and who really get into that wide stance/ankles bent in stance, and have a perception that skating is a weakness, but that's not necessarily the case. Clarke is ultra agile, amazing edges, just crazy mobility in all directions in tight spaces, so fluid with his transitions. And his speed is pretty good too, when he decides to use it, he's just not a guy who flies around all the time, he picks and chooses his spots to go full out.

Honestly, the first time or two I saw him, I wasn't focusing on him deeply, and kinda bought into the perception of "his skating is so-so". But I think if you watch him closely, there's so many amazing aspects to his skating, and few weaknesses. He's a really good skater, just not in a classic textbook style, but in a style that's becoming increasingly popular. I think ppl see him often in this sort of stance:

cut.jpg

And first impression from someone taught textbook, classic power skating is "bender", with the way his knees and ankles collapse in towards the inside edges. But Clarke has amazing mobility in this sort of stance, super rapid and unpredictable direction changes - collapsing in is part of the technique, to increase the blade angle for ultra quick/sharp turning. It's very similar to what guys like Makar and Dahlin do, Kaprizov and MacKinnon too, lots of guys. Skating is changing but ppl's opinions haven't caught up.

Last edited:

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Yes, but I also think it's always been stronger than ppl think. My thoughts here, from earlier in this thread:

I think ppl see guys who like to slow the game down at times, and who really get into that wide stance/ankles bent in stance, and have a perception that skating is a weakness, but that's not necessarily the case. Clarke is ultra agile, amazing edges, just crazy mobility in all directions in tight spaces, so fluid with his transitions. And his speed is pretty good too, when he decides to use it, he's just not a guy who flies around all the time, he picks and chooses his spots to go full out.

Honestly, the first time or two I saw him, I wasn't focusing on him deeply, and kinda bought into the perception of "his skating is so-so". But I think if you watch him closely, there's so many amazing aspects to his skating, and few weaknesses. He's a really good skater, just not in a classic textbook style, but in a style that's becoming increasingly popular. I think ppl see him often in this sort of stance:

cut.jpg

And first impression from someone taught textbook, classic power skating is "bender", with the way his knees and ankles collapse in towards the inside edges. But Clarke has amazing mobility in this sort of stance, super rapid and unpredictable direction changes - collapsing in is part of the technique, to increase the blade angle for ultra quick/sharp turning. It's very similar to what guys like Makar and Dahlin do, Kaprizov and MacKinnon too, lots of guys. Skating is changing but ppl's opinions haven't caught up.
Lol..sorry, sooo much wrong with your analysis.
First , Clarke has not ‘chosen’ to skate knock kneed and on his inside edges . Secondly , how does being on your inside edges allow for ‘super rapid unpredictable direction change’. ? It literally makes those outside edge instant-quick cut backs almost impossible because he’s not on a flat blade. Finally , suggesting there is any similarity to Makars skating is pure nonsense

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
He has #1 potential for sure based on raw talent

Really depends on how his skating transitions at nhl level. And prob going to have a maturity step he’ll have to take before we really see him at his best
ok was asking because i know you guys are kinda deep on the right so maybe LA would consider trading him but if he has #1 potentiel thats a different story

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
ok was asking because i know you guys are kinda deep on the right so maybe LA would consider trading him but if he has #1 potentiel thats a different story

I’m a ducks fan but I think kings are going to need young elc players to come in and produce, as their cap is going to be pretty tight. So while they do have defense depth, a guy like Clarke could be huge value for them

I think of everyone they have Clarke is the highest potential and I think AINEC is warranted there.

He’s got that type of talent

Reactions: Lt Dan and kinghock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad