D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He is a bad skater, basically a poor version of Ekblad. And Ekblad hasn't had the career in the NHL that you'd expect after his junior years. There's a reason why he fell to (thh in the draft, there's a good chance he'll be a bust. As skating ability rarely improves significantly at this age. He probably would have been a star 30 years ago, but in today's NHL he's just not good enough.
His skating is more than good enough. A little awkward but he has good edges and gets around the ice well. Has elite hockey IQ and vision and great puck skills and a good shot. Should be a very good NHL defensemen. Has all the tools.

Reactions: kinghock and KapG

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Goodness, no. That was the start of all their problems, in my opinion.

Despite Blake wanting to play a higher scoring, up-tempo game, there's this obsession with having every player they can spend time in the AHL, then play in the bottom-6, to "learn to check" and play a grinding style. They did it with Kaliyev, too. He's spent the past couple seasons alongside Blake Lizotte, Brendan Lemieux, and the like. He finally had the opportunity to play with Fiala and PLD, but the line was having issues with chemistry in training camp, then Kaliyev got suspended.

In a perfect world, Blake would have both Clarke and Laferriere in the NHL as they have the talent and have generally done well in camp. Then they could take turns in games and be shuffled around. Spence just outplayed Clarke during training camp. And because Blake has mismanaged the cap, he has to go with a 21-man roster.

The most galling thing is one of the best players in camp is Alex Laferriere, and he was sent down, too.
TBH, my friend, I was talking about LAF with the Rangers - the 1OA in the year QB was drafted.

Crazy coincidence you have another LAF on your team. :)

• Haha
Reactions: King'sPawn

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For anyone that thinks the Kings are good with development, who do they have to show for their rebuild that is a top 1/2 of the NHL player?

They are probably the second worst at the development aspect in the NHL. Slightly better than the Habs at it, and slightly worse than the Rangers.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
Bad take. Ekblad’s had seasons where he’s been a top-10 D-man in the league but just really cannot catch a break from freak injuries. And for the three millionth time, Clarke is an awkward skater, not a bad one.

Lmao dude, rather watch hockey than the scoring table. Ekblad has never been a top 10 defenseman.

His skating is more than good enough. A little awkward but he has good edges and gets around the ice well. Has elite hockey IQ and vision and great puck skills and a good shot. Should be a very good NHL defensemen. Has all the tools.

Of course, the guy is so elite that LA is sending him down to the AHL to give other teams a chance to win against them.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Lmao dude, rather watch hockey than the scoring table. Ekblad has never been a top 10 defenseman.

Of course, the guy is so elite that LA is sending him down to the AHL to give other teams a chance to win against them.
Never said he’s elite right now but he’s has great tools and he’s 20 years old man and LA is a good team. Don’t be a clown

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
For anyone that thinks the Kings are good with development, who do they have to show for their rebuild that is a top 1/2 of the NHL player?

They are probably the second worst at the development aspect in the NHL. Slightly better than the Habs at it, and slightly worse than the Rangers.

May I present to you....the Philadelphia Flyers

• Haha
Reactions: slumpy43

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
Never said he’s elite right now but he’s has great tools and he’s 20 years old man and LA is a good team. Don’t be a clown

Pretty weak attempt at trolling. You wrote:
Has elite hockey IQ and vision and great puck skills and a good shot.

LA is hardly a good team as their third D pair Tobias Bjornfot/Andreas Englund and Jordan Spence

Devils are a much better team with a deeper back line. Nemec is younger and forcing to claim his place on the team with his play in training camp. That's the difference that Nemec has 'elite hockey IQ and vision and great puck skills and a good shot'. Clarke is just a bad skater who only racks up points in junior or low level leagues. That's why he dropped so much in the draft rankings...

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

LA is hardly a good team as their third D pair Tobias Bjornfot/Andreas Englund and Jordan Spence

Devils are a much better team with a deeper back line. Nemec is younger and forcing to claim his place on the team with his play in training camp. That's the difference that Nemec has 'elite hockey IQ and vision and great puck skills and a good shot'. Clarke is just a bad skater who only racks up points in junior or low level leagues. That's why he dropped so much in the draft rankings...
Either you’re trolling or you lack reading comprehension. Pretty big difference between saying he’s elite and he has elite hockey IQ (which he does).

He dropped all the way to 8th

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
Either you’re trolling or you lack reading comprehension. Pretty big difference between saying he’s elite and he has elite hockey IQ (which he does).
If a random HF poster says it, it must be true

He dropped all the way to 8th
Projected 1st a year before the draft, top3 at the start of the season, 8th in the draft. Now he wouldn't even go in the first round

• Haha
Reactions: Remparts666

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
If a random HF poster says it, it must be true

Projected 1st a year before the draft, top3 at the start of the season, 8th in the draft. Now he wouldn't even go in the first round
You’re just being a clown for no reason.

A random HF poster says it isn’t true so it must not be. (See it works both ways, anyone can be a clown).
Why don’t you start acting like an adult and have a mature conversation.

It’s an opinion but one that a lot of people agree with. Has always been considered one of his best assets. You don’t have to agree with it.

Send me one decent article where Clarke was projected first. That’s just BS. He was never. He was always in the top 3-5 mix but there was a bunch of other guys in that mix and any of them could drop like every year. There was nothing surprising about him going 8th. Nor would it have been surprising if he went top 5. That’s how the draft goes.

And he would still go top 10 most likely. And you know full well there’s no chance he drops out of the first round. Actually thinking you’re just being a troll with the way you’re acting and the things you’re saying.

If you’re gonna make these outlandish claims at least back it up with something half decent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remparts666

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

Kings are pretty good at turning mid- to late-round picks into solid contributors. Alec Martinez, Dwight King, Nic Deslauriers, Jordan Nolan, Nic Dowd, Andy Andreoff, Nick Shore, Colin Miller, Dominik Kubalik, Mike Amadio, Austin Wagner, Matt Roy, and Mikey Anderson were all third round picks or later.

Their track record with first round picks is much worse.

As for Clarke, he just had one of the greatest all-time seasons for a defenseman in the OHL. Him being sent down says nothing about his current capability or skill. His potential is still sky high.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Spence has nothing left to prove in the AHL and is ready for the NHL... Clarke has something to prove in the AHL now since finishing his junior career... it's a pretty simple decision

You don't rush dmen... that's a recipe for disaster. This will work out way better in the long run letting Clarke develop as a pro in the AHL for a season

I know alot of fans from teams want their prospects rushed to NHL for bragging rights amongst their friends but when it comes to actual development of a young players career, the AHL is always a great decision for a season.. especially for dmen

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Both incorrect.

He's going to the AHL because of Jordan Spence.
Because Spence has paid his dues in the AHL, and Spence makes a little less and the Kings are right at the cap.

So paying dues, and Blake's shitty cap management

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
He’s good enough for the NHL but spending some time in the A isn’t horrible. Playing top pair minutes instead of third pairing minutes is pretty beneficial.

Reactions: wetcoast

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
TBH, my friend, I was talking about LAF with the Rangers - the 1OA in the year QB was drafted.

Crazy coincidence you have another LAF on your team. :)
Sorry, my brain went straight to the Kings prospect.

Funny thing is Alex Laferriere was taken in the same draft as Alexis Lafreniere

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Sooo, what are Kings plans for him?. (this season)

almost ppg in the AHL so far after 6 games
with 30 sog and 10 pim.

Id imagine LA will let him keep doing his thing in the AHL for the whole season and keep building his game at the pro level. If there are any injuries or anything then he may get called up but I'd think the plan is for him to develop all season in the minors

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sorry, my brain went straight to the Kings prospect.

Funny thing is Alex Laferriere was taken in the same draft as Alexis Lafreniere
Nothing is easy in life. Whenever I google his name, I always get the Kings prospect because, as an "Anglo", it's tempting to leave it as "Alex".

:)

• Haha
Reactions: King'sPawn

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Stat and highlight watching only, but 8 game point streak and 18 points in 17 games as 20 y/o in AHL is a good look.

Anyone watching the reign play regularly can corroborate he’s passing eye test too? LA doesn’t really have a reason to bring him up with how they are playing. Let him cook a little longer?

Reactions: Dominance

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA

Devils are a much better team
with a deeper back line. Nemec is younger and forcing to claim his place on the team with his play in training camp. That's the difference that Nemec has 'elite hockey IQ and vision and great puck skills and a good shot'. Clarke is just a bad skater who only racks up points in junior or low level leagues. That's why he dropped so much in the draft rankings...
Oh boy could this have aged any worse?

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Stat and highlight watching only, but 8 game point streak and 18 points in 17 games as 20 y/o in AHL is a good look.

Anyone watching the reign play regularly can corroborate he’s passing eye test too? LA doesn’t really have a reason to bring him up with how they are playing. Let him cook a little longer?

I’ve seen a few games. The biggest thing that sticks out to me is how confident he plays, bordering on arrogant, and other teams really hate it and he feeds on it. He defends well but it puts a target on his back that could be an issue in the AHL. Can’t wait to see him in LA.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

It's as good as it looks.

But the best part is he's defending well as well. Really gaining steam and growing confidence with AND without the puck.

But as @kilowatt says...if this forum hated Doughty, they're going to f***ING HATE Clarke, I'm not sure I've seen a cockier player, and Drew is at least kind of a goofball, Clarke comes off as a complete bag, even with the skill to back it up. He's gonna get hunted.

That being said--he sticks up for his teammates, he's not just gonna go out there and make it about him. Super excited getting assists for dudes, and is just becoming more and more the all-situations general on the back end. I'm scared to let him cook in the AHL because I think someone is going to take his head off, but watching him grow defensively while still carrying the offense at an insane level (leading the AHL in dman scoring!) is a tradeoff that may be worthwhile.

The catch is in LA--you're not moving Doughty, Roy, or Spence during the season, and Anderson, Clarke, Englund have been perfect matches for their partners. Roy may be a cap casualty next year, but in the meantime, Clarke is next man up. Maybe there's a future world where all those guys are on the roster and you rotate thru as Englund is the 7th D or something, but the L/R balance is amazing right now, can't mess with it.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad