D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Reminds me of Dougie Hamilton out there. I know his defensive game still is a work in progress but there’s no denying he has elite potential.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
He had a lot of confidence going into this year. You should've seen him in Kings training camp. It seemed to evaporate once Blake and McLellan started jerking him around, though. I don't have a lot of faith that those two won't find a way to do it again (though the circumstances will be different, obviously). I expect him to look NHL ready in the Fall, but spend most of the season in the AHL, anyways, because Blake won't want to lose Sean Walker or some other silly reason.
Unless LA wants to keep playing rhd on the left that log jam needs to be dealt with.

I can see Clarke making the team with a solid camp. Durzi staying on the left. Then it comes down to Walker and Spence.

Trade Walker if you can and I guess Spence gets to be 7th d.

Bjornfot is really the guy who needs to solidify a spot. Especially if Gavrikov isn't resigned.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Unless LA wants to keep playing rhd on the left that log jam needs to be dealt with.

I can see Clarke making the team with a solid camp. Durzi staying on the left. Then it comes down to Walker and Spence.

Trade Walker if you can and I guess Spence gets to be 7th d.

Bjornfot is really the guy who needs to solidify a spot. Especially if Gavrikov isn't resigned.
If anything, you’re likely to see Brandt on the LH as he pretty ambidextrous for a young Dman and much more so than Durzi..

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sometimes high end scorers, especially Dmen, who go back to junior after a NHL stint are told to work on their D, and not worry about points.Clarke obviously didn’t get the memo.

• Haha
Reactions: Lavar Ball

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Sometimes high end scorers, especially Dmen, who go back to junior after a NHL stint are told to work on their D, and not worry about points.Clarke obviously didn’t get the memo.

He wasn't sent back to work on his game like many others. He was sent back b/c of the logjam in LA.

In his stint in the NHL he wasn't a defensive liability, even playing on his opposite side.

Maybe you didn't get the memo

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He wasn't sent back to work on his game like many others. He was sent back b/c of the logjam in LA.

In his stint in the NHL he wasn't a defensive liability, even playing on his opposite side.

Maybe you didn't get the memo
Really, cause he sure isn’t known as a defensive player. Some LA fans seem to gush about all of their prospects, thinking that they walk on water(i.e. Turcotte). If you think that Clarke is a defense first Dman you don’t have a clue about hockey.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Really, cause he sure isn’t known as a defensive player. Some LA fans seem to gush about all of their prospects, thinking that they walk on water(i.e. Turcotte). If you think that Clarke is a defense first Dman you don’t have a clue about hockey.

Lmao. Nobody said that, and I'm sure nobody wants him to be.

You're in your own world here.

Ptetty sure the Kings org isn't sending him "memos" to slow his current rate of production to play more defense

Memo:" Hey Brandt. We're currently very upset with you dominating and helping your team win lots of games. Please stop embarrassing the LA Kings organization" signed Bozo the Clown

Last edited:

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
“He wasn’t a defensive liability” =\= “he is a defensive d man”

Straw. Man.

Reactions: sleepyh

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
“Hey coach I’m gonna stop scoring so we can play some hockey in our end”

“Good idea Brandt winning is bad”

Is this how this conversation would go? He’s flat out dominating the league and completely instrumental to Barrie’s success. I don’t know what else people are expecting of him.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

This sure sounds objective and reasonable and based on things people definitely said and not at all some latent grumpiness about some weird past disagreement.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

Who thinks Turcotte walks on water? Talk about hyperbole, jesus christ. The majority of fans on the Kings board just hope he'll have a career at all, his injuries are really concerning. If he does, he's probably a bottom six energy guy at this point. Is there a chance he can reach his pre-draft projected ceiling? I dunno, maybe, but it's not looking likely.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Lmao. Nobody said that, and I'm sure nobody wants him to be.

You're in your own world here.

Ptetty sure the Kings org isn't sending him "memos" to slow his current rate of production to play more defense

Memo:" Hey Brandt. We're currently very upset with you dominating and helping your team win lots of games. Please stop embarrassing the LA Kings organization" signed Bozo the Clown
He might have been told to work on defending. They wouldn't saying anything about offense though. That might just drop if a player is trying to be more defensively responsible.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This sure sounds objective and reasonable and based on things people definitely said and not at all some latent grumpiness about some weird past disagreement.
Lets just call Clarke what he is

The Zegras of defensemen

Cocky and highly skilled... going to bring a lot of fans and a lot of haters.

Reactions: wetcoast

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lets just call Clarke what he is

The Zegras of defensemen

Cocky and highly skilled... going to bring a lot of fans and a lot of haters.

I have zero problem calling him kind of an asshole. It drives him like it does Doughty, they take ownership of their games and their teams.

But he had some of the best offensive and defensive metrics on the Kings that have persisted through the season despite him playing when the whole team was dog shit and the rest of the team improving throughout the season.

Kid was absolutely nails in the NHL and only slowed down when they tried to solve their LHD problem by moving him to the left like idiots before sending him to the AHL and juniors, so while no one is pretending he's a shutdown d-man, the driveby comments about his defense/all-around game are misinformed on his pro play.

I said more than others I hated him going back to juniors from a defensive perspective because the concerns with his defense have nothing to do with sacking his peers for lunch money, it's with handling bigger better checkers and power forwards. What he's doing down there is irrelevant to me from that standpoint. It's nice that he gets to be offensively dominant to a silly degree and maybe that will help him too, and he clearly needed to get stronger as he learned by getting trucked by Jamie Benn, but anything related to his defense at the junior level after seeing him against pro men is going in one ear out the other.

Last edited:

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Clarke goes back and immediately makes his team a contender by being a dynamic force on the ice and this is the post you come up with.

If Clarke is going to make a real impact in the NHL he needs to be the cocky f*** that dictates play when he’s on the ice, not practice his net front defense against kids.

He’s never going to be Jacob Slavin but he could be Dougie Hamilton if he plays to his strengths and he’s not going to learn proper defense playing juniors anyways, let the kid torch the league and build his confidence.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Will his skatimg an issue at all I’m the NHL or was that over-blown that his odd skating stride would limit his game? It will be very cool to watch who will become the best D to come out of that draft. Plenty of good ones to watch !

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I saw a post on the Dallas forums that Clarke was jerking off towards the crowd? Lmfao

Surprised I don't see anything in here with more details.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Will his skatimg an issue at all I’m the NHL or was that over-blown that his odd skating stride would limit his game? It will be very cool to watch who will become the best D to come out of that draft. Plenty of good ones to watch !

Limited sample size but the Kings were bad at the beginning of the season--so no real insulation--and there was no indication that his skating was an issue. He's smart enough to be ahead of the play. I think of someone like Drew where skating was never really a strength OR a weakness, if anything, his awkwardness worked FOR him,t hat's the case for BC so far. The only time I ever saw him get caught was when he was about to go on a breakaway lol

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
I saw a post on the Dallas forums that Clarke was jerking off towards the crowd? Lmfao

Surprised I don't see anything in here with more details.
From my angle, it looked like he was subtly making that gesture during a tv timeout when facing the crowd (right after he taunted the fans after he scored). It was a very subtle gesture that lasted around 5 seconds and it seems that no one has tweeted about it, so there is a possibility that I misunderstood the hand movement. It was just very odd...

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I see it being a strength, not a weakness. His skating is a little unconventional - adopts a super wide stance more often than most players, and lets his ankles flex/collapse more than you usually see. However, different isn’t necessarily bad - he’s got amazing edgework, super fluid on all his turns and transitions, just really great agility in general. Not gonna wow you with his straight line speed, but it’s also not an issue, it’s fine.

Note that guys like Cale Makar and Rasmus Dahlin also have that wide stance, high ankle flex style a fair bit, and they’re both utterly elite skaters. Clarke doesn’t have their raw speed, but he does have high end agility and decent speed. I think ppl are used to seeing the ankles cave in a little towards the inside edge, and think “bender”, but elite skaters do this on purpose, it’s a way to make turns extra quick/tight, especially when maneuvering in small spaces and at lower speeds.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad