D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wouldn't call it clean, since the player didn't see it coming. The OHL has rules against blindside hits.

At its annual league meeting, the Ontario Hockey League Board of Governors took further steps in addressing player safety through the adoption of a "Blindside Hit Rule" whereby there will be a penalty assessed for those players who check an opponent from the blindside. Based on the discretion of the referee, a minor, major and game misconduct or match penalty may be assessed. Such infraction would also be subject to review and possible supplementary discipline by the league.

It seems like it still should've been a penalty, but I agree that this punishment feels harsh based solely on that clip. Maybe the player has concussion symptions, though, so the league assessed it as a hit to the head and that called for a suspension. Who knows.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I wouldn't call it clean, since the player didn't see it coming. The OHL has rules against blindside hits.

It seems like it still should've been a penalty. This seems pretty harsh, though. Maybe the player has concussion symptions, so they assessed it as a hit to the head and upgraded the punishment. Who knows.
Exactly. It's a 2 min penalty maybe a major if you wanna chill a junior game out... It was against a star player but a suspension is straight ridiculous.

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm trying really hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they have another angle? If so, I could see it being direct head contact maybe, but impossible to tell from this side.

Regardless, it's been 4 days? It's not that hard to investigate. I hate to don the tinfoil hat but

weird-al-yankovic-crazy.gif

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Crazy for that to be a suspension. No ill intent, a normal hit that’s almost all shoulder to shoulder, with a bit of incidental head contact.

It’s definitely not even a penalty at the NHL level, and IMO shouldn’t be a penalty at the stricter OHL level. An ~5 game suspension though … insane.

Reactions: Dominance

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Ah, just found another angle:

Here it looks completely different - that does look like a headshot, and an ~5 game suspension at the OHL level, especially since Mysak was hurt. Honestly not sure what to think here, the two angles tell very different stories.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Ah, just found another angle:

Here it looks completely different - that does look like a headshot, and an ~5 game suspension at the OHL level, especially since Mysak was hurt. Honestly not sure what to think here, the two angles tell very different stories.

Nice find, still don't know about indefinite suspension but this view is definitely worse than the other.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Nice find, still don't know about indefinite suspension but this view is definitely worse than the other.
Indefinite suspension is actually pretty common in the OHL, it just means they haven’t come to a final decision on the number of games yet.

First angle, I thought it was crazy to suspend at all. Second angle … that does look like an ~5 game OHL suspension. I don’t think there was any malicious intent, but there was a lot of head contact, and Mysak was hurt.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Indefinite suspension is actually pretty common in the OHL, it just means they haven’t come to a final decision on the number of games yet.
I know that but that hit should be an easy call.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That’s pretty subjective - personally, that hit looks so different from the 2 different angles that I’d have trouble deciding on a suspension.

Thanks for finding the other angle, figured it would tell a different story

I'm not sure I can confidently say either way because the footage isn't great quality and I also don't know what Clarke could have done differently but I'm much more accepting of the thought that it was a headshot with the 2nd view

Reactions: ponder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad