Czech prospects update thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Of the overagers.. I had Suchanek and Szturc well ahead of Marcel Marcel.

Still, welcome to the Hawks (who seemingly love drafting Czechs)... nice surprise.

We've had at least one Czech in every round!

Petr???? Suchanek??? Sztrucs? Sprynar? Spunar? Fiala? Dybal?
Šprynar, Szturc
Petr
Because you like him:naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1688064779441.png

7! Ouch

No Petr, no Szturc, no Dybal, No Koci, No Suchanek, No Spunar... wow. Disappointed for sure as I thought 8 was low and 12 was high.

Reactions: Goodman68

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Transfers to the CHL that are fun: Jecho, Fiala, Kral, Stancl, Petr, A.Jiricek have been selected for import.

Considering their rank, I think the top 5 will probably go to North America. They will gain visibility. I find it difficult to place their current level.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Transfers to the CHL that are fun: Jecho, Fiala, Kral, Stancl, Petr, A.Jiricek have been selected for import.

Considering their rank, I think the top 5 will probably go to North America. They will gain visibility. I find it difficult to place their current level.
My hopes:

Jecho, Fiala, Kral, Petr head over. Jecho and Petr would do very well IMO. Would be nice to see them amongst their peers.

Stancl is fine in Sweden

Jiricek should stay too. Following same path as his brother is not a bad thing at all.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
My hopes:

Jecho, Fiala, Kral, Petr head over. Jecho and Petr would do very well IMO. Would be nice to see them amongst their peers.

Stancl is fine in Sweden

Jiricek should stay too. Following same path as his brother is not a bad thing at all.
Szturc won't return to Kelowna next season, So I think Kelowna picked Stancl because they knew he was coming to North America.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Shame our NHL drafts don't go this well... I'd be fine with a lot of them coming over tbh. Jecho, Petr, badinka and galvas all come to mind. Improve draft rankings for jecho, badinka and galvas.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

Shame our NHL drafts don't go this well... I'd be fine with a lot of them coming over tbh. Jecho, Petr, badinka and galvas all come to mind. Improve draft rankings for jecho, badinka and galvas.

If he doesn't get a place in the Galvas A team, he better go away. But I think they have a plan with him and that they count on him at least occasionally among the men and in the other matches he will get a lot of space in the juniors. This is also why he is so low in the rankings, his departure to the CHL is currently unlikely.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I spent quite a bit of time getting caught up on Czech prospects the last few weeks, so here's my pre-season ranking with no guarantees that it's complete. There's a good chance I missed someone and I'm sure this list will look completely different at the end of the season, but I like to have something to go back to and compare at the end of the season.

1. D Adam Jiricek
I like his skating and puck skills but was higher on his brother at the same age because of his size, compete and hockey sense. So as of today I don't think Adam will go as high as David, but he's without a doubt a very likely first-rounder.

2. D Tomas Galvas
This might come back to bite me but Galvas' offensive upside is too high to ignore. The question mark for me is how well he'll transition to the next level, whether it's pro or major junior, especially in terms of his ability to be effective defensively. If the transition is successful, the sky is the limit.

3. F Adam Jecho
Big centres with hockey sense are always interesting. Jecho has yet to wow me in the way that a guy like Galvas has, but there's so much potential there. His foot speed and overall pace are an issue, but he's still a first-round candidate for me too.

4. D David Svozil
While I said I liked David Jiricek more than Adam at the same age, I like David Svozil more than Stanislav at the same age (must be the first name). I think David is an excellent all-round two-way defenseman already, with flashes of size and physicality on one end and flashes of dynamic skill at the other end. For me, Svozil is a first-round candidate too.

5. D Dominik Badinka
Badinka is the player I've probably seen the least of on this list, so I'm not fully sure about my evaluation. He could be a first-round guy too, but mostly based on him being one of the older players in this draft, I have him behind Jiricek, Svozil and Galvas. But, he's certainly an intriguing two-way D as well.

6. D Jakub Fibigr
Fibigr has a long ways to go in his decision-making and discipline with the puck, but also on defense. That said, his skating and skill are excellent, and if he has a successful transition to pro or major junior, he has high-end upside as an offensive defenseman too.

7. F Ondrej Kos
The forwards behind Jecho were a bit tougher to evaluate simply because they aren't as high-end as the D group. That said, Kos takes the top spot for me because of his combination of size, speed and skill. I liked him every time I saw him. How high he can go? No idea. It's unlikely that the first 5 names on this list actually all go in and around the first round, but Kos is clearly a step behind that group for me.

8. F Lukas Kral
I've mentioned this in other threads but I really like Lukas Kral. Does he have actual draft upside? I don't know. He'll have to take another step for sure. But he's shown a ton of intriguing flashes. Speed, skill, shooting, passing, quick decision-making – he's shown it all at some point, albeit always inconsistently.

9. F Oskar Lisler
Not sure how much I actually like Lisler but he looked like a future pro to me. Good speed, size and work ethic. Not sure about his skill level and hockey sense but that can still develop.

10. F Adam Titlbach
This is probably the hottest take and the one many people will disagree with. But I just struggle to see Titlbach take his game to the next level and be as successful as he has been so far. Yes, his U20 league play showed he can play against older, bigger players. But I'm not quite sold on the skill level and decision-making. It can all improve and I'm looking forward to following his progress in Vancouver.

HM: F Jiri Klima, F Maxmilian Curran, F Samuel Drancak, F Lukas Hes

Edit: Already realized I forgot Klima.
Edit 2: Skok isn’t eligible yet.

Last edited:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I spent quite a bit of time getting caught up on Czech prospects the last few weeks, so here's my pre-season ranking with no guarantees that it's complete. There's a good chance I missed someone and I'm sure this list will look completely different at the end of the season, but I like to have something to go back to and compare at the end of the season.

1. D Adam Jiricek
I like his skating and puck skills but was higher on his brother at the same age because of his size, compete and hockey sense. So as of today I don't think Adam will go as high as David, but he's without a doubt a very likely first-rounder.

2. D Tomas Galvas
This might come back to bite me but Galvas' offensive upside is too high to ignore. The question mark for me is how well he'll transition to the next level, whether it's pro or major junior, especially in terms of his ability to be effective defensively. If the transition is successful, the sky is the limit.

3. F Adam Jecho
Big centres with hockey sense are always interesting. Jecho has yet to wow me in the way that a guy like Galvas has, but there's so much potential there. His foot speed and overall pace are an issue, but he's still a first-round candidate for me too.

4. D David Svozil
While I said I liked David Jiricek more than Adam at the same age, I like David Svozil more than Stanislav at the same age (must be the first name). I think David is an excellent all-round two-way defenseman already, with flashes of size and physicality on one end and flashes of dynamic skill at the other end. For me, Svozil is a first-round candidate too.

5. D Dominik Badinka
Badinka is the player I've probably seen the least of on this list, so I'm not fully sure about my evaluation. He could be a first-round guy too, but mostly based on him being one of the older players in this draft, I have him behind Jiricek, Svozil and Galvas. But, he's certainly an intriguing two-way D as well.

6. D Jakub Fibigr
Fibigr has a long ways to go in his decision-making and discipline with the puck, but also on defense. That said, his skating and skill are excellent, and if he has a successful transition to pro or major junior, he has high-end upside as an offensive defenseman too.

7. F Ondrej Kos
The forwards behind Jecho were a bit tougher to evaluate simply because they aren't as high-end as the D group. That said, Kos takes the top spot for me because of his combination of size, speed and skill. I liked him every time I saw him. How high he can go? No idea. It's unlikely that the first 5 names on this list actually all go in and around the first round, but Kos is clearly a step behind that group for me.

8. F Lukas Kral
I've mentioned this in other threads but I really like Lukas Kral. Does he have actual draft upside? I don't know. He'll have to take another step for sure. But he's shown a ton of intriguing flashes. Speed, skill, shooting, passing, quick decision-making – he's shown it all at some point, albeit always inconsistently.

9. F Oskar Lisler
Not sure how much I actually like Lisler but he looked like a future pro to me. Good speed, size and work ethic. Not sure about his skill level and hockey sense but that can still develop.

10. F Adam Titlbach
This is probably the hottest take and the one many people will disagree with. But I just struggle to see Titlbach take his game to the next level and be as successful as he has been so far. Yes, his U20 league play showed he can play against older, bigger players. But I'm not quite sold on the skill level and decision-making. It can all improve and I'm looking forward to following his progress in Vancouver.

HM: F Jiri Klima, F Maxmilian Curran, F Samuel Drancak, D Jan Skok, F Lukas Hes

Good job and great list. It can really be seen that right now Czech hockey is managing to produce better defenders than forwards. Which is a pleasant finding given the knowledge of Czech hockey, defenders were a huge problem in the Czech national teams. But with 03, it seems a new era has begun..
Adam Jiříček is not as aggressive, nor does he support the attack as well as his brother, he is a different type, a better skater, in any case, he is great for his age.
As we know Galvas is our local favorite, he needs to get stronger and he can be an extraordinary player.
I'm a little surprised how many people rate Jecho highly, I still don't see anything special about him. But I like to mess around..
David Svozil is undoubtedly a gifted defender, the biggest problem may be his work ethic, even with his approach to the game he looks like a big phlegmatic. If he takes everything to the right end, he can be a real dark horse among Czech players.
Fibigr is such an underrated player, very solid, I like him..
Forwards are like an obviously weaker group, but still a pretty solid level.

Reactions: pgfan66

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Good job and great list. It can really be seen that right now Czech hockey is managing to produce better defenders than forwards. Which is a pleasant finding given the knowledge of Czech hockey, defenders were a huge problem in the Czech national teams. But with 03, it seems a new era has begun..
Adam Jiříček is not as aggressive, nor does he support the attack as well as his brother, he is a different type, a better skater, in any case, he is great for his age.
As we know Galvas is our local favorite, he needs to get stronger and he can be an extraordinary player.
I'm a little surprised how many people rate Jecho highly, I still don't see anything special about him. But I like to mess around..
David Svozil is undoubtedly a gifted defender, the biggest problem may be his work ethic, even with his approach to the game he looks like a big phlegmatic. If he takes everything to the right end, he can be a real dark horse among Czech players.
Fibigr is such an underrated player, very solid, I like him..
Forwards are like an obviously weaker group, but still a pretty solid level.
The first thing with Jecho is without a doubt his size because I guarantee you if he was 5'10'' he wouldn't be ranked that high. However, there's more to it. Jecho has high-end hockey sense. He's so smart away from the puck and I think a lot of what he does well is easy to be missed when you aren't focused on him. But the closer you watch him, the more you'll appreciate the way he closes lanes, angles opponents, intercepts pucks etc. Then there's what he's able to do with the puck. As I said, he hasn't wowed me, but he's shown flashes of very smooth stickhandling, especially in traffic, excellent passing vision and accuracy, plus a quick, hard, accurate shot. Now I do think he'll have to take a massive step this upcoming season, but he has all the tools he needs to become a high-end player at the next level. Even if it's similar to Kemell, who makes you go "this guy can't skate, how is he in the NHL?" but then still plays really well thanks to his hockey sense and skill.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
The first thing with Jecho is without a doubt his size because I guarantee you if he was 5'10'' he wouldn't be ranked that high. However, there's more to it. Jecho has high-end hockey sense. He's so smart away from the puck and I think a lot of what he does well is easy to be missed when you aren't focused on him. But the closer you watch him, the more you'll appreciate the way he closes lanes, angles opponents, intercepts pucks etc. Then there's what he's able to do with the puck. As I said, he hasn't wowed me, but he's shown flashes of very smooth stickhandling, especially in traffic, excellent passing vision and accuracy, plus a quick, hard, accurate shot. Now I do think he'll have to take a massive step this upcoming season, but he has all the tools he needs to become a high-end player at the next level. Even if it's similar to Kemell, who makes you go "this guy can't skate, how is he in the NHL?" but then still plays really well thanks to his hockey sense and skill.
It is true that his movement on the ice is his biggest weakness. He doesn't have a bad hockey IQ, pass, or shot, but for a first-round draft pick, I didn't really see his performances. Compared to many opponents, he simply came across as a much less skilled player. I think the first round of the draft is a very bold guess indeed. But I'm not a professional scout, I was wrong about Felcman last time, I didn't think he would go that high in the draft (I thought he probably wouldn't be drafted at all). Jecho played practically every time for a national team a year or two older and that could have limited him.. If he plays very well at HGC, he can certainly enter the draft debate in the early rounds..

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
It is true that his movement on the ice is his biggest weakness. He doesn't have a bad hockey IQ, pass, or shot, but for a first-round draft pick, I didn't really see his performances. Compared to many opponents, he simply came across as a much less skilled player. I think the first round of the draft is a very bold guess indeed. But I'm not a professional scout, I was wrong about Felcman last time, I didn't think he would go that high in the draft (I thought he probably wouldn't be drafted at all). Jecho played practically every time for a national team a year or two older and that could have limited him.. If he plays very well at HGC, he can certainly enter the draft debate in the early rounds..
I don't think I disagree with any of that. I also have no idea where he'll be drafted. It's important to remember that a lot can change in a player's draft year and it's a crucial developmental year. As of today, I wouldn't draft Jecho in the first round. But I could see him getting there at the end of the year, so using Central Scouting's preseason system, he's an 'A' prospect for me. But he could very well be a fourth-rounder at the end of the year if he doesn't take the developmental steps he needs to this season.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

1. D Adam Jiricek

2. D Tomas Galvas

3. F Adam Jecho

4. D David Svozil

5. D Dominik Badinka

6. D Jakub Fibigr

7. F Ondrej Kos

8. F Lukas Kral

9. F Oskar Lisler

10. F Adam Titlbach

HM: F Jiri Klima, F Maxmilian Curran, F Samuel Drancak, D Jan Skok, F Lukas Hes

Jecho and Svozil would need to make a lot of progress throughout the season to be in the conversation for the 1st round. But in theory I don't disagree, Jecho has excellent raw tools and Svozil has flashes of great skill at both sides of end. Better adjustment to higher pace of play is the key for both of them.
I personally see a 'big 3' in Jiricek, Galvas and Badinka, similiar in quality to what Sale, Hrabal and Dvorak turned out to be for the Czechs in the 2023 draft. Galvas, as you said, is rather big wildcard, he could skyrocket the rankings. Clearly the most talented player on the list IMO, but very green body.

Anyway, good list, I would make some changes in there, but it represents well what the Czech Republic has to offer in the upcoming draft. Wish we had a bit more forward quality, but hard to complain with that D-core.
Btw, Jan Skok is late-born, so he is 2025 draft eligible. Not sure yet what to make of him at this point though.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Jecho and Svozil would need to make a lot of progress throughout the season to be in the conversation for the 1st round. But in theory I don't disagree, Jecho has excellent raw tools and Svozil has flashes of great skill at both sides of end. Better adjustment to higher pace of play is the key for both of them.
I personally see a 'big 3' in Jiricek, Galvas and Badinka, similiar in quality to what Sale, Hrabal and Dvorak turned out to be for the Czechs in the 2023 draft. Galvas, as you said, is rather big wildcard, he could skyrocket the rankings. Clearly the most talented player on the list IMO, but very green body.

Anyway, good list, I would make some changes in there, but it represents well what the Czech Republic has to offer in the upcoming draft. Wish we had a bit more forward quality, but hard to complain with that D-core.
Btw, Jan Skok is late-born, so he is 2025 draft eligible. Not sure yet what to make of him at this point though.
As I said, I haven't seen a ton of Badinka, so I didn't rank him as high, but I've heard only good things. Definitely agree with everything else too, although in my opinion it's not just Jecho and Svozil who need to take a big step to be considered first-round talents. Every year there's so much movement because players develop at different speeds that I don't even think Jiricek is a lock for the first round. He really has to improve his decision-making with the puck, get more consistent in his breakout passing and add some strength and aggressiveness in the D zone. But there are definitely 4-5 potential first-rounders in that group, even if 1-3 is more realistic for the actual draft.

For the forwards, I think it's especially interesting to follow the guys in the CHL. Although I really like Kral, I think he will have a very hard time in Spokane because there isn't much of a support system there. They really only have one centre right now and that's Berkly Catton. I'm sure Catton could elevate Kral's game, but Kral isn't ready for a top-line role in the league and the top line around Catton is the only thing that worked in Spokane last season.

Titlbach will be in a much better position. I don't think he's ready for top-line minutes either, but I do think given the Giants' depth, there's a path for him to get time on Honzek's wing, adjust to the league and then move to a middle-six centre role behind Honzek. Even if that doesn't happen, he'll have a lot more support than he'd have in Spokane, for example.

Curran will be in a great place with Tri-Cities too because he's a big guy who's not as skilled as Kral or Titlbach but with his size, speed and IQ, he's a perfect fit for the Americans' system and style of play. He's essentially replacing Mechura and Mechura was excellent for them because he was able to thrive in a system that doesn't require him to be able to skate or anything. It's a huge jump for Curran from the Czech U17 and second-tier U20 leagues to the WHL, but I think Tri-Cities is the perfect destination for him.

And while I didn't love Klima's game so far, I think the QMJHL and particularly Shawinigan is the perfect place for him to take the next step. He's a lot more flashy and skilled in a stickhandling sense than Kral, but has a lot of work to do to actually benefit from that skill and turn it into offensive output.

Also thanks for the note on Skok! I also have no idea what to make of him because given the chances he's already got at the pro level, that usually means there's something there. But I was completely underwhelmed every time I watched him. Good to know I have another year to form my opinion haha.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Had no idea about skok.

This draft could yield some potential NHL D and another first rounder or 2. That'd be great.

However, I had Petr as a first rounder and svozil as a first rounder too.lol. One went 3rd and one didn't get drafted.

Galvas is the one I'm most curious about... The posters here have very different views. Hope he has a good hlinka.

My guess, one year out,

Round 1 jiricek
Round 2 badinka and jecho
Round 3 galvas

Hope I'm wrong of course. Curious if the CHL gets more Czechs drafted?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

1. D Adam Jiricek

2. D Tomas Galvas

3. F Adam Jecho

4. D David Svozil

5. D Dominik Badinka

6. D Jakub Fibigr

7. F Ondrej Kos

8. F Lukas Kral

9. F Oskar Lisler

10. F Adam Titlbach

HM: F Jiri Klima, F Maxmilian Curran, F Samuel Drancak, F Lukas Hes

Edit 2: Skok isn’t eligible yet.
Great wtiteup

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks! I’ll definitely have a post-Hlinka version too. As I said in a previous post: It’s way too early for these things but I love doing them anyway haha
I love reading the different opinions. Does feel like we may have a first rounder this year and next. That could really help NT!

Jiricek this year with hopefully badinka or galas.

Benak next year... maybe.

No idea what Skok is.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Had no idea about skok.

This draft could yield some potential NHL D and another first rounder or 2. That'd be great.

However, I had Petr as a first rounder and svozil as a first rounder too.lol. One went 3rd and one didn't get drafted.

Galvas is the one I'm most curious about... The posters here have very different views. Hope he has a good hlinka.

My guess, one year out,

Round 1 jiricek
Round 2 badinka and jecho
Round 3 galvas

Hope I'm wrong of course. Curious if the CHL gets more Czechs drafted?
I only know of one user who never had a high opinion of Galvas. Not like Jecho who is really divisive lol..
It was the very user who had never seen him play. All the best not only to Galvas and all players, but also to knowledgeable users, the good man wishes..

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I only know of one user who never had a high opinion of Galvas. Not like Jecho who is really divisive lol..
It was the very user who had never seen him play. All the best not only to Galvas and all players, but also to knowledgeable users, the good man wishes..
I was and still am really high on Galvas but have a feeling that might change soon. I do think he’ll get drafted. But quite possibly in the mid-rounds.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I was and still am really high on Galvas but have a feeling that might change soon. I do think he’ll get drafted. But quite possibly in the mid-rounds.
I still think that if a player has shown the quality he has, there must still be a lot of potential in him. They are young players and their performance fluctuates. Galvas needs to get physically stronger.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I still think that if a player has shown the quality he has, there must still be a lot of potential in him. They are young players and their performance fluctuates. Galvas needs to get physically stronger.
People always default to “he needs to get stronger” and “he needs to improve defensively” with smaller players but I don’t think that’s the issue with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad