Czech prospects update thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
From the Hlinka team

Top 5-15: Sale
Early/Mid Second Round: Dvorak
Third Round: Petr, Hrabal, Koci
Fourth/Fifth Round: Felcmann, Stancl
Sixth/Seventh Round: Kucera, Sprynar
+ Dybal

Very difficult to predict when the goalkeepers will be selected but Hrabal and Dybal are very likely prospects. It will depend on their season too. Hrabal could be selected very highly next year. For me he is the best Czech prospect since... Hasek? In any case, it will be a very good year for the Czechia with Sale and Hrabal. It's close to Finland.

Don't forget the overagers too (Gut, Mechera, Tichacek, Szturc)

If the planets align, Czechia can reach and exceed the 10 selected prospects but the quality will be there no matter what when it comes to the threshold of 2 elite talents that ensure the quality of a draft class for Czech hockey.

Reactions: Czechboy

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
+ Dybal

Very difficult to predict when the goalkeepers will be selected but Hrabal and Dybal are very likely prospects. It will depend on their season too. Hrabal could be selected very highly next year. For me he is the best Czech prospect since... Hasek? In any case, it will be a very good year for the Czechia with Sale and Hrabal. It's close to Finland.

If the planets align, Czechia can reach and exceed the 10 selected prospects but the quality will be there no matter what when it comes to the threshold of 2 elite talents that ensure the quality of a draft class for Czech hockey.
Gut will back to the Czech this year, I don't think he can be drafted. Yes, there are many good prospects for Czech, but EU players have less chance to prove themself to scouts

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
+ Dybal

I think it could be another draft with an early first rounder (Sale) and then another first rounder comes out during season.

I also think we could get a bunch of guys in first 100... Hrabal, Dvorak, Petr, Stancl all seem like they could go in first few rounds. Few more drafts like this and Czech leagues cutting down and maybe there is a turn coming.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
From the Hlinka team

Top 5-15: Sale
Early/Mid Second Round: Dvorak
Third Round: Petr, Hrabal, Koci
Fourth/Fifth Round: Felcmann, Stancl
Sixth/Seventh Round: Kucera, Sprynar
Nitpick - Sale is a really good prospect, but it's hard to imagine he has any sort of realistic shot to go 5th in this draft. Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Yager, Carlsson, Benson, Dvorsky, Allen, Ritchie, Stramel, Stenberg, Danielson, Gauthier, etc. - stacked draft. I'd put Sale's range as more 8-15.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nitpick - Sale is a really good prospect, but it's hard to imagine he has any sort of realistic shot to go 5th in this draft. Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Yager, Carlsson, Benson, Dvorsky, Allen, Ritchie, Stramel, Stenberg, Danielson, Gauthier, etc. - stacked draft. I'd put Sale's range as more 8-15.
It depends how good you think Sale is.

Obviously the two wingers at the top at locks. You'd think Fantilli is probably, unless he has a bad season.

Aside from those 3, it seems pretty wide open. You included a bunch of guys in there that are already wingers or might profile as wingers, so it's not like all of them have a positional advantage either.

I don't see how Sale is demonstrably worse than all of them. You could argue he's better than a lot of them.

I could easily see him going like 12th, but I don't see how it's impossible he has a really good season and goes 5th. Thats why I say 5-15.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019
Heard some rumours about Czech 2007 born C Petr Věchet will make his debut in U18 SM-sarja this weekend. He have played in Lukko U16-team 12 games with scoring 36 (15+21) points.

Reactions: czech

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
It depends how good you think Sale is.

Obviously the two wingers at the top at locks. You'd think Fantilli is probably, unless he has a bad season.

Aside from those 3, it seems pretty wide open. You included a bunch of guys in there that are already wingers or might profile as wingers, so it's not like all of them have a positional advantage either.

I don't see how Sale is demonstrably worse than all of them. You could argue he's better than a lot of them.

I could easily see him going like 12th, but I don't see how it's impossible he has a really good season and goes 5th. Thats why I say 5-15.
You may be right - certainly seems like Craig Button is very high on Sale too, and when Button has a strong opinion on a prospect, he has a pretty good track record.

I’ve only seen him once, Czechia vs USA at the Hlinka. Thought he looked good, was especially impressed by his ability to protect the puck and counter hit for a skinny guy, but he didn’t stand out as elite to me. However, it was just one game, and apparently he was pretty dominant at some of the other Hlinka games, like vs Germany. Obviously a sample size of 1 viewing isn’t the best.

A very tough draft to go top 5, but agreed that if I’m underestimating him from that viewing, it could happen.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
You may be right - certainly seems like Craig Button is very high on Sale too, and when Button has a strong opinion on a prospect, he has a pretty good track record.

I’ve only seen him once, Czechia vs USA at the Hlinka. Thought he looked good, was especially impressed by his ability to protect the puck and counter hit for a skinny guy, but he didn’t stand out as elite to me. However, it was just one game, and apparently he was pretty dominant at some of the other Hlinka games, like vs Germany. Obviously a sample size of 1 viewing isn’t the best.

A very tough draft to go top 5, but agreed that if I’m underestimating him from that viewing, it could happen.
The 2 ranking was shocking to me and maybe Button is going for some clickbait. I do think he's a top 5 talent as he just creates so much space for people and seems to raise his linemates up when I see him. U18 and Hlinka he was pretty damn good.

Having said that.. the kid is never playing his peers. Eg. at the U18 there were only two 16 year olds in top 10 in scoring.. him and Bedard (also a 15 year old Finn D who looks to be world class was in top 20). He's currently playing in the Extraliga against men. Next time North America sees him will be as a 17 year old playing against 18 and 19 year olds.

Doesn't turn 18 till March.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The 2 ranking was shocking to me and maybe Button is going for some clickbait. I do think he's a top 5 talent as he just creates so much space for people and seems to raise his linemates up when I see him. U18 and Hlinka he was pretty damn good.

Having said that.. the kid is never playing his peers. Eg. at the U18 there were only two 16 year olds in top 10 in scoring.. him and Bedard (also a 15 year old Finn D who looks to be world class was in top 20). He's currently playing in the Extraliga against men. Next time North America sees him will be as a 17 year old playing against 18 and 19 year olds.

Doesn't turn 18 till March.
Re: the Button ranking, I honestly don’t see Button as a clickbait guy. I think his main weakness is that he mostly just watches the big international tournaments, so his rankings are very heavily based on performances there. But he’s got a legit eye for talent, and has his own strong opinions, without really caring if they’re in line with consensus.

When he feels strongly about a player, and is out of line with the consensus, his track record is pretty good. Certainly far from perfect, but his controversial takes work out better than most. If he sees high end talent in Sale that’s a strong positive sign IMO.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Here are the last 3 Czech drafts

1664656910244.png

The only guy to play an NHL game is Raska... kind of impressive from him. Everyone with NHL potential feels a year away to me.

This draft should have Sale go early, Hrabal is probably going to be a top goalie in this draft as well. Petr is hurt and his stock will drop as he may become our Tyler Benson soon.

Other guys I could see cracking the NHL at some point are Mysak, Dobes, Raska, Svozil, Malik, Kulich, Sapo and Jiricek. I may be being too optimistic. 25 guys taken and 6 goalies in that group.

Here are the Germans:

1664657143183.png

8 guys but Stutzl is a phenom! I expect reichel and Peterka to be regulars soon. 1 goalie.

Here are the Slovaks:

1664657200005.png

9 guys taken... Slaf, Nemec and Mesar seemed destined for very good things... 0 goalies

Here are the Swiss:

1664657331602.png

4 guys (no one in 2020)... Bichsel may make it and Moser is already playing in the NHL... 0 goalies

Danes are at 0 in last 3 drafts

Here is Latvia:

1664657418750.png

4 guys and I can't speak to their quality. 0 goalies.

Czechs - 25 (6 goalies)
Danes, Latvians, Germans, Swiss, Slovaks - 25 (1 goalie)

We are in such a weird spot internationally speaking... Nowhere near the Finn's, Swedes, Russians, Canucks or US but, from a numbers perspective, well ahead of our fellow non contenders.

Attachments

• 1664657076946.png
    1664657076946.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 1664657273543.png
    1664657273543.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Re: the Button ranking, I honestly don’t see Button as a clickbait guy. I think his main weakness is that he mostly just watches the big international tournaments, so his rankings are very heavily based on performances there. But he’s got a legit eye for talent, and has his own strong opinions, without really caring if they’re in line with consensus.

When he feels strongly about a player, and is out of line with the consensus, his track record is pretty good. Certainly far from perfect, but his controversial takes work out better than most. If he sees high end talent in Sale that’s a strong positive sign IMO.
I'm more excited about him than Jiricek. Everytime I watch him I love it. Let's see how it goes. Hopefully no injuries, a strong U20 (it shouldnt but it heavily affects the rankings) and I'm not sure if he can do the U18 again as turns 18 in March (probably answered my own question.lol)

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
2019-2020-2021 were horrible years for the Czechs. Maybe no skater will reach the NHL.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Not good for the Czech prospects

A - Sale and Hrabal
B - Dvorak and Martin Matejcik (no idea who this is)
C - everyone else.lol Sprnyar, Spunar, Stancl

Didn't see Zidlicky at all. Could be me though.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Not good for the Czech prospects

A - Sale and Hrabal
B - Dvorak and Martin Matejcik (no idea who this is)
C - everyone else.lol Sprnyar, Spunar, Stancl

Didn't see Zidlicky at all. Could be me though.

Wasn't Kulich a B or C at the start of last year? CSS does a horrible job, at least with the initial lists, with Europeans in general IMO, at least once you get past the "known" names.

It's also not that bad? At least they didn't do anything stupid like make Sale a "B" or something. I like (to varying degrees) all the "S-line" boys (Spryar, Spunar, Stancl) but it's not like they are amazing or anything. They or others could still move up. Same with Dvorak who may be hampered by lack of an offensive game and is much more of a 2nd/3rd rounder at this point probably? And two of the most progressive Czech 2005 this year (Badinka and Koci) are not even eligible.

So all in all - you really think this is bad? I guess Petr not being there but he seems more hype to me at this point at least at club level. He hasn't even established himself as an U20 player in Finland yet.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Wasn't Kulich a B or C at the start of last year? CSS does a horrible job, at least with the initial lists, with Europeans in general IMO, at least once you get past the "known" names.

It's also not that bad? At least they didn't do anything stupid like make Sale a "B" or something. I like (to varying degrees) all the "S-line" boys (Spryar, Spunar, Stancl) but it's not like they are amazing or anything. They or others could still move up. Same with Dvorak who may be hampered by lack of an offensive game and is much more of a 2nd/3rd rounder at this point probably? And two of the most progressive Czech 2005 this year (Badinka and Koci) are not even eligible.

So all in all - you really think this is bad? I guess Petr not being there but he seems more hype to me at this point at least at club level. He hasn't even established himself as an U20 player in Finland yet.
You're probably right.

Glad Dvorak is in the conversation for first 2 rounds. Glad Hrabal is the highest rated goalie.

I think I was hoping for more B's! I like Larry Fisher's list more.haha

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
2019-2020-2021 were horrible years for the Czechs. Maybe no skater will reach the NHL.

Depends what you consider "reach NHL". If it's 200+ games you may be right, maybe even 100+, but we never had a draft where no1 reached 75 games and I don't think it'll change.

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
Depends what you consider "reach NHL". If it's 200+ games you may be right, maybe even 100+, but we never had a draft where no1 reached 75 games and I don't think it'll change.
Actually, that doesn't change my analysis. A real NHL career is at least 10 years without forcing. The NHL is full of players who don't have the overall level and who are inferior to the best players playing in Europe. They are only there to plug a hole by exploiting a single skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad