CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I was at many games in Edmonton over that time period. I stand by my assertion of crowds in attendance/ interested in watching the team at less than 10k many times.
I will also confirm this. The team always announced tickets sold but there were definitely entire sections that were empty. Team was awful, and on those cold Tuesday nights in January, no one cared to go. Tickets were very cheap.

As soon as the 50/50 was announced (late in the third by design), the arena would empty out fairly quickly

Reactions: brentashton

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
How likely is it that this is being put out there because if/when the league tries/does take control of the team, Merulo can fight it and say the rug was pulled out from him?

Rodier was addressing that yesterday on X.

Based upon his knowledge of the NHL’s constitution and bylaws, he believes Meruelo has the leverage at this point.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Friedman's 32 Thoughts podcast starts off by discussing the Coyotes. I'm not sure when these things are recorded, but in case anyone is interested in hearing what they have to say, here you go:

My big takeaways are:

1) Muerelo is flying in to talk to the employees. If it was good news they could have sent an email.

2) The league will let Muerelo do well on the sale. So it won't be like the ASG situation. Maybe there is a relo fee but it won't be one that eliminates the possibility of making a profit.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
@KevFu At the 12 minute mark, Friedman scoffs at the notion that Yotes are cash flow positive. It's worth a listen.

Not sure why that's directed at me.... I know I said season ticket revenue was up 50% in Mullett vs Glendale because limiting supply of tickets increased demand/price (and posted the ESPN story about it).

I definitely never said Arizona was cash-flow positive. I am strongly on record as saying everyone in the Big Four is "totally fine" simply by being members of the league, and ticket sales mean very little to nothing, as proved by COVID.

The simple thing people ignore is that this isn't a game of Monopoly, where if you hit zero it's GAME OVER. Teams lose money all the time, frequently "on purpose."

I always use the Sharks as an example, because they "lost money" per Forbes for like 8 of 12 seasons, always between $1m and $8m.... but the entire time they spent over 99% of their cap space!

If they were concerned about keeping that number above zero, they wouldn't sign that last free agent each off-season. It's highly unlikely they simply "Screwed up" basic math on budget 8 times in 12 years. It's highly likely that just don't care and the owner said "go ahead and do it. I want a better team. It takes money to make money."

The Coyotes are $18.5 million in payroll over the floor. If the situation is so dire that they need to be cash-flow positive or go out of business, they'd just firesale $18.5m and get to the floor.

OR they want a better team to justify jacking up Mullett ticket prices and get momentum behind an arena, and a couple million is chump change to a billionaire.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
My big takeaways are:

1) Muerelo is flying in to talk to the employees. If it was good news they could have sent an email.

2) The league will let Muerelo do well on the sale. So it won't be like the ASG situation. Maybe there is a relo fee but it won't be one that eliminates the possibility of making a profit.

I got that impression too. I mean, if it's bad news, whether I'm on the giving or receiving end, I've always had a face-to-face (it's just more respectful that way). If it's good news, it's as simple as a faxed/emailed memo, text message, or phone call. But my experiences are not everyone's experiences, and perhaps Meruelo is doing things different? Perhaps he has to be in town for something anyway, and is just gonna swing by and schedule a meeting with team personnel? I guess we'll know in a few weeks, eh?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
How likely is it that this is being put out there because if/when the league tries/does take control of the team, Merulo can fight it and say the rug was pulled out from him?
Listening to 32 Thoughts Podcast - Friedman was saying something along the liens that the league wantxs to give AM every opportunity to try and save the franchise, so that (in my words) he can't claim that the league pulled the rug out from under him.

If the league forces a sale... franchise values have increased a lot since 2019. I have no doubt they'll make sure AM comes out okay, probably makes a slight profit for his trouble. But I also can't imagine AM going scorched earth and trying to fight the league if they go to him "you need to sell" - the risks to both sides are too high.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
No…. He didn’t.

Rodier does legal work for the PA. So he’s well versed on the NHL and the CBA and such.
I gotcha! Not trying to vet his credentials (I was an IT worker before disability), just genuinely curious as to what in the NHL constitution/bylaws gives Meruelo a leg-up, is all.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Listening to 32 Thoughts Podcast - Friedman was saying something along the liens that the league wantxs to give AM every opportunity to try and save the franchise, so that (in my words) he can't claim that the league pulled the rug out from under him.

If the league forces a sale... franchise values have increased a lot since 2019. I have no doubt they'll make sure AM comes out okay, probably makes a slight profit for his trouble. But I also can't imagine AM going scorched earth and trying to fight the league if they go to him "you need to sell" - the risks to both sides are too high.
Yes, and he also said that it’s ‘4th down’ and whatever the play is, he has to play it. We had Marty Walsh talk about how there’s no communication with players - that only happens because Bettman can only say so much, but he can.

So it makes sense that we get all kinds of movement almost immediately upon the end of all of that talk from last week. We’re now at a point where the focus is on one spot. We have a reporter saying it can be done sooner than everyone thought, citing a government source. Merulo is meeting with staff next week. They’re buying every second they can.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This podcast from Steve Peters and Craig Morgan runs over an hour, but for long time megathreaders it’s worth it. Some tidbits about previous ownerships and the entires saga, plus how they look at where things stand right now.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I gotcha! Not trying to vet his credentials (I was an IT worker before disability), just genuinely curious as to what in the NHL constitution/bylaws gives Meruelo a leg-up, is all.

If someone really wanted to dig I believe all of that was disclosed as part of the (funnily enough) Coyotes bankruptcy proceedings from 2009. Whether the Constitution/by-laws have changed since then - nobody can say for sure.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yup, though a major difference is that Forbes valuations are guesstimates of what's behind the curtain while Nielsen data is what's behind the curtain.

If you're buying a sports team you don't use Forbes #s, you want to see the actual books.

If you're buying ad spots, you want to see the Nielsen data.

If you read up on the topic the Nielsen ratings data is highly questioned by all the stakeholders, especially the broadcast networks, carriers, and advertisers paying rates based on the Nielsen data. There are a lot of articles out there covering the topic.

The stakeholders have all sort of agreed to continue using Nielsen because they don’t have a better alternative to replace it.

I would hope and expect the Nielsen ratings are more accurate than Forbes, but they still have their warts.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Something to keep in mind on the Forbes/Sportico business of hockey guesstimate: They’re estimating Operating Profits, commonly known as EBITDA in the business world. EBITDA = Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization.

It’s very common for publicly traded companies to report positive operating profits, but then a net loss once you add in the numbers excluded in EBITDA. One of the most important things excluded in many cases is paying Interest on debt.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Does anyone know a link that shows how much money PHX lost last year?
Arizona Coyotes Revisit Arena Woes With Scripps TV Deal in Hand

"As far as the arena is concerned, after the 2021-22 season, the Coyotes were ejected from playing in what is now called Desert Diamond Arena in Glendale, Ariz., over a lease dispute. Last season, the Coyotes lost in excess of $10 million playing in Mullett Arena on the campus of Arizona State, even though seats were priced high—on average, $160 a ticket. Bettman called playing in the college arena at best a short-term solution, and they have one more season beyond this one to go on their lease."

Source: www.sportico.com/leagues/hockey/2023/arizona-coyotes-scripps-tv-deal-arena-future-1234741486/

Reaser

May 19, 2021
If you read up on the topic the Nielsen ratings data is highly questioned by all the stakeholders, especially the broadcast networks, carriers, and advertisers paying rates based on the Nielsen data. There are a lot of articles out there covering the topic.

The stakeholders have all sort of agreed to continue using Nielsen because they don’t have a better alternative to replace it.

I would hope and expect the Nielsen ratings are more accurate than Forbes, but they still have their warts.

Yes, as I've said in this thread, Nielsen is the standard -- if you want to read up on more recent developments: https://www.axios.com/2024/01/23/fox-renews-multiyear-measurement-deal-nielsen

Note: The #1 in ratings/viewership in the country the NFL having zero interest in anything other than Nielsen. That alone kills any alternative options. If you don't have the NFL then you're not really in the business, especially since sports ratings/viewership is most popular and NFL is most popular (obviously) in that group.

Twas hilarious when NBCU, who has been the biggest complainer of Nielsen, hyped up all the alternatives they were/are going to use then renewed with Nielsen in the end because it's the standard and what matters in the industry.

So exactly what I said:

"Forbes valuations are guesstimates of what's behind the curtain while Nielsen data is what's behind the curtain.

If you're buying a sports team you don't use Forbes #s, you want to see the actual books.

If you're buying ad spots, you want to see the Nielsen data."

Nielsen data would be the equivalent of "the books." In other words, it's what matters. Whether anyone trusts the numbers isn't the point, the point is that it's the currency used. So regardless of when and what networks complain or when someone with an agenda (not you) wants to say ratings don't matter because they don't personally trust Nielsen numbers. That's not how the business works and this is the business section of the forum. Nielsen is what is used, that's the releveant data. Past, present and for the future until someone comes up with something better --been many attempts at 'something better' and all of them failed, or currently are in the process of failing (cost cutting/layoffs) and/or are so irrelevant that no one has ever heard of them.

Reactions: dj4aces and mouser
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad