CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Question: If there are three local interests in buying the team, that must mean there is some interest in Meruelo in selling.

Does that mean he feels pessimistic about his efforts, including his efforts toward this parcel?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fairview

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
So what's the deal with all this noise still coming from the Meruelo camp? Do they think they still have an option? Or are they desperately trying to maintain their ticket sales?

What kind of leverage does the league have to force a sale? Does the league still hold a ton of the Coyotes' debt on their line of credit?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Also, if Bettman intends to make an announcement in the next 2 weeks about the situation, it is going to be about a sale to local interests, because there is no way that he would announce a relocation this early.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Also, if Bettman intends to make an announcement in the next 2 weeks about the situation, it is going to be about a sale to local interests, because there is no way that he would announce a relocation this early.

I dunno, it would give SLC time to ramp up their marketing and upgrade their arena. It's not as if there are a lot of ticket sales to lose out at Mullett anyhow, and I doubt Bettman is too worried about Meruelo taking a haircut at this point anyhow.

The quick move to Winnipeg only really worked because everything was already in place.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Question: If there are three local interests in buying the team, that must mean there is some interest in Meruelo in selling.

Does that mean he feels pessimistic about his efforts, including his efforts toward this parcel?
The state land parcel in question...from what I heard...had not even been appraised...which would have been a necessary step before making it on the agenda...

Reactions: Fairview

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I think we tend to "read the tea leaves" based on what we want to happen.

If you consider anything short of "not having an arena deal done right now" as failure, sure. But every deal is in that same state of not being done until it is.

And the comments in the article are coming from the NHLPA, not the NHL. The NHLPA has very little power or say in an ownership matter like that. They can refuse to sign a CBA that involves members playing in Mullet, but short of going on strike... what are they gonna do?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Ignore the noise coming from the PA.

The rest of this though is important.
I’m hopeful the Meurello ownership can get their land and start the new rink soon. There is just the feeling that if they don’t get going soon the league will force a sale and move. Although I guess the nhl is in constant communication with the Coyote owners and all are aware of what needs to be done and by which dates.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Why are people buying into the whole local ownership bullshit again? Are you really that naive?
Honestly?

Sale to local ownership
Relocate to SLC
Trust Land Purchase

That’s my 3 for my batting order, or my believability list

I said it 6 years ago on here. The only way the Coyotes can survive and stay in the Valley is if the Phoenix Suns ownership (then Sarver) would buy them and bring them underneath the roof of Footprint

I can buy into Ishiba being an interested party or part of a group. Barkley? Wouldn’t be shocked either.

It’s either this or Utah man

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Honestly?

Sale to local ownership
Relocate to SLC
Trust Land Purchase

I said it 6 years ago on here. The only way the Coyotes can survive and stay in the Valley is if the Phoenix Suns ownership (then Sarver) would buy them and bring them underneath the roof of Footprint

I can buy into Ishiba being an interested party or part of a group. Barkley? Wouldn’t be shocked either.

Does the nhl want the club playing in an empty steam though?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Selling to Ishbia is very clearly the scenario to bet on here.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Yeah, if I were setting odds, a sale to Ishbia would have just become my betting favourite.

They (the NHL) has always managed to scrounge up somebody who is willing to buy the team. And considering much of the sale price these days is agreeing to take on debt, it makes a lot of sense for the NBA owner to be interested.

And maybe in the mean-time, he can re-set negotiations with Glendale, put the coyotes back there for the time being, and build a new multi-purpose arena downtown for both teams.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
didnt they recently spend money renovating the suns arena? and its not configured for hockey? Its either ishbia or salt lake.... cant believe it but its actually going to be decided in the next 2 weeks for real this time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The 2 week timeline, I’ll believe it when I see it. If they’re moving, same deal.

Ishbia is the favorite because Bettman has shown that any option possible that exists to stay in Arizona he will take. The question will be if the offer is just completely insulting and unacceptable. We heard this week about this being a ‘unique situation’ when it comes to strong arming Merulo out of the league, the same applies both ways when it comes to selling for less than the franchise value should be just to stay in the market.

We’ve heard that if they move, they will return as soon as they can. But if that was so certain we wouldn’t be here. This market has had so much trouble, how soon would you get someone willing to pay an expansion fee?

But if they’re going to move, then I would think sooner than later is better. They do not want this hanging over the end of the season and playoffs. The league went to great lengths to hide moving the Thrashers. Utah needs to get staff hired, but it is news they’re going to want to bury, and with all eyes on the NFL, it’s their best chance

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The 2 week timeline, I’ll believe it when it see it. If they’re moving, same deal.

Ishbia is the favorite because Bettman has shown that any option possible that exists to stay in Arizona he will take. The question will be if the offer is just completely insulting and unacceptable. We heard this week about this being a ‘unique situation’ when it comes to strong arming Merulo out of the league, the same applies both ways when it comes to selling for less than the franchise value should be just to stay in the market.

We’ve heard that if they move, they will return as soon as they can. But if that was so certain we wouldn’t be here. This market has had so much trouble, how soon would you get someone willing to pay an expansion fee?

But if they’re going to move, then I would think sooner than later is better. They do not want this hanging over the end of the season and playoffs. The league went to great lengths to hide moving the Thrashers. Utah needs to get staff hired, but it is news they’re going to want to bury, and with all eyes on the NFL, it’s their best chance

I will say, if you're announcing the team is gonna move, you couldn't pick a better time than this week.

NBA trade deadline and Super Bowl. This Friday is the perfect news dump day.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I will say, if you're announcing the team is gonna move, you couldn't pick a better time than this week.

On the other hand if they move the message will be emphasized as the NHL is coming Utah and less so about Arizona losing the team. Perhaps a leak could happen on a Friday followed by a denial until the deal is done.

The announcement of the Thrashers to Winnipeg happened on Tuesday morning IIRC

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

If they are moving, that’s going to be a point of personal humiliation and embarrassment for him as well, he will want as few eyes as possible on himself as well.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If they are moving, that’s going to be a point of personal humiliation and embarrassment for him as well, he will want as few eyes as possible on himself as well.
Can Meurello still be the owner if the club moves or will the league force him to sell to a new owner in the new city?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Can Meurello still be the owner if the club moves or will the league force him to sell to a new owner in the new city?
In theory he still could, but how’s he getting a building?

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think the most likely thing is a fourth option: no sale, no move, no arena and the team remains with present ownership in the current arena until further notice . . . which could be a long time away.

I can't imagine that anyone's hand will be forced at this juncture.

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
Ultimately it is better for the NHL to find a solution in Arizona than it is to move them. They really need to stay there if we want hockey to have any impact in the desert

I think the most likely thing is a fourth option: no sale, no move, no arena and the team remains with present ownership in the current arena until further notice . . . which could be a long time away.

I can't imagine that anyone's hand will be forced at this juncture.
Hands will be forced! You can count on that.
Just when that will happen, maybe two weeks.
Maybe two weeks after that? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Llama19

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Honestly?

Sale to local ownership
Relocate to SLC
Trust Land Purchase

I don’t know if Ishbia would be interested in the Coyotes. But he is much wealthier than Sarver and has the finances to make it happen if he is interested. I don’t think it was ever a realistic financial option for Sarver to purchase the Coyotes.

Is Ishbia a hockey fan? Dunno, but he is from the suburbs of Detroit, and would have grown up during the Yzerman and Russian Five Stanley Cup era.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad