CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
We’re in a stage right now where nothing will have changed until everything changes all at once. At least in what can be answered publicly by someone like Guitierrez.

In other words, if there really is a mid-season deadline then I don’t think we should be expecting any public statements to say anything until right before the deadline comes. Even if they’re close to finalizing a plan, none of the players are going to say so anytime before then.

Last edited:

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
For anyone who has SiriusXM NHL….

GM Bill Armstrong was on today and is reported to have said that the Coyotes are looking at “three really good sites” and still targeting for an announcement by the all-star break.

I don’t subscribe and this is coming off social media so YMMV.

Good hopefully they can solidify this and cement the location to keep this team there. Be good to have to stop talking about this whole situation.

Reactions: Edenjung

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Well we can say the exact same thing for all the apologists. Both sides want what they want. The only thing I know for certain is that this dog is a zombie. You can’t kill it, no matter how hard you try. Lol
The book on this should be called "Desert dogs don't die - The Phoenix Coyotes off-ice saga"

And on the "Three really good sites" I'm hesitant to believe the "really good" part of that sentance.

I bet they do have three proposed sites that are acceptable if they can put in place an arena plan. The "Really good sites" probably dried up for the Coyotes in the market when they moved to Glendale.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The book on this should be called "Desert dogs don't die - The Phoenix Coyotes off-ice saga"

And on the "Three really good sites" I'm hesitant to believe the "really good" part of that sentance.

I bet they do have three proposed sites that are acceptable if they can put in place an arena plan. The "Really good sites" probably dried up for the Coyotes in the market when they moved to Glendale.

This was their GM making the comment, who said in another interview he “doesn’t build arenas, just teams.”

These days I pretty much ignore the adjectives.

My interpretation is they have three sites in mind and are aiming for the all-star break to decide which one they want.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
This was their GM making the comment, who said in another interview he “doesn’t build arenas, just teams.”

These days I pretty much ignore the adjectives.

My interpretation is they have three sites in mind and are aiming for the all-star break to decide which one they want.

Yeah, I'll be interested to see when they narrow down to one target - We're in pretty uncharted waters when it comes to this sort of arena procurement, so I really don't want to be reading tea leaves in that sense too much.

I'd be worried if they didn't have a single-target post all-star break, but that's based on nothing but vibes.

I personally would try really hard to get a concrete plan with a single target announced ASAP to help out the fanbase, but I doubt it's that simple behind the scenes, and honestly, whatever fanbase is left after this mess is pretty immunized to these kind of shenanigans.

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Good hopefully they can solidify this and cement the location to keep this team there. Be good to have to stop talking about this whole situation.
...although, there are about 6 people here whose handles I could reel off who would lose their reason to live should that ever occur...

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
Looks like Xavier Gutierrez did confirm that the NHL gave them a midseason deadline, it was hard to hear the exact question in the video I posted earlier.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/arizo...sed-on-finalizing-new-arena-plan-by-midseason

The NHL is pushing the Coyotes organization to finalize a permanent arena plan by midseason which continues to be the goal they are striving for.

“We've talked with the NHL and that's what they've continued to push us for and we are very, very much focused on that timeline,” Gutierrez said.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Looks like Xavier Gutierrez did confirm that the NHL gave them a midseason deadline, it was hard to hear the exact question in the video I posted earlier.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/arizo...sed-on-finalizing-new-arena-plan-by-midseason

You can’t hear the question well enough to know the context but yet it’s “confirmed”.

That’s known confirmation bias.

I remember when the “absolute deadline” was the end of the calander year.

Now we’re at mid-season.

That precludes the notion that the “hard deadline” isn’t so hard, but there are some good reasons for using the all-star break as a goal to shoot for

Last edited:

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
You can’t hear the question well enough to know the context but yet it’s “confirmed”.

Now we’re at mid-season.

That precludes the notion that the “hard deadline” isn’t so hard, but there are some good reasons for using the all-star break as a goal to shoot for
The reporter who wrote the article that I linked was at the event and confirmed that the quote "We've talked with the NHL and that's what they've continued to push us for and we are very, very much focused on that timeline" which can be heard in the video I linked earlier was in response to a question about the NHL giving the Coyotes a midseason deadline. Not sure how that would be confirmation bias. Pretty sure at least since June the NHL line has been that they need to know something by midseason and it doesn't sound like that has changed.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The reporter who wrote the article that I linked was at the event and confirmed that the quote "We've talked with the NHL and that's what they've continued to push us for and we are very, very much focused on that timeline" which can be heard in the video I linked earlier was in response to a question about the NHL giving the Coyotes a midseason deadline. Not sure how that would be confirmation bias. Pretty sure at least since June the NHL line has been that they need to know something by midseason and it doesn't sound like that has changed.

This was from the same interview that you posted previously. But you didn’t manage to note this “confirmation” until after this article comes out.

BTW… It was at a media session the Coyotes had earlier this week prior to rookie camp.

But these so-called “deadlines” have been known for months. The Coyotes made it quite clear since the weeks following the Tempe vote they were looking to have something in place at the same exact timeline you’re desperately trying to prove iit’s some drop dead deadline.

I just explained above there are a few good reasons this timeline is necessary. And it’s from both a business AND optics standpoint.

But don’t think for a moment that if Alex Meruelo is still working on a specific site and hasn’t quite gotten it worked out by the all-star that the NHL is going to just say “Well that’s it” and pull the plug.

No matter how obsessed you want it to be that way.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

If you're quoting, saying "continued to push us for" doesn't sound like firm deadline, more or less something the league would prefer. But again, you could take that in any particular context you would like.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I assume it's a soft deadline, and in the sense of - "there has to be a solid plan by mid-season," not anything spicific like published drawings or something.
When it comes to ‘three really good sites,’ there’s going to be obvious momentum toward one, and we’ll almost undoubtedly know which. When I think about how arduous things like city planning are, they’re not going to go from having three possible sites to having one absolute site overnight for a project of this magnitude.

I’m also not buying a midseason deadline (Bill Daly is now on record as by the end of the calendar year) if they know they’re working at one. But at some point before then, three really good sites means you have zero actual sites.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
When it comes to ‘three really good sites,’ there’s going to be obvious momentum toward one, and we’ll almost undoubtedly know which. When I think about how arduous things like city planning are, they’re not going to go from having three possible sites to having one absolute site overnight for a project of this magnitude.

I’m also not buying a midseason deadline (Bill Daly is now on record as by the end of the calendar year) if they know they’re working at one. But at some point before then, three really good sites means you have zero actual sites.

They’ve already filed a letter of intent to purchase one property that we know of so far. That’s been well reported.

Now the GM says they have three “really good ones” they are looking at. Which is down from a half dozen of so they were at in the beginning.

So it appears (to me anyway) they are well in the process of narrowing things down.

It’s the “when” and “where” part that some seem to be stuck on.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

Now we’re at mid-season.

I mean we're talking about a multi-billion corporation not magical fairies. They aren't going to care if they are a week late finalizing a deal.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Yes I am saying that the situation hasn't changed and that is becoming a problem.

"the situation hasn't changed and that is becoming a problem" in YEAR FOURTEEN or fifteen (or been so long we don't remember) of the Arizona Coyotes saga is just the most unintentionally hilarious thing ever. Alanis should write a more literally correct song about it.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Arizona Coyotes exec leaves team for new job in pro soccer

To quote:

"Nick Sakiewicz, the chief business officer with the Arizona Coyotes, has left the team in favor of a return to his roots in soccer.

The former professional goalkeeper-turned-MLS club exec and investor is to be announced Monday as the new CEO of USL Championship club Hartford Athletic while also focusing on the growth of Global Football Group, a consultancy he launched in 2015 that focuses on helping clubs develop their player development and transfer business.

Sakiewicz had only worked for the Coyotes for about 18 months after joining the National Hockey League team in March 2022. His last day with the Coyotes was Friday. The team issued a statement saying that it will not conduct an outside search to replace Sakiewicz."

Source (Paywall): www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2023/09/18/coyotes-exec-quits-joins-soccer-team.html

Reactions: Stumbledore

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So if they decide on a site before the end of the season does this mean shovels in the ground right away or do they have to another plebiscite?

If they have to extend their stay at Mullet Arena it is really bad.

Reactions: Slashers98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad