CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
If you want to argue a sponsorship where the sponsor provides a doctor to the team constitutes a “healthcare agreement” I will concede that argument to you
What in my former profession used to be called a distinction without a difference.

Still, it beats arguing about whether a dry cold is more comfortable than a wet cold or waiting around for more indictment news.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
If you want to argue a sponsorship where the sponsor provides a doctor to the team constitutes a “healthcare agreement” I will concede that argument to you

The original post I replied to that kicked off this response chain asked

The Dignity Health deal is not a player healthcare agreement—it’s not healthcare insurance.

If Dignity Health didn‘t renew their team sponsorship for 2023-24 no AZ players healthcare insurance situation would change in any way—the players are still receiving the same Cigna NHL league-wide health insurance and access to the same levels of medical care. As Shwan points out maybe the official “team employed” doctor(s) could change with a different or no sponsor.

How teams pick their doctors could be a very interesting BoH discussion thread if anyone wants to do the research. How many teams keep long-standing doctors irrespective of sponsorships? How many teams shift primary team doctors with new sponsorships? How many teams are somewhere in the middle?
for whatever it's worth the Browns used to have a deal with the Cleveland Clinic where they were a sponsor, got signage at the stadium, and in game advertising. Players also got surgeries done at the Cleveland Clinic. Then they made a deal with another healthcare system in town (University Hospitals) and everything shifted over there. That being said I don't know if team physicians (i.e the ones who work at the team facility and are listed in the team media guide) are employed by the health system or the team.

Reactions: mouser

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
I don't know if team physicians (i.e the ones who work at the team facility and are listed in the team media guide) are employed by the health system or the team.

They're usually contracted by the team but still maintain their normal medical employment.

For the Coyotes this is individuals like the aforementioned Dr. Tokish of the Mayo Clinic and then there's Dignity health MD's Dr. Kareem Shaarawy listed as the team's Primary Care/Sports Medicine and Dr. Jeffery Edelstein listed as one of the team's Ophthalmologists.

It's hard to track though. A lot of the people listed by the Coyotes don't mention their affiliation with the team and then there's instances like the team's other listed PCP, Dr. Luberto, who ended his Tenure with the team two years ago but still keeps being listed on the team's media guides and website for whatever reason. (PDF download link).

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
There's an element of truth to the concept, because a humid 0F is way worse than like -10F and dry...but when it's -40 or less (which is not uncommon in Manitoba) it really doesn't matter because the intensity of the cold is just overpowering.

In defence of my hometown -40c is actually uncommon in Manitoba. Not unheard of - it can go that low - but more like only once or twice in a winter.

I suspect +40c in Phoenix is much more common than -40c in Winnipeg.

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
In defence of my hometown -40c is actually uncommon in Manitoba. Not unheard of - it can go that low - but more like only once or twice in a winter.

I suspect +40c in Phoenix is much more common than -40c in Winnipeg.
I have only experienced -50C once. It was in Thompson, Manitoba when I was 27. During the day it was fine but at night time I had to gtf home.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I have only experienced -50C once. It was in Thompson, Manitoba when I was 27. During the day it was fine but at night time I had to gtf home.
It hit -50 once in northern Alberta. It was so cold the seal on my tire broke, going flat. Trying to change a tire in -50c was excruciating - no mater how warmly I dressed I could only handle about 5 minutes outside before going back in to warm up (thankfully this happened while parked outside my home). I then had to drive up to High Level AB in the far north of Alberta in the -50c - I was pretty sure if my car died I was dead. And that was straight -50c, no "feels like" windchill crap.

Reactions: Primary Assist

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
It hit -50 once in northern Alberta. It was so cold the seal on my tire broke, going flat. Trying to change a tire in -50c was excruciating - no mater how warmly I dressed I could only handle about 5 minutes outside before going back in to warm up (thankfully this happened while parked outside my home). I then had to drive up to High Level AB in the far north of Alberta in the -50c - I was pretty sure if my car died I was dead. And that was straight -50c, no "feels like" windchill crap.
Yup. There is no way to dress for -50C.

You can't even start a diesel vehicle in those temperatures without a block heater. The science station at the South Pole Station, where temperatures of -90F or less in the winter are the norm, has to run generators using a special jet fuel.

Last edited:

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Sorry I missed all the chit chat about stuff I've debated countless time since 2009 and the weather in Phoenix and Winnipeg

Here's some actual news....... maybe.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Craig Morgan adding what he knows.....

The LOI on the Mesa site isn't that dramatic, IMO. But it's showing there is movement going on.

Up until now the only thing I had heard was there could be some news out of the Coyotes this September.

Coyotes social media hinted at some "big news this week" earlier this evening but outside of another rick roll I'm not expecting much.

Reactions: Jagged Ice

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
The Coyotes will still need to go through the City Council/Zoning Commission to get approval, yes?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Craig Morgan adding what he knows.....

The LOI on the Mesa site isn't that dramatic, IMO. But it's showing there is movement going on.

Up until now the only thing I had heard was there could be some news out of the Coyotes this September.

Coyotes social media hinted at some "big news this week" earlier this evening but outside of another rick roll I'm not expecting much.

Is Mesa a good location for the fans to get to games?

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
I'm sure this news crumb has nothing to do with the minority owner getting a trial date for beating his wife.

Screenshot_20230808-235742.jpg

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Isn't Mesa sort of the same problem as Glendale? Not central enough to catch fans across the metro Phoenix area?

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Is Mesa a good location for the fans to get to games?
It's close to Scottsdale, but is a bit of a hike for the rest of the Phoenix area (Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, etc.). Also, Mesa business is heavily controlled by Mormons. So Meruelo will have to contend with that.

Reactions: Voight

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
Isn't Mesa sort of the same problem as Glendale? Not central enough to catch fans across the metro Phoenix area?

Even if the team pushes it to central/east Mesa If the team doesn't suck there's enough rich white families to support the team.

Mesa is 500k
Gilbert is 275k
Chandler is 279k
Queen Creek + San Tan Valley is ~160k

These numbers are comparable to plenty of other cities before you add in the Scottsdale/Tempe/Phoenix portion that would make the same drive they did to Glendale.

With how bad the market is and how much building is going on in East Mesa due to the technology corridor (Google, Meta and Apple will have huge data centers right next to each other by 2025) I really wouldn't be too surprised if this parcel is a little ways down in Mesa rather than somewhere close to the 101/202 exchange.

Gotta follow the money.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
At this point it's just desperate and sad. A letter of intent to purchase land, that I'm assuming isn't enforceable, with public announcements that they're still looking at other possible locations. I don't think it has anything to do with the Barroway stuff because the Barroway stuff is inconsequential to all of this.

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
At this point it's just desperate and sad. A letter of intent to purchase land, that I'm assuming isn't enforceable, with public announcements that they're still looking at other possible locations. I don't think it has anything to do with the Barroway stuff because the Barroway stuff is inconsequential to all of this.
At this point, holding onto this petty grudge and continuing to spin everything as negative is desperate and sad.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Is it common to have an announcement of a letter of intent....which are mostly non binding..... where both the plot of land and the seller are still unknown?

In addition that fact the team is planning on looking other parcels doesn't seem to think they'll have much locked down by mid season....but gotta have plan Ds, Es and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad