CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Where I come from it's illegal to shoot ducks that aren't flying, although I suppose a bird that has a lame leg could still fly, assuming it's strong enough to take off...
I don't think we can shoot ducks that aren't flying here either tbh.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Perhaps. But in Manitoba, on even the worst horribly cold days, I can put on enough clothes and accessories that I can be comfortable outdoors for an hour and in an emergency I could survive for several hours before succumbing to the cold.

In Phoenix, on a really hot day, I can't remove enough clothes to be comfortable outdoors for even a few minutes. (Removing everything wouldn't help, but the police car will be air conditioned.) And no matter what I wear/don't wear in Phoenix, if I stayed out in the heat for even a few hours I would be dead.

So really your flip-the-seasons approach doesn't work at all.

I literally have this same argument with my wife on a weekly basis. She grew up in the Middle East and had been living in Qatar for 12 years before we were married. I grew up in North America and since outside of 3 years as a kid in Miami, I have lived in Toronto, New York, and Cleveland all cold weather cities. This argument will literally never end until climate change is in full effect.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I literally have this same argument with my wife on a weekly basis. This argument will literally never end until climate change is in full effect.
It might end when we get some concrete news about the Coyotes, hopefully something that makes Bettman squirm and reveal him for the odious little weasel that he is.

Reactions: Voight and Fairview

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
How this thread went from talking about a lame duck season in Phoenix to 'when I was a kid we walked to school four miles in the snow uphill both ways...' well, that is a summer HFBoards mystery.
Well, actually, now that you mention it, kids in our neighborhood living on the East side of school would walk to school backwards and walk home forwards. Kids living on the West side would do the opposite. If you're from Winnipeg, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
In Phoenix you stay inside all summer and enjoy the winter outdoors; take your walks after dark, and if it starts to rain you sprint outside!
I literally did that last night. Pretty impressive light show, too.

Also, say what you will, but we do have ice rinks here, and there is no better hobby when its 110+ out than going into a 55 degree air temp rink for beer league. Followed by the beer.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I literally did that last night. Pretty impressive light show, too.

Also, say what you will, but we do have ice rinks here, and there is no better hobby when its 110+ out than going into a 55 degree air temp rink for beer league. Followed by the beer.
The important phrase being: "Followed by the beer".

Reactions: Summer Rose

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
The damp cold in Toronto is much worse than the dry cold in Winnipeg.

The dampness goes right through you.

On the prairies you need to dress properly to be sure, but if you layer-up and protect yourself from the wind (including your face, mouth and nose) its all good.
I’ve lived in Winnipeg for 37 of my 43 years on this earth….you keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better…

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Arizona Coyotes extend Dignity Health sponsorship despite arena uncertainty

To quote:

"The Coyotes and Dignity Health recently announced a one-year partnership extension through the 2023-2024 season that continues Dignity Health's standing as the team's official health care provider. Financial details weren't provided.

A Dignity Health spokeswoman told the Business Journal that there was no discussion of extending the partnership beyond next season."

Source (Paywall): www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2023/07/31/arizona-coyotes-dignity-health-sponorship.html

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I’ve lived in Winnipeg for 37 of my 43 years on this earth….you keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better…
There's an element of truth to the concept, because a humid 0F is way worse than like -10F and dry...but when it's -40 or less (which is not uncommon in Manitoba) it really doesn't matter because the intensity of the cold is just overpowering.

Reactions: oknazevad

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's an element of truth to the concept, because a humid 0F is way worse than like -10F and dry...but when it's -40 or less (which is not uncommon in Manitoba) it really doesn't matter because the intensity of the cold is just overpowering.
After a certain point, misery is misery, it's just a matter of type and degree. Some people dislike one version less, others the other, but nobody's happy in either set of conditions.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Arizona Coyotes extend Dignity Health sponsorship despite arena uncertainty

To quote:

"The Coyotes and Dignity Health recently announced a one-year partnership extension through the 2023-2024 season that continues Dignity Health's standing as the team's official health care provider. Financial details weren't provided.

A Dignity Health spokeswoman told the Business Journal that there was no discussion of extending the partnership beyond next season."

Source (Paywall): www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2023/07/31/arizona-coyotes-dignity-health-sponorship.html
Do most teams only go one year at a time with their healthcare agreements?

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I had this funny image in my head of Meruelo on the phone with a COBRA administrator and saying "we aren't giving you one more f***ing cent to operate our health care plan"

• Haha
Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
It’s a sponsorship deal. Not a healthcare agreement.

No, it's a healthcare agreement.

(SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – July 19, 2023) – The Arizona Coyotes and Dignity Health announced today a season-long partnership extension that includes Dignity Health becoming the official health care provider of the Arizona Coyotes. As part of the agreement, Dignity Health will provide medical care for Coyotes players throughout the 2023-24 NHL season. Dignity Health is part of CommonSpirit Health.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Dignity Health is a network of hospitals, not a healthcare insurance provider. The “provide medical care for Coyotes players” is a marketing blurb as part of the sponsorship. They provide medical care for everyone at their hospitals.

To the best of my knowledge the NHL has employed Cigna to run the league-wide player health insurance program since 1998. Players and family can use any hospitals or medical providers covered by the NHL Cigna program. The Arizona players have no healthcare agreements with Dignity Health, nor requirements to use Dignity Health medical facilities.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
Dignity Health is an organization of hospitals, not a medical insurance provider. The “provide medical care for Coyotes players” is a marketing blurb as part of the sponsorship. They provide medical care for everyone at their hospitals.

To the best of my knowledge the NHL has employed Cigna to run the league-wide player health insurance program since 1998. Players and family can use any hospitals or medical providers covered by the NHL Cigna program. The Arizona players have no healthcare agreements with Dignity Health, nor requirements to use Dignity Health medical facilities.

"Dignity Health will provide medical care for Coyotes players throughout the 2023-24 NHL season"

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Most NHL teams have “official team healthcare provider” sponsors.

That doesn’t mean the sponsor is actually the healthcare provider for the team members. It‘s all about marketing.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
The “provide medical care for Coyotes players” is a marketing blurb as part of the sponsorship. Not a healthcare agreement.

Right, like when the Mayo Clinic had the same agreement and they sent one of their head orthopedic surgeons with the team to the bubble to fulfill that agreement.

Totally a marketing blurb bro.

The 2020 Stanley Cup playoffs are something John Tokish, M.D., Orthopedic Surgery, won't soon forget. As the Arizona Coyotes' head orthopedic physician, he was embedded with the team in Edmonton, Alberta, one of two cities the NHL had designated as COVD-19 bubbles.

Here's that world famous "Trust me bro" sourcing again :laugh:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Right, like when the Mayo Clinic had the same agreement and they sent one of their head orthopedic surgeons with the team to the bubble to fulfill that agreement.

Totally a marketing blurb bro.

Here's that world famous "Trust me bro" sourcing again :laugh:

If you want to argue a sponsorship where the sponsor provides a doctor to the team constitutes a “healthcare agreement” I will concede that argument to you

The original post I replied to that kicked off this response chain asked

The Dignity Health deal is not a player healthcare agreement—it’s not healthcare insurance.

If Dignity Health didn‘t renew their team sponsorship for 2023-24 no AZ players healthcare insurance situation would change in any way—the players are still receiving the same Cigna NHL league-wide health insurance and access to the same levels of medical care. As Shwan points out maybe the official “team employed” doctor(s) could change with a different or no sponsor.

How teams pick their doctors could be a very interesting BoH discussion thread if anyone wants to do the research. How many teams keep long-standing doctors irrespective of sponsorships? How many teams shift primary team doctors with new sponsorships? How many teams are somewhere in the middle?

Reactions: Fatass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad