CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Haven't followed this in a minute. Has there been some development or are we looking at a lame-duck year before a move?
Team is supposedly looking at other options in the East Valley. The NHL has alluded to something needing to be firmed up by Januaryish or they will have took at other options. So you're probably looking at a lame-duck half year.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Team is supposedly looking at other options in the East Valley. The NHL has alluded to something needing to be firmed up by Januaryish or they will have took at other options. So you're probably looking at a lame-duck half year.

Damn.

So no concrete options yet? Between the time that has elapse and Meruelo's reputation, I can't imagine it works out but who knows. The Coyotes just feel a like a dead brand at this point.

NHL should give it another look with another franchise at some point.

Reactions: Slashers98

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Why half year? There is no plan for the near future now and there won't be any in six months.

Reactions: Voight and Fairview

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Why half year? There is no plan for the near future now and there won't be any in six months.
How can you say that when the team has been very clear they have many potential arena plans in the mystery box.

instagram_967d7f69-6556-4e1f-9c53-8009f5147d39.jpg

Coyotes tickets on sale now - "we don't currently have a TV deal, so you better come to the games!"

On a serious note, It won't be a true lame duck year until at least January, even if it does become a lame duck year, which I am not convinced of.

We could be in a "mystery box arena deal" Era for a few years. Constantly hearing about vague plans while not getting much in the way of concrete details - the agreement with ASU is locked in for a few more years.

There definitely was a shift from league messaging after the Tempe vote failed, but as long as local ownership wants to make a go of it, they'll play out the string in Phoenix - and as we've been over before, if SLC (arena), Houston (owner) and Quebec (NHL BoG concerns) aren't landing spots, then there isn't a market for them to even relocate to anyways.

The more I think about it, the more "mystery box" is a fitting moniker for this part of the saga - maybe in the end ownership pulls an arena deal out of the box, but until then we'll be hearing about goofy and random plans across Phoenix that could potentially be in the box. (We heard rumors about the team looking at buying an ISLAND)

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
How can you say that when the team has been very clear they have many potential arena plans in the mystery box.

View attachment 730563

Coyotes tickets on sale now - "we don't currently have a TV deal, so you better come to the games!"

On a serious note, It won't be a true lame duck year until at least January, even if it does become a lame duck year, which I am not convinced of.

We could be in a "mystery box arena deal" Era for a few years. Constantly hearing about vague plans while not getting much in the way of concrete details - the agreement with ASU is locked in for a few more years.

There definitely was a shift from league messaging after the Tempe vote failed, but as long as local ownership wants to make a go of it, they'll play out the string in Phoenix - and as we've been over before, if SLC (arena), Houston (owner) and Quebec (NHL BoG concerns) aren't landing spots, then there isn't a market for them to even relocate to anyways.

The more I think about it, the more "mystery box" is a fitting moniker for this part of the saga - maybe in the end ownership pulls an arena deal out of the box, but until then we'll be hearing about goofy and random plans across Phoenix that could potentially be in the box. (We heard rumors about the team looking at buying an ISLAND)
Can a club like the Coyotes qualify for a “lame duck” year? Imo a lame duck year is s club that has a lot of support in their current market but have a plan in place to move anyway. It’s more like the vast majority of people where the Coyotes are don’t even know the team exists or don’t care.

Reactions: ColinM and Fairview

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Prolly hard to think about hockey in the midst of crippling heat.
Yeah, I'm home after spending 6 days in Phoenix to try and sell some properties and after awhile it's hard to think about anything except the heat. It's a strange mental adjustment knowing just how easily I can perish if I don't find air conditioning and after awhile it preys on your mind.

When folks demand to know what progress is being made with the Coyotes I find myself thinking, "Are you crazy, asking that when it's so hot down there?"

Reactions: Ciao

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

Well I just mean that in that for a half year they can keep playing the "we're not going anywhere card" but then if it gets to January and they don't have anything on the table in AZ and get sold or sign a deal to move then the rest of the year will officially be a lame duck year. So it would be more along the lines of the old Cleveland Browns announcing in the middle of the 1995 season that they were leaving as opposed to the Oakland Raiders doing it years in advance

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, I'm home after spending 6 days in Phoenix to try and sell some properties and after awhile it's hard to think about anything except the heat. It's a strange mental adjustment knowing just how easily I can perish if I don't find air conditioning and after awhile it preys on your mind.

When folks demand to know what progress is being made with the Coyotes I find myself thinking, "Are you crazy, asking that when it's so hot down there?"
I remember moving back to Winnipeg in August 1970 during a humid heatwave when almost no one including our family, had air conditioning. We took our meals in the basement the coolest place we could find. I know Arizona is at a completely different level of heat, but I get the idea.

Reactions: Stumbledore

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Damn.

So no concrete options yet? Between the time that has elapse and Meruelo's reputation, I can't imagine it works out but who knows. The Coyotes just feel a like a dead brand at this point.

NHL should give it another look with another franchise at some point.
I'm glad you brought up Meruelo's reputation. Earlier in this thread I brought up him essentially hiding from the media and making Gutierrez as the face of the team is a mistake. If people think you're shady and you just hide you're not doing yourself any favors.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I remember moving back to Winnipeg in August 1970 during a humid heatwave when almost no one including our family, had air conditioning. We took our meals in the basement the coolest place we could find. I know Arizona is at a completely different level of heat, but I get the idea.
I'm convinced that the entire world's population of insects has a get-together in Manitoba every summer.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans

Phoenix weather is the exact inverse of everything you learn about weather growing up...
- Stay inside all winter and enjoy the summer outdoors; Go for a walk before it gets dark; if it starts to rain, sprint inside.

In Phoenix you stay inside all summer and enjoy the winter outdoors; take your walks after dark, and if it starts to rain you spring outside!

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Phoenix weather is the exact inverse of everything you learn about weather growing up...
- Stay inside all winter and enjoy the summer outdoors; Go for a walk before it gets dark; if it starts to rain, sprint inside.

In Phoenix you stay inside all summer and enjoy the winter outdoors; take your walks after dark, and if it starts to rain you spring outside!
Perhaps. But in Manitoba, on even the worst horribly cold days, I can put on enough clothes and accessories that I can be comfortable outdoors for an hour and in an emergency I could survive for several hours before succumbing to the cold.

In Phoenix, on a really hot day, I can't remove enough clothes to be comfortable outdoors for even a few minutes. (Removing everything wouldn't help, but the police car will be air conditioned.) And no matter what I wear/don't wear in Phoenix, if I stayed out in the heat for even a few hours I would be dead.

So really your flip-the-seasons approach doesn't work at all.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Perhaps. But in Manitoba, on even the worst horribly cold days, I can put on enough clothes and accessories that I can be comfortable outdoors for an hour and in an emergency I could survive for several hours before succumbing to the cold.

In Phoenix, on a really hot day, I can't remove enough clothes to be comfortable outdoors for even a few minutes. (Removing everything wouldn't help, but the police car will be air conditioned.) And no matter what I wear/don't wear in Phoenix, if I stayed out in the heat for even a few hours I would be dead.

So really your flip-the-seasons approach doesn't work at all.
The damp cold in Toronto is much worse than the dry cold in Winnipeg.

The dampness goes right through you.

On the prairies you need to dress properly to be sure, but if you layer-up and protect yourself from the wind (including your face, mouth and nose) its all good.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
How this thread went from talking about a lame duck season in Phoenix to 'when I was a kid we walked to school four miles in the snow uphill both ways...' well, that is a summer HFBoards mystery.

Well lame duck might be hunted in places like Manitoba (or Minnesota) in bad weather in late fall. Since we get there, it's a natural step to talk about mosquitos, who also thrive in the same kind of places where ducks are hunted....

(How's that for a try at linking.....?)

• Love

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Well lame duck might be hunted in places like Manitoba (or Minnesota) in bad weather in late fall. Since we get there, it's a natural step to talk about mosquitos, who also thrive in the same kind of places where ducks are hunted....

(How's that for a try at linking.....?)
Where I come from it's illegal to shoot ducks that aren't flying, although I suppose a bird that has a lame leg could still fly, assuming it's strong enough to take off...

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad