CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Once America West/US Airways/Talking Stick/Footprint was built with just a basketball configuration it didn't make sense for the Suns to own the Coyotes. Just like any Islanders/Nets cooperation was doomed when Barclays was redesigned to be awful for hockey. Footprint is a little over 30 years old the lease is now running through 2037 so maybe in 10 years when it's time to replace it. It might be easier to get funding if it means bringing hockey back to the desert.

Not only that, but the DBacks are actively pursuing a new stadium now...

which means if they vacate Chase Field, the Chase Field location becomes perfect for a new Suns/NHL arena. It's 500 feet from the current NBA arena, with a footprint (no pun intended) twice as big.

Reactions: Stumbledore

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

which means if they vacate Chase Field, the Chase Field location becomes perfect for a new Suns/NHL arena. It's 500 feet from the current NBA arena, with a footprint (no pun intended) twice as big.

Just put a giant solar dome over Salt River Fields and call it a day. That field is better than Chase anyways. Next issue!

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

I can't see DBacks vacating Chase Field any time soon. They are talking about new stadium, but ehhh. Hard to see anyone in Arizona ponying up money for new stadium.

MayDayMayDay

F****** Pheasants!
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I feel like everything we hear in the media indicates that the DBacks first and second choice is to renovate Chase. Mike Hazen was on the radio some time ago and said as much. The players like it, and the majority of fans I have talked to who have been there more than me (only been there twice) talk about it having great sightlines, solid food, etc. It's not a bad place to catch a game. BUT... it needs some TLC... infrastructure upgrades, fresh coats of paint, and then some. It was state of the art when it opened, but stadium science has come a long way since then, and it's fallen behind the curve.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I personally love Chase. They just built it too damned big capacity wise and not enough "Stuff" on the points of sale side.

I also chuckled when the team was clamoring about how the roof. They're complaining it's broken and needs repairs because "We can't open/close it when there's people in the bowl/field!"

It reminded me of Mitch Hedberg's escalator joke: So you can only opening it in the morning to give the grass some sun, and have to close it before everyone shows up so it's nice and cool with AC at 6 pm? That doesn't SOUND broken. That sounds like "The Plan" from like May through September!

Our apologies for the convenience.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I personally love Chase. They just built it too damned big capacity wise and not enough "Stuff" on the points of sale side.

I also chuckled when the team was clamoring about how the roof. They're complaining it's broken and needs repairs because "We can't open/close it when there's people in the bowl/field!"

It reminded me of Mitch Hedberg's escalator joke: So you can only opening it in the morning to give the grass some sun, and have to close it before everyone shows up so it's nice and cool with AC at 6 pm? That doesn't SOUND broken. That sounds like "The Plan" from like May through September!

Back when Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling were the 1-2 guys in the rotation they were selling out the original 50k+ configuration.

Seats towards the outfield were too narrow for my tastes and there hasn’t been the demand since. So it makes sense to cut the capacity down some.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
If there is a bidding war, what are people's thoughts on Meruelo's max bid considering the $68.5 million starting point? My guess is he won't go above $95 million.

Reactions: Llama19

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012

Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
All of this is true, but:

4. Banks will take a much longer look before lending hundreds of millions of dollars of a construction loan on a land in floodplain (especially in a tight economy where the banks are already under a ton of scrutiny for the amount of commercial RE lending they've done).

It will depend on the actual designation of the floodplain.

I will remind you though TED involved the shoring up of an active man-made lake the arena would be built next to and Meruelo had his financing for Phase 1 locked up.

For perspective: It's the same floodplain the Mayo Clinic Hospital, Scottsdale Princess Resort, and hundreds of houses in multiple developments have been built.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
For perspective: It's the same floodplain the Mayo Clinic Hospital, Scottsdale Princess Resort, and hundreds of houses in multiple developments have been built.
And countless other developments. No question. But I’ll bet a lot of them took longer as banks scrutinized the loans. In no way am I saying that he won’t get the loan.. just stating that it’s a possibility that additional delays can come from floodplain. Just like an iffy environmental report. Or unexpected easments.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I have absolutely nothing to back this up but my gut feeling is that they win this bid.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
So once the meeting happens we should start a new thread. We can call it "Is THIS the final countdown in Arizona" or "The final final countdown"

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Back when Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling were the 1-2 guys in the rotation they were selling out the original 50k+ configuration.

Seats towards the outfield were too narrow for my tastes and there hasn’t been the demand since. So it makes sense to cut the capacity down some.
Even the Yankees have scaled down from 50K. No one can fill that anymore.

How about...CXLVIII - Going Once, Going Twice...
I feel we need to incorporate the timeline. "Two months (not weeks) to go". Or "4 Two Weeks to go"

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
To be clear, that's what I'm saying. IF the auction is set for late May or early June, everyone out that way seems pretty confident Muerlo will win the auction. I haven't seen or heard much about another interested parties, anyway.

Now, those other obstacles that have been talked about may take longer than a year to negotiate, but if they get the land they need to get the process started, I'm sure the NHL will be a little patient with the rest, no?

Another 2 weeks, then ?

• Haha
Reactions: GreenHornet

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA

Attachments

• chefs_kiss_2.jpg
    chefs_kiss_2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 3

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Just for those that may want to virtually attend the State Land meeting at 9am Arizona/Pacific time...

The meeting will also be held in virtual and telephonic formats. Members of the public may participate virtually and telephonically. Board Members and members of the public can access the meeting telephonically by dialing 1-443-671-4708 followed by the meeting pin- 938 734 741# or virtually, by video conferencing by typing in the following link: meet.google.com/jrg-evxe-yrw.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

PHNX Sports’ Craig Morgan reported the land the Coyotes are hoping to purchase for a new arena is on the agenda for Thursday’s meeting of the The Arizona State Land Department. Any public posting must last at least 10 weeks prior to the auction itself, and a couple of sources have indicated the bidding may not occur until June.

That’s an…extremely tight schedule to codify things for 2024-25. There is zero room for error.

It’s impossible to believe the NHL isn’t working on some kind of parallel plan (Utah), in case owner Alex Meruelo doesn’t win the auction. Or something goes awry. Or, the league decides it can’t wait that long.

Is it always this hard to build an arena?
Not really if you have the money, are a good businessman/not shady, or not trying to gauge/screw over the government. Not all apply to the current owner but various combinations can apply to different ownership groups.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Is it always this hard to build an arena?
So long as the land is acquired, the zoning is right, and (if necessary) the voters approve, it's really not super difficult. A prospective ownership groups here in Atlanta is apparently in the process of grading the land to construct "The Gathering" development. But I think this is also very much in the ballpark of "best case scenario".

What's difficult is overcoming the variables associated with all this. Meruelo could only really get the land he wanted by going through this process, and if he's successful in winning the land auction, he still has other hurdles to clear. This would be an example of a worst case scenario, and even then, they still might fall short. The ownership might be confident they'll win the auction, but they were also confident they'd win the Tempe vote.

Reactions: zeeto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad