CXLI - UPDATE 1/27 - Coyotes working on deal to play at 5,000-seat arena at ASU

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
No it is not the NHL. is ranked 5th out of all the major sports leagues in popularity & economics yes I have included the MLS even they are doing better than the NHL. also the coyotes losses have to be in the billions & have not made a dime since there first season not to mention they have done nothing to grow the game in there 25 years in Arizona in fact how many NHL. players have come out of Arizona in 25 years grand total of 1 that is it that is not growing the game .
MLS doing better than NHL? Boy you must be smoking some crack. MLS can’t touch NHL.

Reactions: Spydey629

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
No it is not the NHL. is ranked 5th out of all the major sports leagues in popularity & economics yes I have included the MLS even they are doing better than the NHL. also the coyotes losses have to be in the billions & have not made a dime since there first season not to mention they have done nothing to grow the game in there 25 years in Arizona in fact how many NHL. players have come out of Arizona in 25 years grand total of 1 that is it that is not growing the game .

USA Hockey would like a word once they stop laughing.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Billions is just hyperbole.

We know the team was losing up to $50 million per year (from the bankruptcy proceedings). It's probably losing less money now with revenue sharing. But that doesn't add up to billions of dollars. And it has to be offset against the increase in value of the team over time.

By the way in the bankruptcy it was revealed that the team only had 5,400 season ticket holders. So a 5,000 seat arena starts to make more sense...

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
:laugh: You must be far removed from Arizona. The game is growing by leaps and bounds, since the arrival of the Coyotes.
As for NHL players from Arizona: The one you are most likely thinking of grew up here, but was not born here. Sean Couturier, Mathew Tkachuk, Ty Conklin, Jess Yionen and Jim Brown were born here and have NHL games played. Others have lived here and gone onto the NHL, such as Tage Thompson and Austin Mathews.
You Sir are ignorant of the facts, but it is my pleasure to enlighten you.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
I don’t agree with that but it’s certainly not your worst take.

MLS will be gone in 10-15 years, if not sooner. Globalization will be slowed/stopped and the middle class will stop being degraded. AKA Hockey will grow faster.

This isn't a political position and I'm not saying that's/good/bad/other, I'm simply saying what's going to happen.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
MLS will be gone in 10-15 years, if not sooner. Globalization will be slowed/stopped and the middle class will stop being degraded. AKA Hockey will grow faster.

This isn't a political position and I'm not saying that's/good/bad/other, I'm simply saying what's going to happen.

MLS isn't going to go poof and fold but can we stick with the coyotes and not get on some anti MLS nonsense.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Chargers did that in the NFL....they seem to be doing just fine now, as well as the league itself.

The NFL doesn't need gate revenue as much as the NHL does. That's why they were able to play 2020 with little no fans in most of the stadiums and still make money.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Did I miss something...?

I thought I saw something somewhere that said there was a clause that said the ASU arena idea is only happening if there is a 'for sure" with Tempe on a new arena.

Can anyone verify that? In other words, if there is no deal with Tempe, this is off also.....

??

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The NFL doesn't need gate revenue as much as the NHL does. That's why they were able to play 2020 with little no fans in most of the stadiums and still make money.

It's still a valid point. Chargers paid a massive amount of money on top of moving into a facility they had to be a tenant in. The league did provide some support but in the end it still came out of Dean Spano's pocket.

NHL has been moving away from being gate driven for some time now.

People keep wondering why the other owners keep doing this. The answer would be maybe they know their situation a lot better than Joe Fan?

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Is this new venue fit with all the space needed for home and away tv/radio broadcast, press box, camera set up, scouting.....

but hey with 5000 seats they may finally sell out a few games per season

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016

Possibly the worst take I’ve ever seen in this forum.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
It's not that silly. The Sharks played their first two seasons at the Cow Palace, which didn't seat much more than 10,000/

10 000 is TWICE the size of 5 000.

I am willing to say a 10 000 seat temporary arena is indeed ok for a few years... but 5000 certainly isn't. That's almost a "Kraft Hockeyville contest" arena size!

It's a mid-sized JUNIOR hockey arena!

Reactions: Llama19

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Did I miss something...?

I thought I saw something somewhere that said there was a clause that said the ASU arena idea is only happening if there is a 'for sure" with Tempe on a new arena.

Can anyone verify that? In other words, if there is no deal with Tempe, this is off also.....

??

I haven't seen anything yet..... I would imagine it's a presumption that they aren't going to do this if the Tempe proposal does not go through.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
It would make sense to me that the Tempe arrangements are contingent on a yes vote from Tempe to at least award the contract.

IIRC all temporary building situations, the permanent one was either under construction or at least had early approvals.

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
The Calgary Flames had to play their first three seasons in the Corral, an older arena with 7,000 spectators including standing room on the concourse. This was while waiting for the Saddledome being built.

Different times (they charged around $20 a seat at the time if I recall) but they had to do what they had to do.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Statement from ASU.....

The keyword is "IF" though, right? The deal hasn't gone through. They could say no and then that's it. Game over. Everything hinges on this deal. lol.

:laugh: You must be far removed from Arizona. The game is growing by leaps and bounds, since the arrival of the Coyotes.
As for NHL players from Arizona: The one you are most likely thinking of grew up here, but was not born here. Sean Couturier, Mathew Tkachuk, Ty Conklin, Jess Yionen and Jim Brown were born here and have NHL games played. Others have lived here and gone onto the NHL, such as Tage Thompson and Austin Mathews.
You Sir are ignorant of the facts, but it is my pleasure to enlighten you.

The game has grown obviously but it's still not enough. The Coyotes will never make a profit even if this arena is built. They will continue to have to rely on the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llama19

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I’m genuinely shocked they’re going to play years in a 5000 seat arena. I would have thought there was a $ amount that could be reached with Glendale that would have made far more sense. This is serious bush league stuff.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The keyword is "IF" though, right? The deal hasn't gone through. They could say no and then that's it. Game over. Everything hinges on this deal. lol.

ASU is a temporary means until they get can their proposal done. Whether it be Tempe or another site that was in the works but Tempe was was the first choice. They're expecting to take at least three years. The arena they play in now was built in 18 months. So they have room to work with.

The game has grown obviously but it's still not enough. The Coyotes will never make a profit even if this arena is built. They will continue to have to rely on the NHL.

You realize there is more than an arena to this, right?? Meruelo is looking to building an entire multi-use district for which he will own and control. He can lose money with the Coyotes and still be ahead overall since the arena and everything around it will generate income for him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’m genuinely shocked they’re going to play years in a 5000 seat arena. I would have thought there was a $ amount that could be reached with Glendale that would have made far more sense. This is serious bush league stuff.
ON the Merek show today FReidman suggested that rink might only seat 3200 after getting it up to nhL standars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad