CXLI - UPDATE 1/27 - Coyotes working on deal to play at 5,000-seat arena at ASU

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I actually think this more of a 6-8 year arrangement. I don't think that Tempe deal will workout and get built as fast as everyone think.

Guys like AM will get the NHL to buy-in on ASU, then take the extra time/years to maximize Tempe local revenue/planning/sales knowing bettman isn't going to do ANYTHING now. Just how those type of guys do business.

I could see the yotes playing at ASU for 10 years to be honest now that I think about it.
I wonder how quickly the club could move to Huston? Is that something that needs lots of work to make happen, or do they just move?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Merek now talking about what happens if the new arena deal doesn't get done? Does the club still play at the University rink indefinitely? Is there another backup plan to keep the team in Arizona?
Who is Merek?

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Merek is mentioning to get the rink up to NHL standards the seating capacity could be closer to 3200. How could the league allow that? Even 5000 is crazy. But 3200! That's ECHL level, isn't it?

What on earth would the NHL need that would cut out 1800 seats??

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Merek is mentioning to get the rink up to NHL standards the seating capacity could be closer to 3200. How could the league allow that? Even 5000 is crazy. But 3200! That's ECHL level, isn't it?

Marek has no clue about the ASU facility. It holds 5000 for hockey, 5300 for basketball.

Merek now talking about what happens if the new arena deal doesn't get done? Does the club still play at the University rink indefinitely? Is there another backup plan to keep the team in Arizona?

If you are the Tempe city council...... and you see a potential business partner willing to pony up millions to play temporarily at a major university that is the #1 economy driver in your city, what does that mean to you?

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Be careful, this could also be a ploy/media piece to keep AZ fans going/paying/interest high.

Watch if they make any big name player trades, should tell you right there what's happening.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Marek has no clue about the ASU facility. It holds 5000 for hockey, 5300 for basketball.

If you are the Tempe city council...... and you see a potential business partner willing to pony up millions to play temporarily at a major university that is the #1 economy driver in your city, what does that mean to you?

By the sounds of it the airport is a much bigger economic driver?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Also consider ASU is a dry campus..... So the facility does not have beer pipes/taps... So even if they get an exemption for Coyotes, that's still bottles/cans and plastic cups, much like many football games.

I would be shocked if they didn't allow booze, and as that is usually considered a good/great profit center.
That "dry campus" thing neve effected the beer flowing at Cardinal games, when they played at Sun Devil Stadium.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Or if you're the Coyotes, it's easier to play the relocation card later since they'll already be in Tempe ;)

Reactions: TheLegend

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
This seems like a last second desperate move to keep the coyotes in Arizona to play in 5000 seat arena till they can get there imaginary arena built ain't going to happen there is no way they will get funding for another arena in fact the state already said no & also said don't let door hit you in the ass on the way out .

I would like to know why the league is so desperate to keep the team in Arizona ? when it is clear no one wants them there for Pete sakes you can fit all the coyotes die hard fans on 1 bus it is pathetic just move them I hear there are 4 cities that would love to have them Houston , Kansas City , Quebec City & Hamilton .

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
This seems like a last second desperate move to keep the coyotes in Arizona to play in 5000 seat arena till they can get there imaginary arena built ain't going to happen there is no way they will get funding for another arena in fact the state already said no & also said don't let door hit you in the ass on the way out .

I would like to know why the league is so desperate to keep the team in Arizona ? when it is clear no one wants them there for Pete sakes you can fit all the coyotes die hard fans on 1 bus it is pathetic just move them I hear there are 4 cities that would love to have them Houston , Kansas City , Quebec City & Hamilton .

and yet Gary B is out here extorting Calgary for a new rink (they do need it in fairness)..... HAHAHA.

No municipality will take Bettmans threats seriously anymore IMO. So consider that as well.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

The state has nothing to do with the proposed Tempe arena.
The league wants to grow the game, it's working.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Hamilton has entered the chat...... :rolleyes:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

There are 2 theories and the which one people believe depends on whether they want the Coyotes to stay in Arizona or not:

1) People who want the team to leave believe its because of Bettman's ego. He worked so hard to keep the team in Arizona that it would be embarrassing for him if they wound up leaving.

2) People who want the team to stay believe that the NHL recognizes the how strong the Arizona market CAN be with a better arena situation and stable ownership.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Houston - only wants them if they can get them cheap.
Kansas City - quite happy with the status quo, no prospective owner.
Quebec City - very doubtful PK Peladeau could afford a team at today's prices.
Hamilton - issues with Toronto/Buffalo, no prospective owner (Balsillie lost much of his money as RIM/BB slowly went under)

None of these are exactly turn-key options. Quebec City is probably the closest, as you have an arena ready to go and an ownership group that knows the hockey business (Remparts), but that's it.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

Nothing really. Coyotes hockey is a tiny tiny fraction of the economic engine of ASU.

The big question is whether the project makes sense for Tempe and whether Meruelo is a reliable partner.

Reactions: Llama19

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Houston - only wants them if they can get them cheap.
Kansas City - quite happy with the status quo, no prospective owner.
Quebec City - very doubtful PK Peladeau could afford a team at today's prices.
Hamilton - issues with Toronto/Buffalo, no prospective owner (Balsillie lost much of his money as RIM/BB slowly went under)

None of these are exactly turn-key options. Quebec City is probably the closest, as you have an arena ready to go and an ownership group that knows the hockey business (Remparts), but that's it.

In all seriousness. I would TEMP move the Yotes to Saskatoon for the X number of years. 15K facility, Dual practice rinks in the same parking lot. Edmonton/Winnipeg/Calgary Ticket prices/lots of booze. Geographically closer to division opponents. WPG/MIN/CHI/St Louis. Every is 1-3 hour flight. Naturally rivalry with WPG/MIN. NO NBA/Ownership to deal with/appease etc.. Cheap rent etc.. Facilities will already by 85% of the way there.

Who do you think buys the Arizona vs NYI/Panthers/Ducks tickets on a tuesday night in AZ anyway? I'm sure the crowd is already 10-15% snowbirds.

Saskatoon is also set to build a new arena in the middle of downtown. I would imagine/hope is basically Videotron center in QC. Rough budget was set a few years back for low avg money. 350-450 Mil. (Which is the same as QC was back a few years ago). It should be going across from the mall on the river where toys-r-us is. Nice spot. Will be nice.

Last edited:

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Nothing really. Coyotes hockey is a tiny tiny fraction of the economic engine of ASU.

The big question is whether the project makes sense for Tempe and whether Meruelo is a reliable partner.

Does it seem like he's been a "reliable partner" thus far in his hockey dealings..

Reactions: Pandemonia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad