Crosby vs Ovechkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Crosby has more points per game and 3 Stanley Cups vs 1, but ask yourself this:

If Crosby and Ovi were in the same draft year, and you were a GM building a team, who do you take???

Bonesy9

Feb 13, 2018

If Crosby and Ovi were in the same draft year, and you were a GM building a team, who do you take???

I would take Crosby too. If we know what we know now. When the players are this close I would lean to the Center that gets as many points with lesser support from line mates.

You don’t have to put Crosby with skill for him to produce.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
If Ovi had Malkin for 13 years he would have 3 cups too. The guy who is the greatest goal scorer of all time in a game where the most important things are scoring and stopping scoring is the better player. Crosby might kick Ovis ass in secondary assists but Im sure Ovi couldn't give 2 shits about that.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Crosby is still better than Ovechkin...but that's not taking away anything from Ovechkin.

6 fewer points in 139 fewer games played.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Have you ever compared McDavids first 3 years in the NHL point wise to Crosby's?

McDavid: 209 gp - 87 G - 159 A - 256 Points
Crosby: 213 gp - 99G - 195A - 294 Points.

Explain to me how McDavid is better than Crosby was at that point in their careers.[/QUOTE]

That's easy. In 2005-2008, #5 in points scored 103-102-96, average 100 points.
In 2015-2018, #5 in points scored 82-85-97, average 88 points.
So benchmarking to a fellow star, in the first three years of McDavid's career scoring was 88% of what it was in the first three years of Crosby's career.

Multiply Crosby's numbers by 0.88 to bring him on the same footing as McDavid:

McDavid: 209 gp - 87 G - 159 A - 256 Points
Crosby: 213 gp - 87G - 162A - 259 Points.

So the numbers are exactly the same, let's look for tie-breakers
In McDavid's favor: an extra Art Ross, an extra Lindsay nomination (to say the least), a top5 finish in goals, most likely an extra 1st All-star team, better ES production.
In Crosby's favor: better playoff numbers, which are at least partly team-related.

When Crosby and Ovechkin retire, Crosby will have passed him in points, lead the league in assists during his playing time and be 2nd in goals.

Crosby has been about to pass Ovechkin in points for years now. What tells you Crosby will be healthier, more durable, and age better?
Besides, who cares? Does compiling during the twilight years mean all that much? Dionne has way more career goals, points, and assists than Lafleur, show me anyone who wants Dionne over Lafleur on his team.
"Leading the league in ___ during his playing time" is also worth nothing. So Crosby will lead Stamkos in goals if we count from 2005 to when Crosby retires. What will it tell us besides the fact that Stamkos started 3 years later and was meh in his first season as a 18-year-old? Will it tell us Crosby is a better goal-scorer than Stamkos? Come on.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I really don’t get it. What would be the reason justifying Ovi having a better career than Sid? Crosby has 2 more cups and 2 smythes, they are basically even in career scoring (Ovi up by 6 points in over 100 more games, not to mention, those games Sid missed were his prime years), Sid has been more consistent, and he’s the better all around player in general. The only thing Ovi beats Sid in is goal scoring. Just because he won a cup and symthe doesn’t mean he even comes close to Sid.

Ovechkin has a higher Peak than Crosby. Crosby has never had a season like Ovechkin 2008 season before. Ovechkin 2008 to 2010 seasons, Crosby also never had any 3 year stretch like this before

Ovechkin has more nhl awards

Ovechkin is a better goal scorer.

Ovechkin was better than Crosby in 2006 2008 2009 2010 2015 2018. Crosby was better in 2007 2011 2013 2014 2016 2017. 2012 inc

If you don't use team accomplishment. It is really close. There is no wrong answer. To say is not close is so ridiculous.

The cup argument is not a fair argument. Crosby plays on the same team with Malkin and many other players that show up in than playoffs. Only this year other Capital players showed up and not just Ovechkin

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind is that Ovechkin missed the entire 2004-05 season because of the strike. He is a year older than Crosby and would have had one more season worth of stats.

As a 19 year old rookie Ovechkin had 52 goals. I will pick a very safe and conservative number and say that he would score 30 as an 18 year old rookie. He currently has 607 career goals and is in 19th all time. Add another 30 and he would be in 15th.

I am not trying to say that Ovechkin has had a better career but he has missed a full season. People tend to forget this.

I am sure Crosby would gladly trade his rookie season for four more full seasons of his peak/prime.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

The player who does everything at an elite level, is more versatile offensively, and didn't take 13 years to figure out what it takes to win.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
The guy with 46% more goals.

The 3x MVP, 50 goalscoring physical menace.

Actual quotes from an NHL coach and GM...

"It's like the five-tool guy vs. the home-run hitter: The five-tool guy finds more ways to win all the time," said a Western Conference head coach not involved in the tourney, via text message after Canada's 5-3 semifinal win Saturday.

"Full-court player vs. half-court player," added an Eastern Conference GM not involved in the World Cup, via text message during the third period.

As voted by NHL players, who played against both of them.

Best player in the NHL?

A:
Sidney Crosby 70%
Alex Ovechkin 0%

It's like saying Brett Hull was the best player of the 1990's because he could score goals.

Playing 200 feet of hockey > Playing 50 feet of hockey

I'm happy Ovechkin won. He was long overdue. He ain't better than Crosby though.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Article date: September 30, 2017
21 players picked Rocket winner (Crosby 44 G)
6 players picked Ross winner (McDavid 100 P)
Goals>>>>Assist
Now read the article and see how many players voted that way because goals > assists

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I think Ovi fanboys are more defensive and insecure vs. Crosby fanboys who are more adoring and hurt when someone doesn't agree.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Now read the article and see how many players voted that way because goals > assists
Routine article as always in this case.
The fact: Sid had 25 fewer assists and 14 more goals than McDavid in 2016-17 season.

Wow, what a stretch. You think they picked Crosby based on his 16/17 season only?
Yes I think so. This was first McDavid full season.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Both fantastic for the league

Ovechkin has kind of reinvented himself a bit

Ovechkin is the more likeable player maybe not the better but it’s like choosing between prime rib and lobster tails

As a person away from the rink my take is Crosby is a super person (it probably kills Bruins fans but both Marchand and Bergeron count him as a close friend and say great things about him off the ice)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad