Crosby vs Ovechkin

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
To bad Sid never played those 100 games maybe he would have more points than Ovie , but he didn't so 0 credit added , and he still would not have more goals or individual awards . Facts over would've could've should've

He would have 2 more art Ross trophies.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
I really don’t get it. What would be the reason justifying Ovi having a better career than Sid? Crosby has 2 more cups and 2 smythes, they are basically even in career scoring (Ovi up by 6 points in over 100 more games, not to mention, those games Sid missed were his prime years), Sid has been more consistent, and he’s the better all around player in general. The only thing Ovi beats Sid in is goal scoring. Just because he won a cup and symthe doesn’t mean he even comes close to Sid.

There are many things that show clearly Ovechkin > Crosby

- Ovechkin has a better peak. Even if we take the best full seasons by Crosby (06/07, 13/14, and 09/10), Ovechkin in 07-10 has a bit higher ppg, the same point lead over the field, and way more goals. If we define peak as three best consecutive years, to underscore the importance of maintaining the peak level of play, it is not close at all, as we will be pitching Crosby's 2012-2015 vs. Ovechkin's 2007-2010.

- Ovechkin had better prime too. Even if we look at their 7 or 9 most productive seasons, the ppg is really close, and Ovechkin's goal-scoring and the fact that he is a goal-scoring winger (and thus will not touch the puck as much and will not get garbage assits from cycling the puck) tip the scales in his favor.

- Ovechkin is more significant historically. His seven-goalscoring titles will not be surpassed for a long time and the same is true about his 7x 50-goal seasons and 9x 45 goal seasons unless they make the nets bigger or smth. We will not have an Ovechkin-caliber goal-scorer probably for decades, and we already have a better Crosby in McDavid.

- On a smaller note, Ovechkin defines LW position (together with Bobby Hull). It is just impossible to tell the history of hockey without Ovechkin. Crosby, on the other hand? How often do you hear about Mikita and his 4 Art Rosses? Now compare that with 7 goal-scoring titles by Bobby Hull or the first 50-in-50 by Richard.

- Ovechkin compares well with Richard; with a couple 40-goal seasons more, let alone another goal-scoring title, he will have Richard beat at Richard's strongest suite (goal-scoring) and will leap-frog him in all-time rankings, and Richard is everyone's top10 ever. Crosby, on the other hand, is hardly better than Mikita, since Mikita was so much better in regular season that Crosby's Cups and Smythes cannot overcome that, and nobody has Mikita in top10 ever.

Reactions: Hippasus and Voight

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
I'm glad Ovechkin finally won a cup. It was long overdue.

But let's not pretend one cup suddenly makes them equals.

And here's the simplest and most powerful argument for it.

What do actual NHL players think?

Best player in the NHL?

A:
Sidney Crosby 70%
Alex Ovechkin 0%

Most overrated player in the NHL?

A:
Alex Ovechkin 2nd 8%
Sidney Crosby 0%

That's according to actual NHL players that play against both of them.

Hockey is a 200 foot game. Scoring goals and blasting one timers is exciting but it's not "hockey", it's part of hockey.

What I was most impressed with about OV this year is that he actually played some semblance of defense. I've seen tons of games against my Pens and he never saw his own goalie, let alone blocked a shot or attempted anything that would resemble defense.

The fact that he played closer to a 200 foot game is a testament to why they finally won.

In 10 years both these guys will be retired and we'll be talking about how great it was to watch both of them.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I think the better question here is: "Crosby Vs Ovi: who's the better goaltender?"

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
One thing to keep in mind is that Ovechkin missed the entire 2004-05 season because of the strike. He is a year older than Crosby and would have had one more season worth of stats.

As a 19 year old rookie Ovechkin had 52 goals. I will pick a very safe and conservative number and say that he would score 30 as an 18 year old rookie. He currently has 607 career goals and is in 19th all time. Add another 30 and he would be in 15th.

I am not trying to say that Ovechkin has had a better career but he has missed a full season. People tend to forget this.

You're assuming that Ovechkin would have come over to the NHL immediately and also ignoring that Crosby missed a buttload of games due to injuries.

To answer the OP, it's still Crosby. Ovechkin had the higher peak, but Ovi fell off a lot after 2010 and has mostly stayed at that level since. Crosby didn't fall off until much later, and his level at this point is higher than Ovi's post decline level.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Ovechkin more goals more points more individual awards more likeable , sorry Sid you don't get credit for games not played . Ovechkin has had the better career as a player . Facts matter.
Shut the f*** up :D you cannot be serious. You just used “more likeable” as a reason to say that Ovi is better, and then have the utter audacity to smugly say “facts matter”?!??!

*Insert any one of thousands of former and current NHL players here* has more goals and more points, and my mom likes his attitude better, sorry McDavid you don’t get credit for games not played. *______* has had the better career as a player. Facts matter.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Shut the **** up :D you cannot be serious. You just used “more likeable” as a reason to say that Ovi is better, and then have the utter audacity to smugly say “facts matter”?!??!

*Insert any one of thousands of former and current NHL players here* has more goals and more points, and my mom likes his attitude better, sorry McDavid you don’t get credit for games not played. *______* has had the better career as a player. Facts matter.
He leads Crosby in every category but assists
He has more indvidual awards so yeah smugly FACTS MATTER and facts don't care about your feelings

Reactions: Hippasus

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Yea real impressive Ovi. Scored 6 more points than Sid in over a hundred more games while also playing with better linemates throughout his career. Has less cups, less smythes. What’s next, Backstrom had a better career than Malkin?
He also has 600 goals to Crosby's 400, that's huge. He also had more MVPs and 7 Rockets t0 Crosby's 2 but let's only talk about Crosby's accomplishments and ignore the things Ovechkin does better.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I stopped trying to help inexperienced fans understand why Crosby is the better player a while ago, you can't teach someone who doesn't want to hear what you have to say let alone actually listen.

Reactions: 99664987

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I'm glad Ovechkin finally won a cup. It was long overdue.

But let's not pretend one cup suddenly makes them equals.

And here's the simplest and most powerful argument for it.

What do actual NHL players think?

Best player in the NHL?

A:
Sidney Crosby 70%
Alex Ovechkin 0%

Most overrated player in the NHL?

A:
Alex Ovechkin 2nd 8%
Sidney Crosby 0%

That's according to actual NHL players that play against both of them.

Hockey is a 200 foot game. Scoring goals and blasting one timers is exciting but it's not "hockey", it's part of hockey.

What I was most impressed with about OV this year is that he actually played some semblance of defense. I've seen tons of games against my Pens and he never saw his own goalie, let alone blocked a shot or attempted anything that would resemble defense.

The fact that he played closer to a 200 foot game is a testament to why they finally won.

In 10 years both these guys will be retired and we'll be talking about how great it was to watch both of them.
You can't use what players think from last year against Ovi. Did you see some of the HF threads that were bumped and the senitment after Ovi lost game 7 last year? The same posters are backtracking apologizing and praising him

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He leads Crosby in every category but assists
He has more indvidual awards so yeah smugly FACTS MATTER and facts don't care about your feelings
Well that’s false as well as misleading - Crosby will pass Ovi for good in points next season and never look back, in far fewer games and despite missing over a hundred games in his prime, and his offensive playoff performance is superior statistically (I could just as easily say that wow, look, Crosby is a better goal scorer in the playoffs). Crosby bests Ovi in almost all categories other than goals, shots, and hits; he has a higher plus-minus, greater shooting percentage, and leads in many relative advanced stats categories as well.

I also contend the individual awards with the fact that Crosby missed out on several in his prime, has had more MVP consideration, and has been won or sincerely considered for all sorts of trophies, including for leadership and defensive play. Ovi is the best goal scorer of the era, and his Rockets support that, no doubt.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I find it really odd how McDavid fans are suddenly jumping on the Ovi bandwagon to try and prop up Ovechkin over Crosby. Well, it's not odd, it's painfully clear to see why they're doing it. It's adorable, though. Such insecurity.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Nobody's denying that he's a better goal scorer. But Sid is simply the better player of the two. Stats don't lie.

NHL All-Time Points per Game Leaders
I never denied that Crosby is better than Ovechkin. What I don't like is when people start cherry picking stats and award matter like saying Crosby has more Cups (team accomplishment) and Conn Smythes but ignore that he has less MVPs and 2 Rockets to 7 for Ovechkin. If you're going to start name dropping awards, you should probably name them all.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I never denied that Crosby is better than Ovechkin. What I don't like is when people start cherry picking stats and award matter like saying Crosby has more Cups (team accomplishment) and Conn Smythes but ignore that he has less MVPs and 2 Rockets to 7 for Ovechkin. If you're going to start name dropping awards, you should probably name them all.
Tbf Sid would have many more MVPs if it wasn't for his injuries.

As for the Rockets, I mean yeah Ovi is a better goal scorer so it's not surprising.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Another 87 & 8 thread lol...

It's always been Crosby! OV winning his first cup (team trophy) doesn't change that!

Congrats to him though, he finally got his cup and conn smythe! Happy for him. Seeing how happy he was when they won was priceless!

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Well that’s false as well as misleading - Crosby will pass Ovi for good in points next season and never look back, in far fewer games and despite missing over a hundred games in his prime, and his offensive playoff performance is superior statistically (I could just as easily say that wow, look, Crosby is a better goal scorer in the playoffs). Crosby bests Ovi in almost all categories other than goals, shots, and hits; he has a higher plus-minus, greater shooting percentage, and leads in many relative advanced stats categories as well.

I also contend the individual awards with the fact that Crosby missed out on several in his prime, has had more MVP consideration, and has been won or sincerely considered for all sorts of trophies, including for leadership and defensive play. Ovi is the best goal scorer of the era, and his Rockets support that, no doubt.
So factual statments are misleading ,are you CNN and like it has been said missed games are not rewarded lol if so Lindros is way better than Crosby , Crosby also had a whopping 2 more points this season than Ovie ,and 20 less goals so at that rate Sid might tie him in points in 20/21

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
So factual statments are misleading ,are you CNN and like it has been said missed games are not rewarded lol if so Lindros is way better than Crosby , Crosby also had a whopping 2 more points this season than Ovie ,and 20 less goals so at that rate Sid might tie him in points in 20/21
Well Ovechkin scores more than McDavid. Therefore Ovi > McBasement

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad