Speculation: Craziest trades that almost happened

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
What year was this? Kind of shocked to read this, unless it was during the time Stammer was injured quite a bit?

What year? I'd assume during his time in VAN?

Seems like it would have been Drouin as he just got drafted in the top 3, pretty similar value to Ekblad being consensus number 1 pick if Drouin was still considered a Center prospect?
Kucherov being a 2nd round pick and only hitting 18pts in his rookie year would have needed a decent plus added? The year Ekblad was drafted, Kuch would put up 29g, 36a for 65pts in 82 games, 10 playoff goals, 12 playoff assists for 22pts in 26 games and become the superstar he is now.

Burke never had Luongo in Vancouver and how could he have traded Lu for Kadri when he was the one that drafted Kadri after he got fired from VAN

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
IMPACT OF ROENICK'S DEAL MAY REACH HARTFORD

Roenick for Niedermayer+Guerin+Rolston+Peluso

That would have been a disaster. It's not only losing Niedermayer, but also Guerin, who turned into Arnott, who was traded for Nieuwendyk and Langenbrunner. We're talking about multiple key contributors for two cup runs.

I also remember years ago an rumor of Lou offering Neidrrmayer for Lafontaine in 95

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Yeah I don't think that putting a 43% CF (-4.6 relative to the rest of Vancouver's garbage defense) player on the top pairing is something that would help us. Tanev might have been good defensively at one point, but he hasn't been in 2-3 years.

And that's ignoring the fact that he's a sneeze away from being on the IR for another few months.
In magic numbers you trust, I see...

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
the rumor was Draistl + Nurse/Klefbom + 4OA for Subban +9OA
Which isnt that bad it didnt happen tbh.
It sucks not to have Dra but we likely would have drafted Pulji (since at the time he was the best prospect left). Since hes busting, Drouin>>>pulji.
So its Subban + Drouin for Drai + Nurse/Klefbom or Weber+Drouin for Dra+Klef... Unless we were gonna draft Tkatchuk. Now that would have been insane! Dra+Tkathuk+Nurse. Holy damn, the robbery.
Not saying we would've been better but our current team would be way different.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
LaFontaine for Yzerman almost happened in the early 90s. Detroit coveted LaFontaine since juniors. If that trade happens Sabres win the cup in 99 and possibly even 98 or another year. Hasek+Yzerman would have been incredible. Hasek alone nearly carried the Sabres to a cup, add a bonafide superstar center and they would have.
If I remember the rumor correctly, the Red Wings wanted us to add Volek if they added Primeau. But the isles refused so the trade was called off.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Brian Lawton seems like a scheister car salesman or lawyer! Doubt that crazy Habs offer was legit!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Brian Lawton seems like a scheister car salesman or lawyer! Doubt that crazy Habs offer was legit!

He still seems that way, particularly when talking about TB. I don't know how reliable his stories about his own time with the team are, but pretty much every bit of insight he gives about the team since his departure ("You can build a team around Jake Dotchin") is laughable at best.

Reactions: Oddbob

JurassicTunga

Mar 21, 2010
Johnny Gaudreau and the 6th overall pick(Sean Monahan) to Boston for Tyler Seguin was close I think at the 2013 draft.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
the rumor was Draistl + Nurse/Klefbom + 4OA for Subban +9OA
Which isnt that bad it didnt happen tbh.
It sucks not to have Dra but we likely would have drafted Pulji (since at the time he was the best prospect left). Since hes busting, Drouin>>>pulji.
So its Subban + Drouin for Drai + Nurse/Klefbom or Weber+Drouin for Dra+Klef... Unless we were gonna draft Tkatchuk. Now that would have been insane! Dra+Tkathuk+Nurse. Holy damn, the robbery.
It was reported that MTL management was really high on Dubois, so it would have been to draft him. Apparently the deal felt through when Colombus selected PLD and that left Puljujarvi to the Oilers, who didn't expect they could draft him.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
It was reported that MTL management was really high on Dubois, so it would have been to draft him. Apparently the deal felt through when Colombus selected PLD and that left Puljujarvi to the Oilers, who didn't expect they could draft him.
but he wasnt there to draft.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Lafontaine was a super star center? One of the highest scoring americans and I think he in the Hall of Fame?
Yes but he had major injury troubles and was dealt prior to the 97-98 season. The return was a 2nd round pick that became Andrew Peters. Yzerman on the other hand scored nearly a ppg (around ~75 per 82) from 97-01 which was the DPE and the end of Haseks run in Buffalo. LaFontaine contributed nothing for Buffalo either in person or his trade return.

Yzerman on the 99 Sabres cup team, or the 98 ECF team or the 01 team loaded with Gilmour, Heinze and other vets with the greatest goalie in his prime would have lead to a cup in one of those 4 seasons.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Rick Martin for Paul Coffey was a hair away from happening back in 1981. The Oilers, to their credit, balked at the last moment.
I remember that, Scotty disliked Martin, Gare, and Schoenfeld, and eventually traded them all.

Coffey was off to a slow start, and Edmonton seriously considered.

If Martin had been dealt to Edmonton prior to his knee injury (thank you Mike Palmateer) he would now easily be a HOF'er.....

If someone else performed the knee surgery who was an Oilers Doctor, he might have been able to play regularly again. Great - great shame...

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
From Buffalo history;

1) Jim Schoenfeld to Chicago for Phil Russell. (Punch Imlach said.)

2) Rick Martin to Detroit for Marcel Dionne. (Punch Imlach. When Marcel had contract issues, and before he went to LA. Maybe Martin +)

3)Peter McNabb and Lee Fogolin to California for Gilles Meloche. (Again Punch alludes to this in his book.)

4)Jacques Lemaire to Buffalo for someone. Never heard who it was, maybe Rene Robert. Topps/O'Pee-Chee got wind of this and erroneously printed up a card with Jacques as a Sabre....

Jacques as A Sabres player..
untitled.png

The mistake was in turn mocked by another company...
untitled  nnn.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad