Speculation: Craziest trades that almost happened

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In 2001 Toronto had a trade agreed with Tampa where they would have sent Nik Antropov and Tomas Kaberle for Vincent Lecavalier, however the Tampa owners at the time overruled Rick Dudley from going forward with the deal.

Another 2001 trade would have seen Nik Antropov and Danny Markov for Eric Lindros, however according to Pat Quinn the deal was agreed upon and he said Bobby Clarke changed his mind at the last minute.

There was also Tomas Kaberle to the Flyers for Jeff Carter and the Flyers 2008 1st round pick, which Kaberle turned down due to his no trade.

In 2006 they could have traded Kaberle and a draft pick to the Oilers for Chris Pronger, however they also wanted Alex Steen and JFJ didn't want to give him up.

Finally another 2001 trade which almost happened was them getting Rob Blake from the Kings, before he was traded to the Avalanche.

Down Goes Brown: The all-time almost-a-Maple-Leaf team - Sportsnet.ca

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Messier to NJ in 92, was nixed by ownership in either NJ or EDM I forget which.

Gomez to Detroit for Datsyuk in 2000 was turned down by Lou.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Subban for Tanev and the 5OA pick in 2016 (maybe even more to it). Deal fell through because Dubois wasn't available for the 5OA pick. Obviously a blockbuster involving Subban actually happened not too long after that.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov
Oct 18, 2011
Oilers' Comrie must pay for trade | CBC Sports

One of my favorite ones is Anaheim agreeing to trade Corey Perry and a 2004 1st round pick to Edmonton for Mike Comrie. But Kevin Lowe was annoyed with Comrie, so he would only do the trade if Comrie paid the franchise 2.5 million (presumably the signing bonus from his original contract).
In 2004 Anaheim drafted Ladislav Smid 9th overall

2 years later he was part of the trade that brought Chris Pronger to Anaheim

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
The two infamous almost deals for the Sens were:

1. Yashin for Yzerman, as mentioned earlier in the thread
2. Bonk & Sami Salo for Vincent Lecavalier

Supposedly the OTT-TBL deal was agreed upon by the GM's but Tampa ownership stepped in and nixed the trade at the last second.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
The Leafs and Flames had conversations about Kipper in his final season, I believe had a deal worked out, but Kipper decided to retire.

The Leafs and Canucks had tried to work on a deal for Luongo, but it fell apart because of his awful contract. Luongo was visibly disappointed about how things turned out, saying his contract sucked.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it but Pacioretty to the Kings nearly happened at the draft but it fell apart when Pac disagreed with the terms. I think the return was something like Toffoli and Vilardi/20th overall pick.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
In 2001 Toronto had a trade agreed with Tampa where they would have sent Nik Antropov and Tomas Kaberle for Vincent Lecavalier, however the Tampa owners at the time overruled Rick Dudley from going forward with the deal.

Another 2001 trade would have seen Nik Antropov and Danny Markov for Eric Lindros, however according to Pat Quinn the deal was agreed upon and he said Bobby Clarke changed his mind at the last minute.

There was also Tomas Kaberle to the Flyers for Jeff Carter and the Flyers 2008 1st round pick, which Kaberle turned down due to his no trade.

In 2006 they could have traded Kaberle and a draft pick to the Oilers for Chris Pronger, however they also wanted Alex Steen and JFJ didn't want to give him up.

Finally another 2001 trade which almost happened was them getting Rob Blake from the Kings, before he was traded to the Avalanche.

Down Goes Brown: The all-time almost-a-Maple-Leaf team - Sportsnet.ca

Crazy to think that Dudley is still around. It's no coincidence that Montreal started making good trades right around the time he left their offices. I dear for Caroline now.

DekeyPete

Dec 18, 2002
pg bc
Cory Schneider, cody hodgson and a 1st for corey perry + was one i heard through scouts. If i remember correctly! *disclaimer*

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
danny heatly for dustin penner , ladisalv smid and andrew coglilano

There was another rumored permutation of the Heatley deal. Not sure how close it was, but I think John Buccigross reported it and normally he steers away from rumors. I think the trade was something like:

San Jose: Dany Heatley
Los Angeles: Patrick Marleau
Ottawa: Jarret Stoll and Alex Frolov

Also I think there was some discussion about a Marleau for Wade Redden swap back in the day, but one of them used a NTC to block it.

If I recall correctly, the Kings and Sharks had a deal in place around the 2007 trade deadline which involved Rob Blake for Evgeni Nabokov. At the time, Nabokov and Vesa Toskala were in a 1A/1B situation with Toskala having been the starter in the previous playoff. The Kings were a mess in net that year. But Blake used his NTC to block the trade since he had just signed to move back to his home in LA. Ironically Blake would sign with San Jose a year+ later anyways. But it's interesting to think of the possible dominoes in this scenario. Would San Jose had been as good with Toskala instead of Nabokov going forward? They'd instead trade Toskala for draft picks which became Logan Couture, so that'd be wiped out in the parallel scenario. For LA, their goaltending in 2007-08 was a mess. But perhaps with Nabokov, they're slightly better which maybe causes them to end up with Zach Bogosian instead of Drew Doughty at the draft.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I remember there was a lot of smoke around a Daniel Alfredsson to Dallas for Joe Nieuwendyk in the early 2000's offseasons (think it was after 00/01).

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Shattenkirk saying "no" to Edmonton which nixed the Shattenkirk for Taylor Hall trade will make me forever despise Kevin Shattenkirk. No matter how nice of a guy.

Anyways one that was heavily rumored and basically confirmed by Jeremy Rutherford (Blues beat) was that at the 2007 draft the Blues almost traded their 3 first round picks (9, 18, 26) to Chicago for #1 overall (Patrick Kane) but the Hawks after very seriously considering it, turned it down at the last minute.

Side note-Blues then traded out of pick 9 and lost out on Couture which would have been a nice prize. Instead ended up with Eller, Perron, and Cole. Which turned into Halak for 2 years, Bortuzzo, and Perron, who also left for a while.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
6th OA in 2013 (Monahan) + Gaudreau (prospect in college) for Seguin was rumored.

The one I did hope was the rumor of the Flames going for 1st OA... Avs trading the 1st OA pick in 2013, MacKinnon for Monahan (6th) + Poirier (22nd) + Klimchuk (28th). Shame they didn't bite on that!

Reactions: viper0220

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Also from Jeremy Rutherford is that a few years ago the Blues almost traded both Oshie and Shattenkirk to the Sharks and it was all but done. But we have no idea what was coming back.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Anyways one that was heavily rumored and basically confirmed by Jeremy Rutherford (Blues beat) was that at the 2007 draft the Blues almost traded their 3 first round picks (9, 18, 26) to Chicago for #1 overall (Patrick Kane) but the Hawks after very seriously considering it, turned it down at the last minute.

Side note-Blues then traded out of pick 9 and lost out on Couture which would have been a nice prize. Instead ended up with Eller, Perron, and Cole. Which turned into Halak for 2 years, Bortuzzo, and Perron, who also left for a while.

There was also a fun behind the scenes video where they were trying to trade up for Jakub Voracek. They offered Edmonton #9 and #24 for #6 but were turned down.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
I didn’t say anything you posted was dumb. You said it yourself and I agreed. I never insulted you at all. Unless you were insulting other posters.

What are you going on about? And yeah, I clearly wrote that the poster above wrote something dumb and hyperbolic. Just calling a spade a spade.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Rumor has it that during the 2000/2001 season, Islanders had a deal on the table for Lindros(Chara and Connolly I believe) but he didn't want to sign with them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad